Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first Christmas without the foods I enjoy :(

there,
    This is my first Christmas following the IC diet strict and being on the elimination diet. This means that I won't have any of the delicious, yummy Christmas foods that I normally would have. I have been sick since September 2010 but never knew what it was back then and was not diagnosed until this fall. So Christmas last year as well as the year before I had the foods, and I also had severe pain 24/7.

Although I know the food will make me flare (I am very sensitive - I hope that it is just now and that it will improve in time) I can not help but feel so SAD about not being able to have any. Today when I went to the store to buy my safe foods everyone was buying all those delicious things I am craving. When I came home I started crying and I wanted it to be January so that Christmas and New Year's would just be another memory. I don't feel like celebrating Christmas at all this year. And now you might think I am crazy to feel this way just because of foods I can not have - but there's more to it than that (parents are divorced - long story but to make it short my family is shattered and my dad does not bother that much about me or my sister and my mother is sick and says she would rather be alone on Christmas)...

I was doing real well. I felt much happier. My symptoms reduced over time. I was prescribed Atarax and it works very well. I see a therapist and she is wonderful and I feel a lot of support. I have a new doctor who seems to care and wants to try to help me anyway she can. I have an appointment with a pain management team. I have found so many friends through ICN - and they give me support, joy and hope all the time. But each time I flare - from cold, food, riding on a bus or something I keep wondering: will this be my life forever!? Why is my bladder SO sensitive!? I managed to control a lot of the symptoms and I am not in pain each day. But still, I have flares like 2-3 times a week. Sometimes more. Cold seems to be a major trigger. I live in northern parts of Sweden - it is REAL cold during winter. I can not change that. I simply feel...deprived of so many things and it makes me sad...

So, for those of you who's been dealing with IC for many years - any advice to me for my very first Christmas with IC? Really need some hope here - for a better future...
    Severe problems started Feb 2011. My IC = mostly severe pain. At times "discomfort" in the bladder/urethra & a "burning sensation". In periods (esp when I flare): urgency/frequency. I had numerous UTI's when I was 1,5 years old - until I was 12.

Treatments I tried so far that made me worse:
    Gepan instillation, Silver nitrate instillation (got worse) Hydrodistention, August 31st 2012 (worse for 4 weeks)

Treatments I tried so far that seems to help:
    Tramadol for pain (does not help if pain is severe but other times it can give good relief), glass of water/baking soda (use that when I feel a flare with burning in urethra), elimination diet (helped me the most so far), going to a therapist once a week, stretches from my PT, TENS unit, Hydroxyzine (Atarax), 25 mg (started Dec 2012), Epsom salts baths when needed.

Well, this is too late now but next time you have a holiday where these foods are the norm (I am thinking Easter) I found out that I can have the sweet potatos, pumkin pie, regular potatos and a very small amount of turkey. Of course I am probably the exception here rather than the norm. There is even a mexican food place that my boss and co-worker goes to a lot, and i can eat there, I know for our office Christmas party they wanted mexican food and we went somewhere that I have never been before so I ordered a enchalida and within minutes I knew that i made a mistake! So that place is on my "not to go list" (I even took prelief and that didn't help much- usually it does.)

Comment

Thanks for your reply.

I did not have any of the foods for Christmas. I stayed to my "safe foods". However today I bought just a small piece of one of the things I would eat for Christmas and had fingernail size sauce that I would eat with that and although I had such a TINY bit and flushed it with LOTS of water I flare now. It's not a severe flare and I am slowly getting it out of my system. But it shows how important sticking to the diet is I guess. Shame on me!

Thanks again for the advice and for replying!
      Mia
      Severe problems started Feb 2011. My IC = mostly severe pain. At times "discomfort" in the bladder/urethra & a "burning sensation". In periods (esp when I flare): urgency/frequency. I had numerous UTI's when I was 1,5 years old - until I was 12.

Treatments I tried so far that made me worse:
      Gepan instillation, Silver nitrate instillation (got worse) Hydrodistention, August 31st 2012 (worse for 4 weeks)

Treatments I tried so far that seems to help:
      Tramadol for pain (does not help if pain is severe but other times it can give good relief), glass of water/baking soda (use that when I feel a flare with burning in urethra), elimination diet (helped me the most so far), going to a therapist once a week, stretches from my PT, TENS unit, Hydroxyzine (Atarax), 25 mg (started Dec 2012), Epsom salts baths when needed.

Comment

Hope you are feeling better by now.

Comment

Working...
        X