Morning Coffee Rediscovered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morning Coffee Rediscovered

Well, it's not pretty and it's not something you can tell your friends about over dinner I guess, but I found a way to have the morning wakeup while still keeping coffee away from the bladder. Homemade caffeine suppositories. There's actually a lot of pros about it: no digestive upset, no bad breath, no staining your teeth, no peeing like crazy...and you can control exactly how much you get, as opposed to the way it usually happens, just mindlessly drinking cup after cup all day...

My doctor thinks it's a little weird (and probably very desperate) but if you're like me and reeealllllllly need a little boost in the morning to function, well, this discovery has been a lifesaver. I've had to remove so many of life's normal little pleasures thanks to IC, so I figure any end-runs I can make around the monster to take my life back, hey great, whatever. I'll have some decaf tea or fake coffee immediately afterwards, and boom, my life feels almost normal again. Anyway, I can provide some information on how I do it if anyone is interested.
    Diagnosed with IC in 2005, PFD in 2016. My sister has had IC for 21 years and our mother over 30. 66 years of bladder fun combined!

Re: Morning Coffee Rediscovered

Originally posted by Pillowfight View Post
    Well, it's not pretty and it's not something you can tell your friends about over dinner I guess, but I found a way to have the morning wakeup while still keeping coffee away from the bladder. Homemade caffeine suppositories. There's actually a lot of pros about it: no digestive upset, no bad breath, no staining your teeth, no peeing like crazy...and you can control exactly how much you get, as opposed to the way it usually happens, just mindlessly drinking cup after cup all day...

My doctor thinks it's a little weird (and probably very desperate) but if you're like me and reeealllllllly need a little boost in the morning to function, well, this discovery has been a lifesaver. I've had to remove so many of life's normal little pleasures thanks to IC, so I figure any end-runs I can make around the monster to take my life back, hey great, whatever. I'll have some decaf tea or fake coffee immediately afterwards, and boom, my life feels almost normal again. Anyway, I can provide some information on how I do it if anyone is interested.
    I don't think that would work for me. There is a pleasure in eating and drinking and enjoying the taste and texture of food on the tongue and in my mouth.... that a suppository just can't mimic.

"When you gotta go, you gotta go!"

Comment

Well, right. To be honest this is mainly about trying to wake up and focus more than trying to mimic a lovely Italian espresso.
      Diagnosed with IC in 2005, PFD in 2016. My sister has had IC for 21 years and our mother over 30. 66 years of bladder fun combined!

Comment

I guess I don't understand about caffeine. I have never been a really big coffee drinker and when it started bothering my bladder I just quit it. Now I only drink water (usually bottled high PH) and I feel much better. I will probably never drink coffee again.

Comment

Has anyone found a low acid/no acid coffee? I really miss my coffee....also, what about Prelief? I would love to know what people's experiences are with it......My URO said he thought it was something I might want to look into....I follow a very strict IC diet but I sometimes wish I could have some coffee or a soda. I have been diagnosed for almost a year now, but have been struggling with the crippling pains for almost 5 years.

Comment

There's this. I tried that over a year ago and bladder didn't go for it, but maybe yours will. Also this one. Usually they don't taste very great. If you're in it for the taste, personally I think this tastes a lot better than the real deal that's been completely neutered (caffeine & acid removed, etc.)

Comment

There's this. I tried that over a year ago and bladder didn't go for it, but maybe yours will. Also this one. Usually they don't taste very great. If you're in it for the taste, personally I think this tastes a lot better than the real deal that's been completely neutered (caffeine & acid removed, etc.)
              The Puroast decaffeinated French Roast is good. I don't know about some of the other blends because I've never tried any other. But the French Roast got mostly very good reviews so that's what I ordered. I only have a cup about every 4-5 months because it increases my frequency and I already pee like a race horse. But I do like the taste.

Even though Puroast is already low-acid, I cold-brew it which removes even more acid.

"When you gotta go, you gotta go!"

Comment

Puroast decaf was the only one I was able to tolerate even when my symptoms went away. I always took two prelief while drinking it, and I do like the taste.

Comment

Originally posted by marta1072 View Post
                  Has anyone found a low acid/no acid coffee? I really miss my coffee....also, what about Prelief? I would love to know what people's experiences are with it......My URO said he thought it was something I might want to look into....I follow a very strict IC diet but I sometimes wish I could have some coffee or a soda. I have been diagnosed for almost a year now, but have been struggling with the crippling pains for almost 5 years.

Check out the ICN Shop --- there's low acid coffee listed there.
                  Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
                  Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
                  Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
                  [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

There are many different medical problems that requires people to give up coffee. IC isn't the only one. Several people in my family have had to give it up and every one of them has said it only took a few days to get over the "caffeine hunger." I don't think it's a good idea to insert anything into the rectum without first talking with a medical professional.
                    Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
                    Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
                    Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
                    [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Indeed...I have. They are amused but not particularly concerned. I originally got the idea by reading an article about the Hasidic Jews in Brooklyn, who apparently do it as a method to get around religious fasting requirements without nightmarish caffeine withdraws. A ridiculous loophole but it works for them. I'm not trying to please God, I'm just trying to stay employable like everybody else.

In any case, if you think this pushes the limits of prudent medical ideas then please delete...probably shouldn't have started the thread.

Comment

Very interesting lol. Hey whatever works. I miss Starbucks so bad. I guess at least I'm saving money on coffee.
                        Diagnosed via cysto/hydro 2/6/2015
                        Symptoms: frequency, urgency. uretha discomfort, mild bladder pain (a raw sore type feeling.)
                        CURRENT TREATMENTS:
                        IC Diet (2/15) , Elmiron 100-300mg (3/15-5/16) insurance issues switched to PPS-DR (5/16-present) 2 150mg capsules daily (pentosan polysulfate sodium same formulation in Elmiron) DH Aloe 3-6 capsules daily (3/15), Schiff Digestive Advantage probiotics 1 pill daily (3/15), Amitriptyline 25mg- (5/15-8/16)attempting to wean down due to suspected weight gain side effect. Hydroxydine 25-50mg as needed at bedtime (5/15) Quercetin 2 pills daily to help immune system and body inflammation. Cystoprotek 4 capsules daily (8/15). Prelief as needed.
                        USE DURING FLARES: Heating pad, ice packs for PFD, Vaginal Valium 10-20mg, Uribel, Pelvic floor stretches.
                        PAST TREATMENTS: PFD physical therapy (6/15-10/15) & Counseling for stress mgt (9/15-12/15) both very helpful. GNC brand progesterone cream (not sure if this made a difference). Too many different diets and herbs to list.
                        TRIGGERS: STRESS STRESS STRESS. BCP. Hormonal fluctuance (ovulation/period). Coffee, artificial preservatives and dyes.

Comment

I found a good substitute when I want a hot drink-although it does not supply any caffeine. I make a strong cup of chamomile and peppermint tea, and then sweeten it with honey and add vanilla flavored almond milk. Overall it gives the feeling of drinking a nice cup of cappucino or a latte. Be careful to read the ingredients on your tea box - some herbal teas actually have tea in them. I use twinings chamomile and twinings peppermint tea.

Comment

I buy Pure roast from Amazon-it's low acid! Doesn't seem to bother my bladder and I use Coffee tamer. You can buy like 100 packs in a box at Amazon. Pretty good price!
                            I'm def a coffee lover and when I got diagnosed it really upset me. I just can't quit cold turkey so I have 1/2 to 1- cup a day by using the low acid and coffee tamer!

Comment

Hi Pillowfight
                              I am with you. I love that feeling coffee gives you in the morning and miss it a lot. I have mild IC however and do have one from time to time without
                              too much trouble so I guess I am lucky. I have cut it out for months but still crave that feeling. So if you could message me how you do it I would be
                              interested. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                              X