Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips from a former smoker

Hi all,

It's great that you are trying to quit smoking! I know how hard it can be. I had quit for 2 months about 11 years ago. Then about 2 1/2 years ago I finally quit for good. I had smoked a pack a day for over 12 years. It was one of the best decisions I ever made, I now feel better than I ever have. And I don't know how I ever found the money to keep smoking, especially when the prices went up over $2/pack. When I started, I could buy a pack for 65 cents!

Just thought I'd pass along a few tips that I have used and that I have heard can work:

I didn't tell anyone that I was quitting, just in case it didn't work. I also didn't keep track of how long I had been without a cigarette. I still am not quite sure what the date was of my last cigarette, only that it was during the first half of January. I tried not to think about smoking or not smoking, I just tried to keep it off my mind completely.

At first, I stayed away from places that I know would have a lot of smokers. Fortunately, most of my family and friends no longer smoke, so this wasn't too difficult. I had to retrain my mouth in restaurants to start asking for the non-smoking section though. That took awhile.

Once the nicotine is out of your system (after about a week), you are fighting the mental addiction and habit. Change your routine -- If you used to sit down every morning with a cup of coffee and a cigarette, do something different with that time, like take a walk or find an activity or hobby that uses both hands. Your brain associates certain activities with smoking, so if you don't do the same activities in the same way you can trick your brain into forgetting about the cigarette.

Use the money you would normally spend on cigarettes on something special for yourself or your family. Put the money away in a container or bank account and see how fast it accumulates! Save it up to use for a something constructive, like a vacation, rather than having it all go up in smoke.

If you slip and have a cigarette, don't give up! The last time I quit, it actually took me a week or so to finally be through with cigarettes. After a few days, I decided I needed a cigarette, so I lit one up. It tasted awful and I became very light-headed and queasy. A few days later, I tried another cigarette, same reaction. I didn't look at these slips as a failure, but as verification of why I was quitting.

Good luck to all of you! You CAN do it!

This is my third attempt at quiting, 6 months, each time I start again its cause I'm stressed out about my bladder, which I know is crazy cause it doesn't help, but Its the first thing I do. I quite for 6 months this time and smoke a couple but I'm going to quit again.

Comment

Working...
    X