X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• krist656
    replied
    Re: Work & IC

I have trigeminal neuralgia (chronical nerves illness) and I have to keep my head and neck always protected by wind. I have always hat (even summer, or at least scarf) and jacket to cover this area. I can not stand any wind. And you have no idea how many impolite people come to ask, why I have so many clothes???? I mean, does it hurt you that I have warmer clothes than you? You have no mind to think that there can be reason for that? Of course it hurts me, but when somebody comments, I always go and explain, and not very sweet way. I find it awful.

Not to speak about IC!! As I read some comment here before, she tells very gladly and openly, what kind of bladder illness she has. People should be more considerable, and you should not be ashamed to explain, they should be ashamed to ask too much! But ok, I find also those last 2 explanations good (can not stand acid food, being allergic, or you take medications).

Leave a comment:

• Hjane26
    replied

I've been dealing with this a lot at work lately. Being in a professional career, there are always events where food is present. As if I weren't "weird" enough because I am a vegetarian, I can no longer eat all the things that bother my bladder now. I do okay with events that there are finger foods, but I always seem to end up at meetings and seminars where there are sit-down meals and I do not even know what to tell them to make me. I hate for them to waste food and make something for me that I can't eat, but it gets old that people act like it's the end of the world if I just tell them that i've already eaten, and I don't want anything.

Also, having just got married, I also have to deal with everyone thinking I'm pregnant because I'm suddenly no longer drinking. Bleh. I just started telling people what's going on...I don't even care anymore lol. I would much rather embarrass them (for asking) by blurting out that I have major bladder issues, rather than have to listen to them guess 10 reasons why I'm not eating or drinking something that night. Why does everyone care so much what other people eat anyway?? Haha

Leave a comment:

• miniguinea73
    replied

I've told some of my friends at school (my workplace) about my IC, and they've been supportive, but I don't tell everyone. I do it on a need to know basis. I bring my own water and no one says anything, and I explain that I take medication that doesn't allow alcohol. As for food, I play that one by ear. I usually just explain that I have a lot of food sensitivities and allergies and laugh it off. But, I only do that if there is a function with food. So it really doesn't come up much.

Leave a comment:

• ICNDonna
    replied

[QUOTE=espsar;645679]I recently got promoted (yay!) although the stress sent me into a flare :(

But my question is this: how do you explain IC in the workplace? I frequently entertain clients and used to drink wine with them. Now that I've been diagnosed, I'm wondering what story to tell. Actually telling them about IC seems tmi, but if I say nothing they'll all think I'm pregnant. And they will probably ask why I'm not drinking. I'm thinking of saying I have an allergy to acidic foods and beverages. It's true in a way, but doesn't bring up pee (an awkward convo in a business setting). Anyone have experience with this? Any thoughts much appreciated![/QUOTE]

If you really think about it, there are lots of people who don't drink wine, some for religious reasons, some are alcoholic, or some have IC or other problem that doesn't allow alcoholic beverages. One thing you could do is to request iced spring water or another beverage instead. If you act confident and smile, it won't even be noticed.

Sending encouraging thoughts,
    Donna

Leave a comment:

• espsar
    started a topic Work & IC

Work & IC

I recently got promoted (yay!) although the stress sent me into a flare :(

But my question is this: how do you explain IC in the workplace? I frequently entertain clients and used to drink wine with them. Now that I've been diagnosed, I'm wondering what story to tell. Actually telling them about IC seems tmi, but if I say nothing they'll all think I'm pregnant. And they will probably ask why I'm not drinking. I'm thinking of saying I have an allergy to acidic foods and beverages. It's true in a way, but doesn't bring up pee (an awkward convo in a business setting). Anyone have experience with this? Any thoughts much appreciated!
Working...
X