This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Jen's Tips for Great IC Sex

Thanks Beau859 I also shave because I to feel it lessens the chance of infection.

Just wanted to let people know last night hubby and I had sex and afterwards i followed the tips of cold washer, going to toilet etc afterwards and I also had a glass of water with half a teaspoon of baking soda in it and I was pain free when I woke up this morning!!!! for the last two days Ive been having Baking soda in water morning and nite and honextly Im amazed at the difference its made to me!

Comment

Hey all, I've got a question for the masses:

I have been on CystaQ for about 10 months now, and vaginal valium cream suppositories 2x a week at the lowest possible dose for about 2 1/2 months, and they have both helped me greatly. My question is, do any of you find that vaginal valium hampers your ability to get um, aroused, before sex? I have been celibate in the year and a half that I've had this condition, never had any prospects, but I'm now noticing that even just by myself at home, I'm super dry a lot of the time, even after I've been thinking about stuff that usually turns me into a virtual waterfall, if you know what I mean

could the muscles be so relaxed that they aren't able to, I don't know...tighten up in preparation for doin' the horizontal mambo? I ask you all this because I really, *really* don't want to talk to my condescending male pharmacist about this :P

Comment

Yes, libbyf_2009, the burning sensation that you describe is the pain that I have experienced with intercourse. It has nothing to do with my bladder hurting like many others have described. Switching from a water based lube to a 100% silicone lube was helpful. I am more than twice your age, so estrogen deficiency is a contributor, however I take bioidentical estrogen and this too has been of assistance. Please let me know if you have made any more progress since your post as I too would like to get to the bottom of this.

Comment

is anyone know sex tips for men ?

i have IC with Fibromyalgia

Comment

I have been with my boyfriends for 3.5 years, and he has been very patient with my IC, understanding that having sex for me is very painful. I tend to get a sharp pain and constant burning during and afterwards, and am usually uncomfortable for several days afterwards. Does anyone have any tips to reduce painful symptoms during/from sex? I'd love to have a healthy sex life once again, and I'm currently very nervous to try.

Thanks!

Comment

Lizzle117 I take Naproxen either just before or after sex to keep pain and inflammation down.My problem is really not during sex but after. I get a lot of inflammation. The Naproxen really helps. I also take 1 Macrobid antibiotic after sex to prevent uti's. During sex I use coconut oil as a lubricant. It helps with uti's as it is an antibacterial. Hope that hepls.
              Daughter your faith has made you well,go in peace, and be healed of your disease.(Mark 5:34)

Tried:
              Detrol:only took one pill and it made me sick
              Elmiron:caused horrible pain(took 1 week)
              CystaQ:caused alot of burning and pain(only took one pill)
              Wellbutrin:only on it for three days as it caused alot of bladder pain
              Elavil:Took one pill and it caused a flare that lasted almost two weeks. It was the longest flare I've ever had. Never again..ouch
              Prelief:made my bladder burn and feel tingly.

Take:
              Uracyst:Started May 19 2011
              Enablex:take one pill daily with no issues
              Naproxen:for pain as needed
              Baking Soda with water:as needed and it's a God send. It brings down my pain within 20 mins.
              Venofer: Started April 2012 by IV for low Iron. I do not tolerate oral Iron so this is the route I had to take.Does not bother my bladder but did have other side effects. I take Benedryl with each treatment to avoid side effects.
              Supplements:Whey Protein powder daily
              Dessert Harvest Aloe It has been helping alot but I can only take it every two days as my "die off" reaction has been severe.

Comment

Hi Jodi,
                I know what you mean and it can be uncomfortable. Do you experience this all the time or only occasionally?
                I think I get this sometimes too, and I know I do just before a period when my uterus is slightly swollen and full. Also he can definitely be hitting your bladder. So try another position when you are vigorously thrusting like him from behind (doggy style) as this drops your bladder forward and out of the way for me. You on top bent forward is another good one because you can adjust how much penetration there is. And remember our vaginas are only about4 inches long so they are going to be hitting all soft tissue around the cervix , bladder, bowel. I find if all these organs are full there's not much room to move. Good luck:-)
                UTI 3/2015
                IC ,PFD
                prescribed meds: Endep 60mg, Elmiron 400mg, BC. Enablex 7.5mg.

Supplements: Chitomur peptide, colostrum, Echinacea, liver detox swisse, calcium citrate, glucosamine, Psyllium Husk.

Daily diet: Breakkie- oats with chia seeds and no fat milk. Post workout-turkey breast with mixed veggies. Lunch-raw green soup with rye roll and handful of peanuts/almonds. Dinner- changes but meat and veg. Dessert-banana and sugar free custard (homemade) or banana and apple bake with almonds cinnamon and honey with a dollop of coconut cream.

Tried: tramadol, cystoprotek, multi right, diazepam, vesicare, Ditropan, mirabegron, Flomax, lyrica, progesterone.

Comment

So many great tips there thanks. I also do the ice pack after to reduce inflammation,and lube is a must. I try to reduce the amount of time we "thrust" for and that helps. I put a cortisone cream just on the underside of the urethra where redness occurs from penetration. I also take a ural in the morning to ease the "first morning wee". I've just started taking trimethoprim post coital to reduce infections.
                  UTI 3/2015
                  IC ,PFD
                  prescribed meds: Endep 60mg, Elmiron 400mg, BC. Enablex 7.5mg.

Supplements: Chitomur peptide, colostrum, Echinacea, liver detox swisse, calcium citrate, glucosamine, Psyllium Husk.

Daily diet: Breakkie- oats with chia seeds and no fat milk. Post workout-turkey breast with mixed veggies. Lunch-raw green soup with rye roll and handful of peanuts/almonds. Dinner- changes but meat and veg. Dessert-banana and sugar free custard (homemade) or banana and apple bake with almonds cinnamon and honey with a dollop of coconut cream.

Tried: tramadol, cystoprotek, multi right, diazepam, vesicare, Ditropan, mirabegron, Flomax, lyrica, progesterone.

Comment

I was just reading a blog on pelvicpainrehab.com dated May 12,2016 entitled "Slippery When Wet" .The pelvic rehab PT said that KY jelly, Astroglide,Replens and Gynol II all kill the natural lactobacilli that maintain a healthy vaginal environment.Wow, my PA recommended Replens,fortunately I don't often need it. Recommended were coconut oil,aloe, and others.I highly recommend the website and the blog too-lots of topics of current interest regarding many aspects of pelvic health and disease.

Comment

Originally posted by icshorty View Post
                      I was just reading a blog on pelvicpainrehab.com dated May 12,2016 entitled "Slippery When Wet" .The pelvic rehab PT said that KY jelly, Astroglide,Replens and Gynol II all kill the natural lactobacilli that maintain a healthy vaginal environment.Wow, my PA recommended Replens,fortunately I don't often need it. Recommended were coconut oil,aloe, and others.I highly recommend the website and the blog too-lots of topics of current interest regarding many aspects of pelvic health and disease.
                      Thanks for the info icshorty, when I was going to PT, she never mentioned anything like that, but I have so much pain in that region, sex has been non existent for at least a year now. I have Pelvic Floor Dysfunction as well as Fibromyalgia, but this is really good to know.

Comment

Hi everyone,

I've been dating an incredible woman who was diagnosed with IC about a year ago.

We have great sex. Nothing in the foreplay or during sex seemed to be a problem. It's after the act. She experiences the burning urethra that gets so bad she'll go for an instillation. I feel absolutely horrible because I feel it's something that I'm causing her. We slowly are incorporating some of the techniques described in these threads. I feel like we're making some progress. We've even come to an understanding that sex may be a one to two times a week activity.

Some things we've incorporated so far:
                        Cool cone dilator, Valium suppositories, peeing before and after, lubricant (organic coconut oil), cool damp cloth placed on vulva/urethra followed by an Epsom salt/baking soda 20 minute warm bath. If the urethral pain is really bad she'll schedule an instillation with her urologist. We take things very slow, minimize any grinding on the urethral area, I hold my weight off of her pelvic/stomach area, utilize positions that minimize urethral rubbing.

So my questions:
                        1. I've read that after sex a cool cloth should be placed on the vulva/urethra area to cool things down. I've also heard of utilizing a heating pad. When is it time to use hot or cold to help?
                        2. I've also read that drinking water with a small amount of baking soda and peeing a couple times before sex will run the mixture through the bladder and through the urethra. Will this help with the after sex burning feeling?
                        3. Pyridium is a suggestion I read. Is this something that needs to be taken daily or is this a medication that can be taken only before sex with plenty of water. Also, peeing a couple times before sex to run the mixture through the bladder and urethra. What does the Pyridium do and is there any side effects to be aware of? She already has to take meds and the thought of introducing another may not be in her interest.
                        4. Positions using pillows. We know that positions play a huge role of how bad she'll hurt afterward. Anything keeping me away from rubbing against the urethral area will limit the amount of discomfort afterwards. Anyone use pillows or those Liberator products and have had success with them?
                        5. One of the obstacles we're not sure how to get around is size. She tells me I'm larger than average. This is a challenge for us because with all we've able to try there will still be some discomfort. Anyone have similar experiences and tips on how to overcome this?
                        6. Since we know that sex is more comfortable once or twice a week, is it safe to have sex more than once on our "date" night? We still follow the routines we have in place but we may have sex twice in the same night.

I really care very much about my girlfriend and we've even discussed long term future plans together. I can see and feel her frustration after sex and she begins to feel the burning come on. Sometimes she'll vent that frustration and it makes me feel down. But I can't imagine what she is going through. When she describes the pain she endures because of sex any venting towards me I feel is completely justified. I want to do my part in making sure the pain is the absolute minimum it can possibly be. Perhaps with some luck and the advice in these forums we may find a good combination or routine that allows us to have sex without any discomfort to her. It may be possible, right?

Any feedback or advice is greatly appreciated.

Comment

wow I just want to say how amazing you are to care enough to do the research on a disease you don't have to make things easier on your girlfriend. You are our hero! Sex one or twice a week. If she has IC and is able to manage that you are already doing very well. Lots of people with IC cannot have sex at all or rarely. there are lot who still do have sex regularly but once to twice a week is what a healthy couple who doesn't have pelvic pain has so I am actually jealous. I haven't had sex in about 5 months due to chronic infections. The tips you noted below are what I follow. I also use an anti inflammatory after sex to keep the inflammation down. Pelvic floor therapy has been very successful for many also. The burning is inflammation she has. I am fine during sex as well it's after hours or the day after that the burning starts. I am sure you will get some good feedback here to help you out. Good luck and from an IC sufferer point of view thank you so much for being willing to walk this battle with one of us and caring enough to do the research. I truly mean it when I say you are our hero!

Originally posted by Amonty72 View Post
                          Hi everyone,

I've been dating an incredible woman who was diagnosed with IC about a year ago.

We have great sex. Nothing in the foreplay or during sex seemed to be a problem. It's after the act. She experiences the burning urethra that gets so bad she'll go for an instillation. I feel absolutely horrible because I feel it's something that I'm causing her. We slowly are incorporating some of the techniques described in these threads. I feel like we're making some progress. We've even come to an understanding that sex may be a one to two times a week activity.

Some things we've incorporated so far:
                          Cool cone dilator, Valium suppositories, peeing before and after, lubricant (organic coconut oil), cool damp cloth placed on vulva/urethra followed by an Epsom salt/baking soda 20 minute warm bath. If the urethral pain is really bad she'll schedule an instillation with her urologist. We take things very slow, minimize any grinding on the urethral area, I hold my weight off of her pelvic/stomach area, utilize positions that minimize urethral rubbing.

So my questions:
                          1. I've read that after sex a cool cloth should be placed on the vulva/urethra area to cool things down. I've also heard of utilizing a heating pad. When is it time to use hot or cold to help?
                          2. I've also read that drinking water with a small amount of baking soda and peeing a couple times before sex will run the mixture through the bladder and through the urethra. Will this help with the after sex burning feeling?
                          3. Pyridium is a suggestion I read. Is this something that needs to be taken daily or is this a medication that can be taken only before sex with plenty of water. Also, peeing a couple times before sex to run the mixture through the bladder and urethra. What does the Pyridium do and is there any side effects to be aware of? She already has to take meds and the thought of introducing another may not be in her interest.
                          4. Positions using pillows. We know that positions play a huge role of how bad she'll hurt afterward. Anything keeping me away from rubbing against the urethral area will limit the amount of discomfort afterwards. Anyone use pillows or those Liberator products and have had success with them?
                          5. One of the obstacles we're not sure how to get around is size. She tells me I'm larger than average. This is a challenge for us because with all we've able to try there will still be some discomfort. Anyone have similar experiences and tips on how to overcome this?
                          6. Since we know that sex is more comfortable once or twice a week, is it safe to have sex more than once on our "date" night? We still follow the routines we have in place but we may have sex twice in the same night.

I really care very much about my girlfriend and we've even discussed long term future plans together. I can see and feel her frustration after sex and she begins to feel the burning come on. Sometimes she'll vent that frustration and it makes me feel down. But I can't imagine what she is going through. When she describes the pain she endures because of sex any venting towards me I feel is completely justified. I want to do my part in making sure the pain is the absolute minimum it can possibly be. Perhaps with some luck and the advice in these forums we may find a good combination or routine that allows us to have sex without any discomfort to her. It may be possible, right?

Any feedback or advice is greatly appreciated.
                          Daughter your faith has made you well,go in peace, and be healed of your disease.(Mark 5:34)

Tried:
                          Detrol:only took one pill and it made me sick
                          Elmiron:caused horrible pain(took 1 week)
                          CystaQ:caused alot of burning and pain(only took one pill)
                          Wellbutrin:only on it for three days as it caused alot of bladder pain
                          Elavil:Took one pill and it caused a flare that lasted almost two weeks. It was the longest flare I've ever had. Never again..ouch
                          Prelief:made my bladder burn and feel tingly.

Take:
                          Uracyst:Started May 19 2011
                          Enablex:take one pill daily with no issues
                          Naproxen:for pain as needed
                          Baking Soda with water:as needed and it's a God send. It brings down my pain within 20 mins.
                          Venofer: Started April 2012 by IV for low Iron. I do not tolerate oral Iron so this is the route I had to take.Does not bother my bladder but did have other side effects. I take Benedryl with each treatment to avoid side effects.
                          Supplements:Whey Protein powder daily
                          Dessert Harvest Aloe It has been helping alot but I can only take it every two days as my "die off" reaction has been severe.

Comment

How do you cope with having VV and sex? Would love to talk with you more if you don’t mind. I am not sure but I think I have this. Only hurts with pressure from sitting....burns! No problems during sex.

Comment

Working...
                            X