Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with Jen, if your bladder is inflamed, it definitely can "get in the way", lol. Or sometimes deep penetration bothers me due to him bumping into my cervix - ouch! Some positions are just too uncomfortable due to that, I feel bad sometimes having to say "whoa there sweetie!" LOL, but don't feel like being uncomfortable...
    Hugs,
    Tracey
    How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time...

Harry arrived 2/23/09!

*IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

IC Diet Cheat Sheet:
    http://www.ic-network.com/diet/2009icdietlist.pdf

Dx's:
    IC dx'd Nov 2004
    Lymphocytic Colitis dx'd July 2005
    Possible IBS
    Current IC Meds
    Vistaril 25mg in the evening
    Previous IC Meds taken:
    Cystoprotek - 2 caps 2x's a day
    Elmiron, 100mg 3x's a day
    Ditropan, 5 mg 3x's a day
    Others:
    Wellbutrin 150mg 2x's a day for Anxiety/IBS
    Pepcid 40mg a day for GERD
    Zytrec for Nasal Allergies
    Align Probiotic daily for IBS

Comment

Thanks so much for all that great information.
      Having IC in this time of my life sucks. (Any time would)
      I was just newly married. Wow my husband loves sex as much as I do. I finally.
      My ex-husband very rarely wanted it. He always told me that all I ever think about. Because I would ask for it maybe once a month. We would do it only like once every three or four months.
      But now my husband and I are once dayers sometimes twice. Even though it's uncomfortable for me. I still enjoy it. I used lots of ice packs.
      Before the doctors figured out I had IC they just kept blaming all my symptoms on sex. Told us to stop. We did and didn’t make any different.

I have a question. I can’t use a vibrator at all. They put my in to full flare.
      Does this happen to anyone else? And why would it?

Comment

LOL, ok, I need to chat with my hubby...I tease that I am the guy in the relationship, lol!! The only problem I had before IC diagnosis, due to sex, was the feeling the next day like we'd had very "vigorous" sex, lol. I never even attributed it to my bladder... And once I got bladder under control, thankfully that is one thing that went back to the way it was. I didn't have pain from sex before, and I remember worrying if all that had changed....

I think the vibrator trouble is one of those things again, that depends on the ICer. I have no problem with them now, but I remember that in the beginning (the dark days, lol right at and around diagnosis) it was just TOO much stimulation, and did not feel good at all. Now, I am fine with them. So, think it just depends, sometimes I wish IC had a definite rule book it followed on certain things, lol!!!!
        Hugs,
        Tracey

Harry arrived 2/23/09!

*IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

IC Diet Cheat Sheet:

Dx's:
        IC dx'd Nov 2004
        Possible IBS
        Current IC Meds
        Previous IC Meds taken:
        Others:

Comment

I can use a vibrator, and do. However, if I feel at all flare-y, I stay away from it, because all that extra stimulation will just make my crotch throb in a BAD way Occasionally, I've felt unexpected pain after using mine though -- I guess it just depends on the day.

However, like Traceann, in the beginning before I had adequate treatment I just did not want to put anything down there, except for ice packs or a heating pad!! I think it will eventually get better for you too... I hope so
          Jen

*Diagnosed with severe IC in 2004
          *Also diagnosed with PFD, fibromyalgia, chronic myofascial pain, IBS, migraines, allergies/asthma, dermatographism
          *Kept trying a million different treatments for all these things until I found what works, and I am doing okay these days with the help of a cocktail of medications and the InterStim, which was first placed in 2007. [I have had 2 revisions - one in 2010 when my battery died and had to be replaced, and one complete replacement (lead and generator) in 2012 after a fall on my stairs caused my lead to move.]
          *Current meds include Atarax (50mg at night), Lyrica (150mg twice a day), Xanax (0.5mg at night and as needed), Zanaflex (4mg at night), hydrocodone (10/325, every 6 hours as needed), Advair, Nasonex, Singulair (10mg at night), oral contraceptives, home instills containing Elmiron and Marcaine (as often as I need to do them).

**I am not a medical authority nor do I offer definitive medical advice. I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

Jen,

If you ever find any information on tips for men that have IC could you share some with us. I feel like I may never be able to be physically intimate with anyone without having a large amount of pain.

Thanks,

Mick

Comment

thanks jen-i think my uro-gyno did try to find out what he's "hitting" and most likely it is the bladder according to her. also, i think it's a matter of finding the right position as well...sad to say but i'm not really looking forward to it...

thank you again.

jodi

Comment

Mick:

I run a support group in Florida; I have a Sex & IC hand-out that applies to both men and women. You may also want to take a look at the Pelvic Floor Dysfunction (PFD) Fact Sheet, which I can also send you. PFD can make your IC symptoms worse and can make intercourse painful. You can discuss both informational handouts with your healthcare provider to see if any of the options are appropirate for you.

If you are interested in the information please send me an email at [email protected] and I will email the Fact Sheets and Hand-Outs to you or anyone else who is interested - as it applies to both sexes.

The contents in this post are provided for informational purposes only. The contents are not intended in any way to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding your medical condition.

Best wishes, ICB
                Last edited by ICB; 07-06-2006, 03:56 PM.

Comment

If you are trying to conceive (or are looking for an alternative lube), try Pre-Seed. It was the least irritating lube I've ever used.

Also, these are pricey, but I LOVE these pillows. Liberator - as seen in Meet the Fockers movie. Be aware, their website is graphic. The pillows are worth every $$$. Great for relieving pelvic pain and urethra pressure.
                  Melanie
                  __

Comment

Thank-you so much for those tips!!!!!!!!!!!! I was ready to loose my mind until I tried your secrets and boy oh boy they sure help! I can actually be intimate again!!!!!!! thanx so much :woohoo:
                    *~Jimmiesgirl~*

Happily married 40 year old mother of 2 kids
                    Dx'd- Migraines
                    IBS- 2003
                    Acute Ulcerative Colitis- 2004
                    Chronic yeast infections-1980's
                    Gerd/Acid Reflux- 1980's
                    Endometrial Ablation- May 2005
                    Female issues, cysts, fibroids, adeno led to
                    Hysterectomy August 31 2005
                    Gallbladder removed Nov. 9, 2005
                    Cystoscopyw/Hydrodistention 12/05 & 07/06
                    Prolapsed bladder Dec. 16, 2005
                    Countless ultrasounds, MRI's, CTscans
                    Sub-urethral sling Feb.2006

Meds- Topomax- migraines
                    Cymbalta- depression
                    Asacol- IBS/Colitis
                    Percocet- Pain
                    Trazadone- sleep aid
                    Clonazapam- anxiety
                    Skelaxin-muscle relaxer
                    Prevacid- gerd/acid reflux
                    Elmiron - IC symptoms
                    Hydroxyzine- IC symptoms
                    Amitriptyline- IC symptoms
                    DMSO instills- weekly
                    Detrol & Vesicare

Comment

oh wow, thanks for this list! i'll have to look into those pillows, lol

and as for vibrators, as someone said, i think it just depends on the ICer. i for one can't use one inside (ow my god i don't even wanna think about it) but i can use it, er, topically and be just fine.

and, heh- i was having a very bad time of feeling down about this the other day and my ex (who is one of my best friends in the world) told me, 'hey. don't worry. nature designed guys to be indescriminate. to us, getting lucky is getting lucky, and it doesn't matter how you do it.' that gave me a laugh and a smile, lol- it's reassuring to know guys will take, ehm, 'other' methods aside from straight-forward sex, lol
                      "i'm starting to feel
                      all of my bruises imagined are real
                      i'll get through each day
                      dig through the bad ones
                      to get to the good ones
                      who's keeping score anyway?"

ADD: diagnosed 1993
                      depression: diagnosed 2002
                      IC: diagnosed december 2005
                      borderline personality disorder: diagnosed january 2006

a life spent trying to sing, doodle, laugh, and generally avoid the bad stuff: diagnosed at birth

Comment

LOL, oh very very true!! They are funny creatures sometimes, eh? But good for us that they have those views, whew!
                        Hugs,
                        Tracey

Harry arrived 2/23/09!

IC Diet Cheat Sheet:

Dx's:
                        IC dx'd Nov 2004
                        Possible IBS
                        Current IC Meds
                        Previous IC Meds taken:
                        Others:

Comment

Jodi ,
                          I have that "hitting" feeling too. My only conclusion is that um..... if your partner is big then sometimes it can just go really far in there. My husband is that way(NOT ALWAYS A GOOD THING,LOL!!) and sometimes I swear he is inside my stomach!! I didnt notice this with the smaller partner. So I dont know. My gyn also told me that some men are just too big for some women!!
                          I love this thread!! You rock Jen. Not only for posting this but for admitting to um... masturbation!! I hate that women have to be like, oh no we dont do that!! Ha ha. I had my whole family rolling at our ladie lunch talking about it. My aunt tried to insist she had never done it!! So I sent her a "silver bullet" for Christmas!! I told her it is number 2 on things you must do before you die!!
                          Thanks Sarah
                          Current meds; , effexor 37.5 mg 2 times a day, and lyrica 100 mg 3 times a day, lots of reading and snuggling with the pets!

Comment

Great post. 2 things that help me, "doggy style" and using a pillow to tilt my pelvis so he is not hitting my bladder like in the normal missionary position.
                            Was diagnosed with IC in 1993 after extensive endometriosis and total hysterectomy.
                            MEDS: Attarax, Zantac, Zanaflex, Oxycontin, Lortab, Urimax and daily instillations of Lidocaine, sodium bicarbinate and heparin (lifesavers)
                            Have used Elmiron & Elavil w/o any improvement

Now have a possible dx of fibromyalgia. Working on confirming that or hopefully ruling it out

Comment

Like most everyone here, I have a lot of pain during and after sex and it has kept my husband and I from getting intimate more often than I'd like to count. Also, like a couple people have mentioned, my bladder gets jarred and hit (I did go to the GYN and he told me this). On top of all that, I am dry dry dry... and it seems that no lube can last until the end. These are a few things that help.
                              1. take it slow and oral sex to get things started and help with the dryness. Actually hubby can tell what a time it's going to be from that and it helps us to gague things.
                              2. use pillows either for him or me depending on what position we can do. Sometimes, he needs to be higher for me to be more comfortable. Other times, I need something under my back, head etc.
                              3. We do the normal penetration thing for a little bit, then take a break. However, while he is still inside, I rub myself in order to get more lubrication and brings me up to "speed". On top of that, its still the physical closeness that we want from love making, but becasue there is no thrusting, there is less pain for me. This can be done in any position.
                              4. Afterwards, I have to rinse becasue the longer it sits, the more irritated I can get.
                              5. Urinate and use an washcloth that has been running under cool water.
                              6. Rest a little and see how I feel. If I don't hurt too much, I can get up and walk around. If not, I stay in bed.
                              We try to make love at night so that if needed, I can take a pain pill and sleep it off. This is not a perfect solution by any means, but it has helped a little.

Comment

Jen, that was really great of you to post! I printed it out.
                                Diagnosed IC: Oct. 2005
                                Other conditions: Fibromyalgia, Migraines,BiPolar Disorder, degenerated disc in back & Scoliosis

MEDS FOR IC ONLY

Oxycontin, 40 mg 3 x's daily
                                Nerontin 1600 mg daily
                                Cysta-Q
                                Prelief

MEDS: COEXISTING CONDITIONS
                                Lithium
                                Depakote
                                Clonopin/Xanax
                                Ambien
                                Phenergan
                                Butorphanol Nosespray