Different?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different?

Are sex problems different maybe for men and woman? I have to read up more on it because my problem with sex is at the end when I climax. Lub for me actually makes it worse.

Well as a woman, I can say that for me personally intimacy is painful during and for quite some time after. It is especially worse with climax, due to pelvic floor dysfunction.
    Mommy to 2 crazy, wonderful kids and wife to the most amazing man in the world!

Comment

I'm guessing that it's different for different organs.... and different people. I know for me, certain lubes and latex make the act horrible, and then for about three days I'm in a mild flare. I'm perfecting my techniques now... uristat before, painkiller after, peeing right before and after, durex avanti condoms (non-latex), and a non-scented non-flavored lube make it a lot better.

As far as I've read, some women have pain upon penetration, pain during orgasm, pain throughout the act, pain lasting afterward and pain appearing later. Types of pain very I'm sure. As far as men go... I HAVE NO IDEA... I'M NOT ONE. Sorry =(

With the lube thing... they sell one on this website that allegedly works well... I think. (I haven't tried it)
      Hope you find more of an answer.
      "It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired, you quit when the gorilla is tired." :woohoo:
      -Robert Strauss

Info:
      20 year old toilet slave
      Professional Bed Wetter
      Zillions of "UTIs" since I was 3 yrs old
      FINALLY diagnosed with I.C. 4/04
      Diagnosed with Grade IV Kidney Reflux 1/07

Current Sitch:
      My InterStim trial has started... and so far IT'S WORKING!!

Meds:
      For physical:
      Lidocaine instillations 3x per day
      Lidocaine urethral suppositories prior to cathing
      Elmiron
      Vicodin
      OxyContin
      Aleve
      Urelle
      Prelief
      Macrobid
      Atarax
      Estrace
      Uroxatral

For Emotional:
      Lamictal

Comment

Hello Phillyman316:

I have spoken to many men with IC, as a patient advocate. Most men suffer from pain during or right after climax because it causes the surrounding muscles, including the bladder, to over-spasm. If you have pelvic floor dysfunction and/or myofascial trigger points the pain may increasingly get worse due to those two other factors.

Many physicians recommend that their patient take 2mg of Valium, one hour prior to intercourse to reduce the possibility of overspasming. Physical therapy has worked very well for many male IC patients.

Since I am not a medical authority, I highly recommend that you discuss any treatment options with your healthcare provider; your healthcare provider will determine the appropriate treatment regimen for you.

The contents in this post are provided for informational purposes only. The contents are not intended in any way to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding your medical condition.

Best wishes, ICB
        Last edited by ICB; 07-06-2006, 02:47 PM. Reason: Advertising site deleted.

Comment

Thanks for that info so is it possible that if my IC gets better that may get better as well? I will mention both those things to my doc and see what he says. Of my 3 symptoms this is that 1 that really upsets me the most and makes me the most depressed.

Comment

If you have Pelvic Floor Dysfunction and/or Myofascial Trigger Points and your IC gets better; your PFD is not likely to go away or get better without physical therapy or a medication (such as Valium). Once you develop PFD your muscles become tight, they forget how to relax - so you must teach them how to relax again via physical therapy. If you choose a muscle relaxant you may have to take that for life, because the muscles will not LEARN to relax by themselves.

I've known many IC patients that have their IC completely under control; however, they still feel severe frequency, burning, pain, pain with intercourse, urgency, etc. All of these symptoms are actually being caused by the PFD. Until the patient addresses the PFD problem, they will not get as well as they can possibly be.

I suggest that you consult with your healthcare provider if you believe that the information above may be helpful; your healthcare provider will determine the appropriate treatment regimen for you.

The contents in this post are provided for informational purposes only. The contents are not intended in any way to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding your medical condition.

Best wishes, ICB
            Last edited by ICB; 07-06-2006, 02:40 PM.

Comment

I know that for me when I was first dx'd, I was so depressed at the thought that the great sex life my fiance and I had was gone forever....But, happy to report that as I have gotten my IC under control, it's fine and back to where it was...chandeliers and all -- Nah, just kidding about the chandeliers, I hate heights....

Seriously though, I was so afraid it would never be like it was before, and I was proven wrong. Don't let it worry you...just one day at a time!!

Hugs,
              Tracey
              How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time...

Harry arrived 2/23/09!

*IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

IC Diet Cheat Sheet:
              http://www.ic-network.com/diet/2009icdietlist.pdf

Dx's:
              IC dx'd Nov 2004
              Lymphocytic Colitis dx'd July 2005
              Possible IBS
              Current IC Meds
              Vistaril 25mg in the evening
              Previous IC Meds taken:
              Cystoprotek - 2 caps 2x's a day
              Elmiron, 100mg 3x's a day
              Ditropan, 5 mg 3x's a day
              Others:
              Wellbutrin 150mg 2x's a day for Anxiety/IBS
              Pepcid 40mg a day for GERD
              Zytrec for Nasal Allergies
              Align Probiotic daily for IBS

Comment

Pelvic floor dysfunction therapy was a real Godsend for me in many ways, including physical intimacy. It made a world of difference for the good. Although it took 9 months of intense therapy, I would do it over again if need be. Indeed PFD does not go away until you get those muscles relaxed again. Also my IC got better after the PFD therapy. A double blessing! Praying that you find a wonderful PFD physical therapist and get the relief that you need. Blessings to all!!!!
                Carolyn

Surviving And Thriving By God's Grace

Comment

I am female but have had quite a few personal chats with males with IC. One found it too painful to even get hard, one had same complaint as you but has found ways to feel better.

I also agree that pfd in men is very painful. In "The Interstitial Cystitis Survivial Guide" by Robert M. Moldwin (available at ICN store) he states that the symptoms that are usuallly the most disconcerting are those relating to pain athat occurs during or shortly after orgasm.

He also says that therapy cn be warm baths, sitz baths, avoiding constipation, avoiding of sitting for long periods, musscle relaxants, aphysical therapy, biofeedback, Yoga and nonsteroidal anti inflammatories.

Faith, Hope, and Love,
                  Katrina

I believe God is using me. He uses me for God. Things I gain from all my suffering are meant to help others. I hope I can help you too. Email me or start a chat if you like my help or anything. I CARE!Illnesses: IC,IBS, IBD, GERD, PFD, Epilepsy, Endo, Allergies, RLM,Rapid heart beat, low blood pressure,Gastritis,Gall stones,Tendonitis,migraines, Shingles, Prolapsed pouch,ext. fatigue (current problem) I have seen periods of remission and I have seen them end and return. At this time remission is over and working on getting it back!

IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
                  or find me on facebook http://www.facebook.com/kat671?ref=profile
                  Be the Miracle! & Pay it Forward!

[email protected] please contact me...I am here to help!

Comment

Thanks for the Info. As I have said of my 3 symptoms this is the 1 that effects my mind the most because I just scared things wont be like they were ever again as I am only 22.

Comment

I have heard of few IC docs only using medications for PFD because they aren't sure physical therapy helps all cases. Is there a legit. medical study showing that medication alone will not work to relax/cure the PFD, thus people taking it for life?

I think each person's case is different. In fact one might be able to use yoga/meditation to relax the pelvic floor muscles if they were already skilled at it.

ads

Originally posted by ICB
                      If you have Pelvic Floor Dysfunction and/or Myofascial Trigger Points and your IC gets better; your PFD is not likely to go away or get better without physical therapy or a medication (such as Valium). Once you develop PFD your muscles become tight, they forget how to relax - so you must teach them how to relax again via physical therapy. If you choose a muscle relaxant you may have to take that for life, because the muscles will not LEARN to relax by themselves...
                      Best wishes, ICB

Comment

Re: Different?

Hi guys... How muh did physical therapy help u??? Did all of your symptoms go away??? Please help

Comment

Working...
                        X