Numbing Gel? Lidocaine (Xylocaine)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Numbing Gel? Lidocaine (Xylocaine)?

Hello Everyone - I have had had mild IC for about 3 years now. I keep it VERY undercontrol My issue now is I think I have Vulvar Vestibulitis I am 27 now (diagnosed at 24), but since I was old enough to use tampons I always felt some pain. Also I have only had one sexual partner and always had pain. I just thought it was me. But now everything I have been reading says this pain is Vulvar Vestibulitis.

I have not been with anyone sexually in 4 years, but think I finally found someone =) Realized I am not really familier with my body since I got diagnoed with IC. I went to my uro who told me to use lots of Astroglide. Then last week, I did some, ummm experimentation. I bought a vibrator that is made for insertion. I have clitoral orgasams no problem (at least when I masturbate) :woohoo: But then I tried to insert it. In once, was a tinge of pain but fine. But I thought, "well intercourse isn't just one time in! its in out, in out". And when I tried it...even super slow...OUCH

So I got really upset because I thought it ment, no intercourse for me =( I have been researching online and read somewhere to get a perscription of 5% Lidocaine (Xylocaine) Topical Ointment. Seems like this would be great to just numb that painful little spot.

Has anyone tried this? Or have a good suggestion?
    Thank you!!!!
    IC
    Symptoms Began 4/03
    Diagnosed 9/03
    Started Elmiron 9/03 - 100mg X3 a day (As of 7/14 taking 2 in the morning and 1 at night, as of 11/14, taking 2 in the morning and 2 at night for 4 total per day. As of 7/17 taking 3 in the morning and 3 at night to knock out last symptoms)

VVS
    Diagnosed 6/07
    Hydroxyzine 25mg/day (Stopped taking when I was trying to get pregnant and have not restarted after birth of baby.)
    Estrace Cream X2 a day (Stopped using before and during my pregnancy. Have not restarted.)

I sometimes use it, and don't find much relief with it.. my question is.. do I only use it on the outside.. or can I insert it a bit in the vaginal opening as well
    Healing thoughts

Bea

Comment

I use numbing gel when I have to do self-cath. I try not to use it for sex. The purpose of this numbing gel is to help the catherter go in smoothly. If I use this for sex, I don't think I can really enjoy sex. If you need to use it, use it just for the entrance area. By the way, what kind of pain are you having??? Is it like a burning pain?? or sharp pain?? If it's a burning pain, it's usually dryness. You can use a lot of lube for that.
      Aya

IC Diagnosed in September, 2005

My conditions are : IC, PFD, Allergies, and Constipation

"It's not easy being grateful all the time. But it's when you feel least thankful that you are most in need of what gratitude can give you."

— Oprah Winfrey

Comment

I have Lidocain/Prilocain 2% prescribed by Ob/Gyn and asked for it to use with a lubricant. However, after seeing all the warning labels on the tube and in the info sheet (for external use only) I never used it for sex. I do use it afterwards when I have Horrible clitoral and vulvar pain as well as when I have this pain due to PFD. There are great posts here for IC sex tips. There should be info through the IC patient handbook link as well. Many of these have worked great for me and helped my relationship with my husband as well. Soem of these may help you. There may be info for VV patients as well, I'm not positive. You could always talk to you Doctor about your "experiment" and ask for suggestions. My pain comes from IC and PFD, not VV, so my info is limited!
        Hopefully some of the other ladies will chime in with suggestions!
        Good luck!
        Rachel
        DX's:
        IC; PFD; possible Fibromyalgia; IBS;

Symptoms: Frequency, Urgency, pelvic and bladder pain, bladder and pelvic spasms, difficulty starting urination, weak stream, incontinence, vaginal and urethral pain

I've Tried:
        three Hydrodistentions, various Rescue Installments; 6 DSMO treatments; Pyridium Plus; Proced; Detrol (patch); Elavil; Uricet K; Elmiron; Nortiptyline; Ultram; Allegra; Ditropan; Ditropan ER; Vesicare; regular Lidocain; Neurontin; Lyrica; and few more I can't remember!
        Currently using:
        Valium; Vicadin; Proced DS; Claritin; Buffered Lidocain; Cymbalta; Baclofen; Prazosin @ night (also on Prednisone and Adderall for my joint pain and severe fatigue)
        Heating pads; frozen water bottles; A&D ointment; Poise pads; IC dieter since 8/06; yoga; imagery & relaxation CD, Mindfullness, self healing CD's; hot baths; seat cushion; prayer
        I am 28 yrs old, dx'ed in '06, still trying to get my health undercontrol!!

Comment

I think it works great for sex. My gyn prescribed for me. The trick is put it on at least a few minutes before penetration so it has a chance to work and get absorbed in. You can put some of it inside as well

Comment

Working...
          X