Today show re: sleep disorders & insomnia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today show re: sleep disorders & insomnia

Has anyone been watching the story line this week regarding sleep disorders on the Today Show? I watched as much as I could. The topic Wednesday was people that would rather have a full night sleep more than sex. It was amazing to hear the different stories from women. I know the main focus was young moms, but I definitely related to the story since I haven't had a good nights sleep in at least 15 years. The doctors they interviewed kept saying that there is an underlying cause of insomnia.

My doctor has allowed me to try so many sleep meds and other meds to help me sleep. No matter what meds I take, my body eventually conquers the meds and I am back to sleepless nights. Even when I am on a med that is working, the most sleep I get is only about 4 to 5 hours.

I understood what they meant about "an underlying cause" to the insomnia. Mine is currently surgically enduced menopause. But prior to the hysterectomy pain was also a reason.
    Wendi
    IC symptoms began in 1975; diagnosed in March 2006.
    Other conditions: PFD, Migraine, VV, Total Abd Hysterectormy on 12/27,06 for Cervical Cancer, Fibromyalgia.
    Current Daily Meds: Roxicet, Methadone, Flexoril, Flomax
    I use Prayer, Yoga, Relaxation Breathing and TENS to help relieve stress, anxiety and pain- LOTS of make up to hide my true identity!

myspace page:www.myspace.com/armslee

Comment

But I think what they were shooting for was worrying over job stress/money etc.
      Wendi
      IC symptoms began in 1975; diagnosed in March 2006.
      Other conditions: PFD, Migraine, VV, Total Abd Hysterectormy on 12/27,06 for Cervical Cancer, Fibromyalgia.
      Current Daily Meds: Roxicet, Methadone, Flexoril, Flomax
      I use Prayer, Yoga, Relaxation Breathing and TENS to help relieve stress, anxiety and pain- LOTS of make up to hide my true identity!

myspace page:www.myspace.com/armslee

Comment

Yes, I got that too, but mine like alot of us is the IC freq/urg. Now I just wake up between 3:30 and 4:00. Didn't fall asleep until midnight at the earliest and would fall back to sleep around 6:00. this is my normal routine. I wake up to go to the bathroom and I force myself to go back to bed, but after 30 minutes, I am so antsy and irritated, that I end up getting up and sitting in the den.

My mom never required much sleep, but she was full of energy. She is still the same to this day. When my insomnia started, I would always do some sort of household chore, etc., and still be able to function well throughout the day. But now, I don't have the energy at all. By the weekend, I sleep most of the day Saturday and no matter what I do, I fall asleep at the drop of a hat with no meds.

Comment

When I wake up in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep; I use a self-hypnosis stress reduction tape. It's a 20 minute tape and works beautifully!!! I wake up long enough to take off the earphones from the MP3 player, roll over and fall asleep immediately. It helps to relax body and mind; it's worth a try.

Best wishes, ICB

Comment

I have tried the tapes and played alphabet games to kind of zone out.. You now like names that start with a, then b, then c, etc. (suggested by my doctor) it works sometimes. I am such a weird one when it comes to sounds. Most sounds get on my nerves especially when I am stressed out about not sleeping. I used to get so stressed out before time to go to bed since I knew it would take me forever to fall asleep. At least that part has become better.

Reading helps sometimes, but if it's a good book, I won't sleep since I want to finish reading it.

I appreciate the suggestion. So far the best thing that I have found to work is infomercials or a golf tournament!

Comment

If I'm lucky, I'll sleep soundly for 2 hours, then I'm up on and off going to the bathroom (you would thing with the medicines -- topamax 200 mg/zanaflex 4 mg that they would let me sleep!) - they do (for 2 hours!! After that, its whatever sleep I can get.) Any suggestions? (I've read, watch TV, crosswords, etc).

Comment

Working...
              X