No announcement yet.

Masturbation creating flares...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ONE of the Best things to avoid sex related UTI's is bottle washig,(whatever kind of sex , b/c any stimulation to the urethra per my urologist, can cause an UTI, not only penetration)...please do. If you want tinof on how to bottle wash correctly, let me know. Keeping the area free (as free as possible) of bad bacteria (coming from anus or hands) sorry but that's how it is.
    Laser cervical surgery after abnormal pap (moderate dysplasia) in 3/2004
    UTIs since mid 2004
    Recurrent yeast infections since mid 2005
    IC dx 3/2006
    V V dx 12/2006
    Other conditions: IBS, allergies, dry eyes.

Current IC medications:
    Elavil (since 12/06) 10 mg;
    Cysta Q (since 5/07)
    Rephresh acid jel every 3 days
    D-mannose, fish oil, Calcium Citrate, Multivitamins & garlic pills (sometimes)
    Probiotics Femdophilus or other brands
    Gy-Na-Tren for yeast infections (started using it as needed since 2010)
    Other Rx:Omeprazole 20mg; benadryl as needed, Restasis

Past Meds and why I stopped them:
    Elmiron: March to September 2006: headaches
    Lyrica:2 weeks in 2006: headaches
    Cystoprotek: from Jan to April 2007: nausea

Femcon Fe (2/07 to 10/07):caused spotting/bleeding
    BCP:Loestrin (since Ocotber 2007) to stop spotting for 2 months. V V worse. Stopped the pill in Nov 07.

"Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it"

Comment

Thanks SMR218, great tip - so what is 'bottle washing'? Any info on this would be great, either here on by private message. It sounds like it could work for me (and I'll try anything, even if it only helps a bit.)
      Kiki

"...I have spread my dreams under your feet;
      Tread softly because you tread on my dreams."

W.B. Yeats, 1865 - 1939

Diagnosed with IC 11/02
      Diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes 2/06

Comment

Deviation,, There's simple bottle washing wich is run water from a bottle sitting in the toilet (water coming from above). So that the water runs evrything down to teh toilet. then you pat dry.
        However the perfect way to bottle wash after BM and before sex is explained step by step in a book by ****** ********* "Urinary TracT Infection, sexual cystitis and IC" Although the part about IC doesn't apply to all b/c she thinks is is bacterial only when I think there are so many differnt causes for it. I think the $10 or so I've paid for the book are worth every penny and a LOT more. The more information you get the better, specailly on how to PREVENT THINGS. I've learned bottle wahing from her and it makes totale sense to me.
        UTIs since mid 2004
        IC dx 3/2006
        V V dx 12/2006

Current IC medications:
        Cysta Q (since 5/07)

BCP:Loestrin (since Ocotber 2007) to stop spotting for 2 months. V V worse. Stopped the pill in Nov 07.

"Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it"

Comment

Thanks SMR218 for your advice and for the book suggestion. It is certainly something I will try as I'm happy to try anything at this stage! Thanks again
          Kiki

W.B. Yeats, 1865 - 1939

Diagnosed with IC 11/02

Comment

Originally posted by jen74 View Post
            I can no longer orgasm, because if I do, I end up with severe bladder pain afterwards and it is not worth it. I get these sharp stabbing pains in my bladder after I orgasm. Lately it is just easier to avoid it all toegther it seems. All that pain is not worth that second of pleasure I guess, and for me it is more pain than pleasure. This disease stinks.
            Jen
            I get the same sort of pain after I orgasm sometimes! Not always, and not when I masturbate usually.. but definitely with sex - and if I orgasm before he does, and we continue to have sex - the pain just gets worse and worse ! Sometimes it's so bad I have to ask him to stop! I agree with you Jen, this disease DOES stink!!
            I am Jenny.
            "Karma is affiliated with the Neopagan law of return or Threefold Law, the idea that the beneficial or harmful effects one has on the world will return to oneself."

Dx:
            -UTI's and Kidney infections: Since 6 months of age
            -HPV: November 2005
            -Advance high-grade pre-cancer cells found in cervix: January 2006
            -LEEP procedure: January 2006
            -IC: January 2007

Medications (Began Treatment 3/27/07):
            -Elmiron 100mg 3 x per day
            -Elavil 25 mg
            -Hydroxyzine HCL 10mg
            -Sanctura 20 mg 2 X per day (added 07/24/07)

Weekly Instillations @ Doctor (Starting 07/31/07 instillations will be performed by self at home - Wish me luck!)
            -20cc Lidocaine 2% Plain
            -2cc Sodium Bicarbonate 8.4%
            -1cc Heparin (10,000 units/cc)

Comment

I'm registered on the other site, just haven't got over there yet. But I did want to address the comment about the uterus and all.

I've had a hysterectomy and I still have the same problmes that you all are having. So I don't think it's related.
              http://www.TheCraftyEwe.etsy.com

Comment

The idea that masturbation irritates the urethra makes a lot of sense to me. Penetrative sex rarely stimulates the urethra however a lot of the pleasure of masturbation and oral sex is urethral play. I don't really understand why oral sex does not trigger the pain as much as masturbation but i have the same effect.
                You arn't alone in this but i have no answers!
                hugs

Comment

Have had this for a looong time

Hi everyone,

I am so glad to have found this forum that I want to cry! I seem to get symptoms of a UTI after I've masturbated a few times in a week. It has to do with frequency with me for some reason and before my period my hormones also go nuts and I want sex, plus even if I don't, just the hormonal changes bring on the UTI symptoms.

I have noticed a pattern lately that if I masturbate frequently, I will start having those feelings of having to urinate and needing to run to the bathroom every 5 minutes. There's no problem starting the urination, in fact it feels like it will just come out on its own (though so far has not without my "permission" ha ha). I am so afraid of making myself incontinent! My bladder just feels weird, not pain but not normal. It's like I'm aware of it.

I had instances in the past where my bladder would just hurt soo much and I'd have all these weird sensations and need to pee every few minutes etc.

I get this so often it's ridiculous and I have not been formally dx'd with IC but I'm talking a lifetime of this sorta stuff so I really think it is there.

When I was having pain and all, I saw a urologist who did the scope thing (wow that was uncomfortable) and he didn't see anything wrong with me. (!!!)

I was like, so why do I have to pee constantly?

And when my period's coming it always gets worse for a few days then tapers off once I get my period. I asked my gyno about it but he's kinda useless.

Anyway, I have NEVER seen anyone talk about masturbation and bladder issues as being connected before. I am a serious believer that they are. They must be! Maybe the orgasm is irritating the muscles of the bladder or irritating the urethra or something. But I feel like an idiot going to a doctor and saying , "Hi, my masturbation is causing bladder issues!" What are they gonna do for me?

I was on Detrol LA as the doc told me I have a small bladder capacity but it didn't help anything.

And you know what else is maddening? I seem to always get "aroused" when I have that feeling ofneeding to urinate. So it's a vicious cycle. And I've had that problem for like 20 years or something. I wish I could stop that feeling of needing to urinate!

Right now I am just scared that I will become incontinent or something. I had a HOT shower today to help my sinuses and I had to pee so bad when I was in there, every ten mins or so. Was it the hot water? I'm still having it and I didn't feel this bad earlier today though the IC symptoms started up the other day. And I masturbated today and the day before yesterday. ARGH!!!

Thank you for being here, ladies. I thought i was going nuts!

Comment

Mena,

What you are describing is very common with people with IC.. Its like you always have this aroused kind of feeling after reaching an orgasm..For me it never goes away I feel aroused and like I have to pee all the time. My doctor said it was nerve damage and presribed me Cymbalta and Elavil..I think I would have went crazy if the meds had not worked..
                    I have been doing alot of reserch on this and have come to the conclusion for me is that I damaged the nerve from masterbation with a vibrator..The doctor said that this could very well be possible..
                    Well I hope you get some relief soon..
                    Also I would like to invite you to our other web site..It was created by the some wonderful person who created the ICN..

http://www.whensexhurts.com/forum/
                    Hugs
                    Ronda

ONE Second, ONE Bite, ONE Breath, ONE Pill, ONE Minute, ONE Teardrop, ONE Hour, ONE Sip.. ONE DAY! I will Prevail from this disease! IC Hoping for a Cure!

Link to Patient Handbook:
                    http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Diet Reference Sheet:
                    http://www.ic-network.com/diet/icndi...tsheet0909.pdf

Meds For IC: Lyrica-25mg Glucosamine-500 MSM-500mg, Prosed Ds -When Flaring

Other Meds: Levlite- Continious Birtcontrol, Micardis-40mg for High Blood Pressure

Meds I have Tried:
                    Topamax,Tofranil, Elmiron, Atarax, Cymbalta, Elavil, Enablex, Detral La, Prydium.
                    Lexapro< Bad reaction to this med!
                    Intstills, could not continue them due to some kind of reaction after 3rd instill. Tasted the lidocaine in my mouth, tongue and lips went numb then went into what seemed like a panic attack. Shaking, racing heart, tingling face/head, blood pressure shot up..

Dx With IC in Nov 2006 with Hydro/Cysto
                    Hydro/Cysto Caused Bladder to Rupture.

Other Dxs-Vulvodynia,Fibro, Endo, IBS, HPV, Migraines, Spastic Colon, Mild Dysplasia.

ICN Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

Hi there.
                      I also get more pain with orgasm. My hubby and I have not even had sex for months, close to a year probably. We try to be intimate in other ways ( cuddling, hugging, playing , etc.) But I do notice that after I orgasm, at first things feel numb down there for the first five minutes afterwards, then comes the pain. So yes, I really do believe that it can make the bladder worse since everything is connected down there, I mean all the nerves.
                      Jen

Comment

I thought having an orgasm was good b/c it relaxed thre pelvic floor muscles...and that is good for IC....Am I wrong?
                        UTIs since mid 2004
                        IC dx 3/2006
                        V V dx 12/2006

Current IC medications:
                        Cysta Q (since 5/07)

Comment

Deviation!! Thank you *SO MUCH* for posting this! Like Mena, I was *SO* excited about seeing this post too!

Masturbation is my biggest IC trigger and now I can understand why and hopefully do some of the preventative/post work to prevent getting irritated or even getting a UTI or just a flare from this.

My partner will be very happy to hear about this, since this is our main way of being intimate (because of our orientation). She and I always tried to find alternate ways, like someone mentioned, hugging, cuddling, touching, kissing, etc. But now that we can go back to this, she'll be really happy. And so will I.

Thank you *SO MUCH* again!!!!!

Comment

Hi IrritatedbyIC (and hi everyone else! :-) )

I'm really glad my post, and the subsequent replies, have been helpful. I posted it one night when I was in tears after yet another flare from masturbation.... and I have a female partner so manual stimulation is my main way of being intimate too! So its doubly frustrating..... I think the flares I get from this are the worst I get - worse than when I'm naughty and drink wine, eat things I shouldn't or the like. At times it just seems so unfair - but some of the tips here have been helping. The pain is still there, but not as bad - and less pain is better than no change at all.

Hope everyone is well :-)
                            Kiki

W.B. Yeats, 1865 - 1939

Diagnosed with IC 11/02

Comment

Hi Deviation,

Thanks for replying. Nice to meet you, Kirsten! Your post and the replies have most definitely helped. Nice to know that there's others out there that masturbation is their main source of intimacy. Yeah, I would say that it's the worst of all flare triggers too. It does seem *very* unfair. Yeah, the tips help cut down on the pain or prevent them, if you're lucky.

Feel free to private message me if you want to talk further, since we have so much in common.

Comment

Hi ladies,
                                I went to the WSH forum and was so happy to see all of the topics. Thanks so much for the suggestion! Except when I tried to post it told me I wasn't allowed, even though I signed up and went to the activation link in an e-mail they sent me. Hmm....
                                Allison, 25, living with IC since 2002. Add me on Facebook! (search Allison Jacobs)

Conditions: (known)
                                IC, Chronic Pelvic Pain, Neuropathy, Adenomyosis (hysterectomy to "cure" this), Vulvadynia

Medications:
                                Elmiron--200 mg twice daily
                                Cymbalta--90 mg once daily
                                Various pain meds, rotating

Treatments:
                                Spinal Nerve Stimulator implanted 5/10, mostly unsuccessful
                                Hysterectomy 9/09
                                D&C and hysteroscopy 8/08, somewhat helpful
                                Mirena IUD began 12/07, unsuccessful
                                Lupron Depot 6/07-8/07, unsuccessful
                                Hydrodistention 2004, 2007
                                Physical therapy 2003-2006

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday."
                                John Wayne

Comment

Working...
                                X