Urethral burning after sex???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urethral burning after sex???

Hi everyone... does anyone else get really bad urethral burning after sex? I have a little pain during sex, more like "tender" places on the front of my vagina where my bladder would be... and from what I can tell, most ICers have that. My husband and I are getting pretty good at making sure his penis doesn't hit the tender spots hard during lovemaking, so while they are uncomfortable sometimes, I can deal with it.

But also, lately, I will get up to pee after sex (I was told to do so to try and wash UTI-causing bacteria back out of the urethra) and as soon as the urine starts coming down through my bladder neck and urethra, it starts burning like crazy. Then it KEEPS burning for hours after, even when I am not urinating! I usually take a Pyridium or Urised and that helps. Sometimes I also take a pain med because my whole crotch will start throbbing. After a while everything settles down, but it's a miserable time until it does!

I just wanted to know if anyone else gets this, and what you do about it. For example, would it help to take a Pyridium/Urised BEFORE sex?

Thanks for any suggestions you might have...

Jen

PS... It seems like the burning happens more often and is more intense since I've started DMSO instillations. Aren't those supposed to help rather than make things worse?
    Jen

*Diagnosed with severe IC in 2004
    *Also diagnosed with PFD, fibromyalgia, chronic myofascial pain, IBS, migraines, allergies/asthma, dermatographism
    *Kept trying a million different treatments for all these things until I found what works, and I am doing okay these days with the help of a cocktail of medications and the InterStim, which was first placed in 2007. [I have had 2 revisions - one in 2010 when my battery died and had to be replaced, and one complete replacement (lead and generator) in 2012 after a fall on my stairs caused my lead to move.]
    *Current meds include Atarax (50mg at night), Lyrica (150mg twice a day), Xanax (0.5mg at night and as needed), Zanaflex (4mg at night), hydrocodone (10/325, every 6 hours as needed), Advair, Nasonex, Singulair (10mg at night), oral contraceptives, home instills containing Elmiron and Marcaine (as often as I need to do them).

**I am not a medical authority nor do I offer definitive medical advice. I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Yes most diffently I try to wait as long as humanly possible (with having IC) to p after sex, because it feels very hot and dose burn.. After sex hubby always gets a warm cloth to lay there so I don't get the throbbing pain as bad.... I too take a pain pill and a urised.
    hugs
    Brat
    'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

Comment

Thanks Brat... it is nice to know I am not the only one who gets that burning! I will need to try the warm cloth for the throbbing next time.

Jen
      Jen

*Also diagnosed with PFD, fibromyalgia, chronic myofascial pain, IBS, migraines, allergies/asthma, dermatographism
      *Kept trying a million different treatments for all these things until I found what works, and I am doing okay these days with the help of a cocktail of medications and the InterStim, which was first placed in 2007. [I have had 2 revisions - one in 2010 when my battery died and had to be replaced, and one complete replacement (lead and generator) in 2012 after a fall on my stairs caused my lead to move.]
      *Current meds include Atarax (50mg at night), Lyrica (150mg twice a day), Xanax (0.5mg at night and as needed), Zanaflex (4mg at night), hydrocodone (10/325, every 6 hours as needed), Advair, Nasonex, Singulair (10mg at night), oral contraceptives, home instills containing Elmiron and Marcaine (as often as I need to do them).

**I am not a medical authority nor do I offer definitive medical advice. I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

YES The burning was bad. I have a hand held shower so I would squat in the tub and just hold the shower pointing toward vagina. The warm water helped alot until I had to pee.
        It has been along time since my husband and I have attempted anything. Thank God I have an understanding man. We have been through so much in our 30 years of marriage and he is still with me. Don't know that I could say the same if the roles were reversed.
        I am having a major flare up now, and feel so quilty because here we go again. It hurts to even think about sex. I HATE IC and everything that goes along with it.
        If you take a valium and pain pill before, maybe you won't care! Hang in there. Try ice afterward, it helps with the burning.
        Denise
        It takes a little darkness for us to see the stars, and a whole lifetime to reach them.
        Don't give up. I cannot take away your pain, but I can listen.
        email me at [email protected]

Comment

I have no more problems with sex, Only thing I was afraid of is that it would make me urinate more often, Anyway I giving it a try last night and I had no problems at all.
          Angela aka sleepyangel30

Comment

Hi everybody... thanks for all of your replies... it really helps to know I'm not the only one with that horrid burning after sex!!!

Jen
            Last edited by Sarojini; 06-20-2007, 07:34 AM.
            Jen

Comment

Suggestions

I have two suggestions

1. Although we don't want to have to take more Pyridium than is necessary, sometimes we've just gotta! So take one before you have sex with a bunch of water so that by the time you pee afterwards, the drug is already in your system and it won't hurt to pee. The best way would be to take it enough in advance so that you've already peed before sex and gotten it into your urethra. I also found that a light dose of muscle relaxant helped too.

2. Lube, Lube, and Lube some more!

The more friction, the more rubbing on the urethra, which creates the abraision, and thus the burning when the acidic urine passes over it. It's like lemon juice on a cut. I highly recommend "Liquid Silk". It is glycerine-free and water-based, EXTREMELY slippery, and stays so during, how do I put this, rather vigorous sex. It also is Biostatic, which means it prevents bracteria from duplicating, and it's vegan with no animal testing. It also doesn't have a smell. I've found that it doesn't sting at all as did some other lubes I've tried and doesn't get sticky during sex (which then causes friction and counteracts the point of using lubricant). I also find that I don't have to use that much for it to be very effective.

Hope this helps!
              Pikkumyy - special ed teacher, wife, wild animal rehabber, and PFD patient since the horrible kidney infection of 2000. In remission since 9/04

Comment

I can't answer about DMSO but yes I have felt intense burning at my urethra after sex.....ice and water helped and it didn't last too long for me (Thank the Lord) but it does happen often.

Good luck on finding success to treat it for you.
                Faith, Hope, and Love,
                Katrina

I believe God is using me. He uses me for God. Things I gain from all my suffering are meant to help others. I hope I can help you too. Email me or start a chat if you like my help or anything. I CARE!Illnesses: IC,IBS, IBD, GERD, PFD, Epilepsy, Endo, Allergies, RLM,Rapid heart beat, low blood pressure,Gastritis,Gall stones,Tendonitis,migraines, Shingles, Prolapsed pouch,ext. fatigue (current problem) I have seen periods of remission and I have seen them end and return. At this time remission is over and working on getting it back!

IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
                or find me on facebook http://www.facebook.com/kat671?ref=profile
                Be the Miracle! & Pay it Forward!

[email protected] please contact me...I am here to help!

Comment

Hi everyone, thanks for all of your suggestions. I tried placing an ice pack on my vulva for a few minutes after sex last night and that seemed to help. In addition I took a Pyridium. I had some burning, but not as intense as before, and it only lasted for about 10-15 minutes this time. Also, I've ordered some Liquid Silk lubricant as was suggested... hopefully that will help out too! Again, thanks for posting all of your suggestions...

Jen
                  Jen

Comment

Hi all,
                    I too have pain during and after sex... I agree a muscle relaxer before sex is good.. I take them any way daily....
                    the best lube I have found that dose not cause itching, burning, or dose not have a chance to cause infection is astro-glide.. suggested by my uro and gyn..
                    Brat
                    'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

Comment

I had that but discovered in my case it wasn't sex, it was an extreme hypersensitivity I developed to any sort of "goop." I can't stand even one tiny drop of anything that might come in contact with urethra, like K-Y, astroglide, estrogen products, etc. It only took 30 secs. before the burning would start and last up to 48 hours. Then I read on vulvodynia newsletter to use Crisco and put it on him, not me, and aim him a little more posterior than anterior to keep the crisco on him away from urethra. Bingo, immediate resolution. I now special order estrogen in a preservative free base and that's working too. I don't know if that will help anyone but for what it's worth.
                      Dianne

My bellydance "sisters" , our dogs, and me.

Comment

painful sex

I am glad I am not the only one going through this. I had explained to my mother once how bad it hurt and burned and she said I CANT IMAGINE and I said thats cuz you dont have this ilness, and you should thank GOD for that.

One Dr. I went to said to me I dont understand why it would burn or hurt? and this was a MD is that scarry or what. I said well let me stick -------- and see if it burns and hurts you?

I am going to use some of the suggestions on the boards.

Thanks,
                        Ruth
                        Blessings,
                        Ruth

Comment

I had a pelvic floor therapist suggest canola oil as a lubricant to me. I haven't had any burning with it. I had an old saline nasal spray bottle that I cleaned out and use to dispense it.

Comment

That burning sensation after sex is not so fun. I agree that lubrication is key. It certainly reduces the burning. I've also tried an ice pack after I pee (after sex) to cool things off.

Sex was such a touchy subject for me. I never felt like I was in the mood since I either felt pain or was worried that the sex was going to cause more pain. I let out a small sigh of relief when I was dx with IC and realized that there was a reason for why I'd be in pain after sex. I have such an understanding husband. He agrees with me and thinks that it's important for us to have physical intimacy as part of a healthy relationship but reminds me that intercourse isn't the only way for us to do that.

Amaris

Comment

Amaris,

It is VERY nice to have an understanding husband. I agree that physical intimacy is vital in some way or another but it doesn't have to be intercourse. We are lucky in being able to have "regular" sex much more often than many people on these boards. However, we do a lot of non-intercourse "hanky panky". It's funny - I certainly want my bladder problems to go away and wouldn't wish them on anyone - but we do a lot more experimenting with sex and talking about it, etc. than I ever did with anyone else. We've had to do so much trying out of positions, etc. that I'm sure we've discovered things we like that we would never have discovered otherwise. So I guess there can be a silver lining in any cloud or rather, bladder!
                              Pikkumyy - special ed teacher, wife, wild animal rehabber, and PFD patient since the horrible kidney infection of 2000. In remission since 9/04

Comment

Working...
                              X