Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Psychologist said that I got IC because of sexual abuse 18 years ago

Hi,

I just had the last appointment with the psychologist, and she has the strong opinion that my pelvic floor tension and IC are due to a "moderate" sex abuse that I've received when I was a child.

I went there talking about the anxiety and my depression which have great influence on my symptoms, but I wouldn't go that far. I though I had solved that issue many years ago!! But she has described to me my sexual and relational behavior so far and she is right! Basically I get a big sex drive in the beginning of a relationship to "get" the man, but as soon as I feel confortable and sure in the relationship, I give up sex completely. My inner child is still terrified, apparently.

My illness is most likely to be "emotionally" driven, in her opinion, and she had many other patients with similar chronic pelvic pain going through the same path.

She said that working on this issue would help my symptoms (toghether with the physical therapy) and my sex drive, and she referred me to a psychosexual consultant.

This is a little bit shocking, but might open some hope; maybe going on the bottom of all these issues will help me emotionally and physically.

April

April, it sounds like you are on the path to self discovery! no matter if the IC was caused by the abuse or not, it is an issue that you must deal with. And I'm sure that as your stress level is reduced, so too will your IC symptoms. I wish you the best. Be Strong,
    DeWayne

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement! Waaa I though I had solved all that already, but apparently I didn't. uff.

Wishing you a good day

Comment

April -

I am glad that you are getting help for the issues related to your sexual abuse - from personal experience - I was shocked to read how alike we are in handling relationships - I haven't ever truly "dealt" with my issues and so they do pop in and out of my life so to speak.

However, I'm concerned that a psychologist is lumping IC in with other chronic pelvic pain issues (which some have been contributed to sexual abuse). So I would continue with any IC treatments you are under as well.

Meanwhile - I am so glad that you are going to battle your demons so to speak - Good Luck!

DX IC Aug 2007 -DX PFD July 2007
        Severe Allergies since 18 months old
        Meds:Aterax 25 mg @ night (only during allergy season - now)
        Valium 2.5 to 5 mg 2x per day for PFD
        Elavil 50 mg @ night
        Bladder Instillations (at home) 3x per week -
        My recipe is: Lidocaine, Heparin and Sodium Bicarb

Comment

Working...
        X