Can I use a diaphragm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I use a diaphragm?

Just wondering if a diaphragm is a big no-no for IC folks. Seems like I remember my doc mentioning that it could press on my bladder or something.

What's the best choice? I find condoms uncomfortable - as does my partner. We are monogamous and are not concerned with passing diseases. But I am still mentruating at 46 - don't really want an "oops" baby lol

I wish I could find some contraceptive sponges - tho I read they arent' as effective for ladies that have had a baby.

a diapram increases the risk of uti's, so i ruled it out pretty quickly. it also has to be used with a spermicide and there's no way i'm putting that down there i use the nuvaring and i LOVE, LOVE it!!
    Current: -pelvic floor therapy, -weekly uracyst instills

Comment

I don't get utis - only had one once ever in my life.

I'm 46, perimenopausal - on the vivelle dot and vagifem. This is all working for me somewhat except I'm still having a lot of vestibulitis symptoms and referred pelvic pain.

Comment

Originally posted by yarnia View Post
        Just wondering if a diaphragm is a big no-no for IC folks. Seems like I remember my doc mentioning that it could press on my bladder or something.

What's the best choice? I find condoms uncomfortable - as does my partner. We are monogamous and are not concerned with passing diseases. But I am still mentruating at 46 - don't really want an "oops" baby lol

I wish I could find some contraceptive sponges - tho I read they arent' as effective for ladies that have had a baby.
        I used it in my late 20's when it was in my bladder was terrible. I felt a lot of pressure. I would so no for comfort reasons. Vn

Comment

yarnia

I am 47 and wondering if I am perimenopausal so we stopped the birth control pill to see. What symptoms do you have with peri menopause? Vn

Comment

I've had widely varied periods - for months they would be very normal - but then for a few months would skip or have heavy bleeding. Had some hot flashes - which abated naturally.

But my main symptoms were the development of Ic and the vestibulitis - the thinking being that the lack of estrogen causes vaginal atrophy with lots of referred pelvic pain. Tho my vestibulitis began after giving birth (3rd degree tear)

My hormone levels are consistent with menopause, even tho I was still having periods.

I do plan to pursue pelvic floor therapy.

I wonder if a mirena iud would work - would it substitute for the progesterone I take days 5 a month?

Comment

I used a diaphragm years ago and it caused problems. Getting rid of that thing was one of the best IC friendly decisions I've ever made!

Vicki
              "The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have."

Comment

Originally posted by yarnia View Post

Have you tried lambskin condoms? They are MUCH more comfortable than the usual latex. They are not proven to prevent the spread of STDs, but since you are in a monogamous relationship that should not be an issue. THey are as effective as latex condoms to prevent pregnancy. Walgreens usually always carries them, Walmart occasionally. I am highly sensitive to latex down there so this is what I use.

Have you discussed the cervical cap (I think that is what it is called, hopefully someone will correct me if I am wrong) with your gyn? I think it functions similar to a diaphragm but is much much smaller and can be worn for a longer period of time. If spermicide is not an irritant for you maybe this could be an option. If you are not familiar with this try googling cervical cap and see if there is any info out there on it or ask your dr about it. You would have to get it from a gyn...I think they have to custom fit it for you.

Hope you find somthing that works for you.

Oh, I just re read one of your posts above and saw that you have vestibulitis issues. So if you have not used spermacide in the past, then I would caution you on using it because it can be extremely irritating for those of us who have VV. I have VV...so absolutely no way can I use spermacide in any form, and I cannot imagine putting either a cervical cap or diaphragm inside me, and along with the spermicide that is required with both: OUCH! And anything latex down there is very bad for me.and that along with spermacide will send me into weeks long VV flares. That is why I have to use the lambskin condoms, but they are a completely different experience than latex condoms...much more comfortable for both me and him.
                Last edited by Briza; 12-27-2008, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X