Prophylactic antibiotic after sex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prophylactic antibiotic after sex

the last five years i have had the tendency to get UTI after sex.
    sometimes it feels just like irritation and burning in that area..
    but other times it is a full blown infection and i can tell by the symptoms and the dipstick urine test too.
    i have had a cysto three years ago..and just showed mild inflammation of the urethra..and the bladder was fine.
    then a few months ago i had a catheterization and it was ok too. no IC.
    urologist , said that i should take one antibiotic after sex.
    initially she gave me macrobid...but ive never used it and i have alot of food / chemical allergies and sensitivities..
    ([probably not unusual for us here with sensitive bladders!!)
    so then she gave me bactrim and i had a slight allergic reaction to that ..so that was out.
    i used one cipro after sex and it worked good .
    i had the burning in my crotch area..lol...put the ice pack there..
    that symptom as well as the uti symptoms always take about a day after sex to show up...
    so im just wondering if many others here take the antibiotics as i am..
    this is new to me..
    and i hope it continues to work.
    Its pretty depressing to have sex and then get an infection after it!!
    hopefully this will keep me on course..
    feedback appreciated.
    thanks!
    kmmk

I used to get several UTIs a year. I began taking one antibiotic after sex about 4 years ago, I think, and haven't had a UTI since!
    Kim

Diagnosed August 2001

Current IC meds: Elmiron (since 2001), Levaquin (one pill after intercourse to prevent UTIs), Effexor (for depression & anxiety)

Past IC meds: Amitriptyline (Elavil), Hydroxyzine (Vistaril), Detrol LA, Lexapro (for depression & anxiety, but also helped my IC) (They all helped, but I was able to discontinue them.)

I've been virtually symptom free and able to eat & drink whatever I'd like for about 8 years now.

“We who lived in concentration camps can remember the men who walked through the huts comforting others, giving away their last piece of bread. They may have been few in number, but they offer sufficient proof that everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms -- to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way.” ~ Viktor Frankl

“You cannot control what happens to you, but you can control your attitude toward what happens to you, and in that, you will be mastering change rather than allowing it to master you.” ~ Brian Tracy

Comment

thanks Kim..
      that is encouraging.
      i always had a tendency to Utis..from all the way back....and getting one after sex was not an everytime thing..
      but then i hit my 50's and everything changed..i guess as my chemistry and hormones have changed.
      the Uro told me that as we have less estrogen...the tissue of the vagina gets thinner and thus irritates the urethra much easier too.
      Also, i cant take any estrogen replacement in any form as i have lost one sister to breast cancer and have another who had it 8 years ago as well..
      so estrogen is not an option for me.
      anyway..the uro said if i stay on the antibiotic
      regimen...the overall irrtation of the urethra should eventually diminish and hopefully resolve itself.
      as for the utis...im not so sure.
      well at least there is something to do for this..
      i dont know any women personally who suffer with this..so this board helps me feel less isolated..and like a freak with this problem!
      thank you!

Comment

I know what you mean. I only know one other person " in real life" who has IC - my dentist's receptionist. LOL I don't know what I would have done had I not found this board. It's been my biggest source of information and support.
        Kim

Diagnosed August 2001

Current IC meds: Elmiron (since 2001), Levaquin (one pill after intercourse to prevent UTIs), Effexor (for depression & anxiety)

Past IC meds: Amitriptyline (Elavil), Hydroxyzine (Vistaril), Detrol LA, Lexapro (for depression & anxiety, but also helped my IC) (They all helped, but I was able to discontinue them.)

I've been virtually symptom free and able to eat & drink whatever I'd like for about 8 years now.

“We who lived in concentration camps can remember the men who walked through the huts comforting others, giving away their last piece of bread. They may have been few in number, but they offer sufficient proof that everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms -- to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way.” ~ Viktor Frankl

“You cannot control what happens to you, but you can control your attitude toward what happens to you, and in that, you will be mastering change rather than allowing it to master you.” ~ Brian Tracy

Comment

Working...
        X