Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flare after Sex

Hi,

Just wondering if I can get some advice. I have a whole sex routine going however I still find I flare after sex. I had sex a week and half ago and have been in a flare since. I got tested today so I know it is not a UTI. Here is what I do please let me know if anyone has any tips for me.
    I empty my bladder before and after.
    I take naproxen the day of and the next day to keep down the inflammation.
    I take Desert Harvest Aloe
    I take 1 macrobid to ward off a UTI after sex.
    I use coconut oil as a lubricant and also help ward off UTI's

In spite of doing all of the above I still flare. Help what else can I do? I don't want to avoid sex out of fear of a flare I want to be able to enjoy that part of my life even if it is few and far between(I hate IC).
    Daughter your faith has made you well,go in peace, and be healed of your disease.(Mark 5:34)

Tried:
    Detrol:only took one pill and it made me sick
    Elmiron:caused horrible pain(took 1 week)
    CystaQ:caused alot of burning and pain(only took one pill)
    Wellbutrin:only on it for three days as it caused alot of bladder pain
    Elavil:Took one pill and it caused a flare that lasted almost two weeks. It was the longest flare I've ever had. Never again..ouch
    Prelief:made my bladder burn and feel tingly.

Take:
    Uracyst:Started May 19 2011
    Enablex:take one pill daily with no issues
    Naproxen:for pain as needed
    Baking Soda with water:as needed and it's a God send. It brings down my pain within 20 mins.
    Venofer: Started April 2012 by IV for low Iron. I do not tolerate oral Iron so this is the route I had to take.Does not bother my bladder but did have other side effects. I take Benedryl with each treatment to avoid side effects.
    Supplements:Whey Protein powder daily
    Dessert Harvest Aloe It has been helping alot but I can only take it every two days as my "die off" reaction has been severe.

Re: Flare after Sex

And so you should enjoy that part of your life. Don't let this condition take it away from you. We all need the intimacy and love we feel when we are that close to our partners.
    I think we all have a "routine" we follow post sex.
    I can add a couple of things ontop of yours.
    1) D mannose post coital
    2) yes AB post coital ( which I've finally stopped doing most times) YAY
    3) was before and after sex, I shower before and peri bottle wash after.
    4)Yes empty bladder prior normally and after with vigor.
    5) ice pack to bring down swelling and redness, and sometimes some cortisone cream.
    6) yes lubricant if needed.
    7) And I find this one the most important- find the positions that keep off your bladder and least stress on urethra. I find on all fours (doggy) the best as my bladder falls forward and hangs away from the action. But you may find a different way better. I don't know about you but me on top for long periods of time gives me the biggest grief.
    Also I think if it's a relatively shorter duration the better. And yes time in between I try keep to a minimum of two days, I try for three.
    I actually think sex improves my pelvic floor tightness and I feel better, so I look at it as a win win for everyone. Think of it as medicine. hahaha
    UTI 3/2015
    IC ,PFD
    prescribed meds: Endep 60mg, Elmiron 400mg, BC. Enablex 7.5mg.

Supplements: Chitomur peptide, colostrum, Echinacea, liver detox swisse, calcium citrate, glucosamine, Psyllium Husk.

Daily diet: Breakkie- oats with chia seeds and no fat milk. Post workout-turkey breast with mixed veggies. Lunch-raw green soup with rye roll and handful of peanuts/almonds. Dinner- changes but meat and veg. Dessert-banana and sugar free custard (homemade) or banana and apple bake with almonds cinnamon and honey with a dollop of coconut cream.

Tried: tramadol, cystoprotek, multi right, diazepam, vesicare, Ditropan, mirabegron, Flomax, lyrica, progesterone.

Comment

thank you for your reply. I meant to add in my message that D Mannose flares me. It's inflammation/irritation after sex that is more of a concern than UTI's. I wish, every few days I cannot even do once a week. It takes about that much time for my inside to settle down. I don't want to be taking pills all the time but I also don't want to deal with the flares. I can handle one or two days of irritation but two weeks. It makes me want to avoid sex.
      Daughter your faith has made you well,go in peace, and be healed of your disease.(Mark 5:34)

Tried:
      Elavil:Took one pill and it caused a flare that lasted almost two weeks. It was the longest flare I've ever had. Never again..ouch

Take:
      Baking Soda with water:as needed and it's a God send. It brings down my pain within 20 mins.
      Venofer: Started April 2012 by IV for low Iron. I do not tolerate oral Iron so this is the route I had to take.Does not bother my bladder but did have other side effects. I take Benedryl with each treatment to avoid side effects.
      Dessert Harvest Aloe It has been helping alot but I can only take it every two days as my "die off" reaction has been severe.

Comment

Have you tried an ice pack after sex?

Donna
        Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
        Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
        Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
        [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Donna do you mean internally?

Originally posted by ICNDonna View Post
          Have you tried an ice pack after sex?

Donna

Tried:

Take:

Comment

naproxen is a big bladder flare...maybe try avoiding that?

Comment

Originally posted by Anastasias View Post
              naproxen is a big bladder flare...maybe try avoiding that?
              I take naproxen regularly it's the only thing that doesn't flare me

Tried:

Take:

Comment

Originally posted by carole View Post
                Donna do you mean internally?
                I have even heard of someone who kept a can of soda in her fridge so she could wrap it in a washcloth and use it to cool down the area. I don't think I could put anything icy cold inside, but you could give it a try by putting some ice in a plastic bag and just use it on the surface.

Donna
                Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
                Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
                Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
                [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Originally posted by carole View Post
                  I take naproxen regularly it's the only thing that doesn't flare me
                  that is great...i miss it! for a while didn't flare me, now terrible :-(

Comment

sorry to hear that I hope you found something that works. It's the only pain med I've taken for my IC. It works so I don't need to venture out..lol

Tried:

Take:

Comment

Working...
                    X