Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Julie's Great Adventure (ie: Visiting Yvette)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Julie's Great Adventure (ie: Visiting Yvette)

PROMISE me that if you START reading this you all will READ TO THE END!!!!!

Yvette, it has taken me long enough to finally write this, but as you know, once I got home I had more than a week's worth of Mommy Work to catch up on!

Where to start? For the last three years now I have run away from home for a week or so to visit my darling Yvette. Yes, the Yvette from ICN. wink

The first year I was also tagging along with my mom for a few days on HER vacation with HER friend. I arrived in New England on Sept 10th, 2001. Yepper! And I was stranded, or so to speak. Mom and her friend went their merry way. I had no plane to get me home. Yvette and I spent a lot of time on the phone saying, what do you want to do, well what do YOU want to do. The truth is, no one felt like doing much of anything. I actually only saw her one day of the three I was supposed to see her because I ended up driving home to Michigan in my rental car once they opened up the Canadian borders for real.

We had a wonderful dinner that night.............and it was heart wrenching to leave her once I had met her face to face.......but a "bad" habit was formed that year (giggling as I write this) and I realize I was bound to continue my running away for many years to come.

Last year, I went there about the same time. We had more time to spend together. We did dinner, shopped for her new house, I saw her new furniture, and HOLY SMOKES.......she DROVE me around..............heck, I am glad my kids are nearly grown..........cause if the driving on the highways out there wasn't going to kill me at the very least I would have a heart attack wink

I joke, but we had a ton of fun. We figured green eyes were good luck, we had the best waiters and the best parking places and the best of the best. We even had a front row seat at one restaurant when this "poor misguided" woman strolled thru the bar in a see thru shirt. Oh yeah. Sorry but that alone was food for the IC soul and we laughed and giggled and people probably thought we were rude morons about it but we had a blast.

Again......when I had to leave it was pure agony.

Ok, you guys still with me???????? PLEASE say you are cause the "best" is yet to come!

So a nearly a year goes by. We both find ways to call for cheap, she calls for free and we talk almost every night either on the phone or online. During that time we have moaned and groaned and commented mercilessly on various reality shows........poor bachelor this......omg did you see them actually swallow that. (We sit at our respective computers, watch TV and do this, actually it is quite hilarious and my daughters chime in now and then too!)

So this year, we are going to spend as much time as we can together right????

WELLLLLLlllllllllllllllllll.........I left home from Michigan at 6 am Friday August 22.

I missed my flight.........my fault, won't spoil the tale with the details.......but I missed it.

I get from my local airport finally to Detroit.......and guess what........my plane to New England is leaving the gate......I am sick......just SICK...........here Yvette had taken the whole day off to be with me and I wasn't going to get there til late.

I call her..........crying..........apologizing.....she is wonderful to me.........it is fine it is fine.....just relax, we will have fun when you get here.

So I spend 5 hours in Detroit airport munching and walking off my anxiety. OH yeah, did I tell you I didn't check any bags and there isn't any such thing as lockers anymore in airports so I got a GOOD workout hiking my rollerbag and computer around!

I finally finish my novel, do relaxation exercises so I don't flare and I am doing ok.

Flight to New England was wonderful..I actually saw the whole coast line of Lakes Erie and Ontario...like looking at one of those relief maps kids make in fourth grade. Very cool

OH heck, I have to stop digressing because yes, there is more to the story.

I get to Manchester New Hampshire (little airports are more IC friendly) get my cute little red car and drive away.

20 min into the drive I finally hit full speed on the freeway and the car begins the SHUDDER.........thinking flat tire I slow down and the shuddering stops. So I take it back up to speed......shuddering all over the road.

I call Alamo, they say bring it back......(I keep losing my cell connection too) and I look at the northbound lanes of I-93 on a Friday afternoon at 4pm and I tell the lady no way. NO possible way to turn around I am too close to my motel.

I get cut off before I can give her any information. (**********insert cuss words****)

I FINALLY get ahold of Yvette and give her the Alamo number and ask her to MAKE them get me a new car. Disconnected again.

Well, I drive to where I am staying, about a half hour from Yvette's, and when I enter town there is a message on my phone mail. Some poor young man says, Ms Beyer, we will get you a new car. And will you please call your friend Yvette and tell her too.

(Honey what did you SAY to them??? THANK you!!! LOL)

OK........they say 2 hours til I get a new car. I unload my crap, and decide to go to the grocery to get water and yogurt and stuff before they get there.

Now.......is this now bad enough so far????

Well, as I was checking out at the grocery store I noticed that it was pure black outside at 530pm. Black. Then crashing thunder......sheets of rain........sheets.........

I am thinking........I can't possibly wait until this is over, they are coming to swap my CAR! ACKKKKKKKKKkkkkkkkkkk So, I make a run for it.

Soaked to the bone. Like walking under a waterfall. shove my groceries in the car......get in, figuring better these seats than my new car.......and leave the parking lot.

My first indication that this was going to get worse before it got better was no traffic lights. I could NOT believe my eyes.......it was like a NIGHTMARE...........no power anywhere........ (ok God, if you are listening, that joke is way over played with power out with the ice storm for 5 days last spring, the NYC, OHIO, Michigan power outage a week before..grrrrrrrrrrr)

Big sighs.........I drive to my dark hotel.......figure......oh well everyone is in the same boat...........and I walk into the lobby and there is a whole slew of people standing there.

No electric to make the room keys work.

Ok, so here I am..........SOAKED to the bone......hair stringy........like a very very bad wet t-shirt contest.......and I just laugh....laugh hysterically....I call Yvette and laugh and then my phone cuts out. NO battery. I keep laughing...........

Well somehow they got enough power to open the doors and I did get changed and brushed out my hair. A bit later they brought me a cute little white car and I swapped keys.

The power came on shortly after that and I was able to actually clean up and shoot down to Yvettes and we went to dinner......

On the ocean, boats in the marina

a BEAUTIFUL night even after the rain

Had a WONDERFUL lobster dinner with a salad and key lime pie........

And I slept wonderful that night.....knowing I had 6 more days with her...........and.......well that is enough for now..............but we did have a wonderful time. Maybe tomorrow I will tell you the rest of the week!

My advice..........go visit your favorite buddy from here if you can. Whatever it takes. You won't regret it no matter how bad Murphy's Law happens to treat you!

HUGGGGGGSssssssssssss to you Yvette.......I love you.....and all of you.
    Julie Beyer, MA, RDN
    IC Dietitian, Patient Advocate, Speaker, & Author

Did you know that up to 94% of interstitial cystitis patients find some symptom relief when they change their diet, and that dietary modification is recommended as a first line treatment for IC? Check out the IC Food List to get started!

Do you need a little more help understanding the IC Diet? Schedule a phone or video coaching session through the ICN Store today.

You can also learn more while supporting the ICN message boards by clicking on these book covers and buying the Confident Choices books from the ICN Store:

........ ........

Other IC Diet Resources:

IC Diet Webinar
    IC Diet Website
    For Health Professionals: Continuing Education About Interstitial Cystitis and Diet
    Free IC Diet Booklet: What Can I Eat?
    Confident Choices IC Diet Blog
    IC Diet Newsletter

*Let's Connect!*

What a great story, Julie!!! I am sorry that fate was against you that day, but at least you got there! How is she doing? She posted something in the prayer section that sounded sad and confusing, and I had been wondering about her since!
    Mommy to 2 crazy, wonderful kids and wife to the most amazing man in the world!

Comment

Yvette is doing well......we had a wonderful time. I was on a different vacation when that post was made, but I did talk to her during that time.

I think we all lose hope at times. We see life changing around us and wonder when we will be able to catch up, if ever. We see other people doing things in their lives that we can't, or people who used to be our best friends just don't "get us" anymore.

I read a few of the posts in the prayer board after seeing your reply Jess...........seems like a lot of people have times when we just need prayers........and we can't really put into words why. The love, the spiritual power from this place is amazing...........and can work to heal all of our hearts, if not our bodies.

We really did have a wonderful time. We spent most of it just talking talking and more talking. I did flare the next day after all the Murphy's Law stuff. But we explored Salem and she, of course, didn't flinch when I needed a bathroom every fifteen minutes. toilet

She has two of the most beautiful cats I have ever seen.....we had a dinner at her parent's house that shamed me into doing better for my own family.....(her dad cooks most of it!)

While we were at the nail salon getting pedicures and our nails done, we dissed and moaned about that stupid "gotta go, gotta go" commercial with the lady juror.......the other nail clients chiming in "yeah I hate that commercial,too"... if they only knew!

Despite some of the icky things going on in both our lives........we laughed and laughed and sometimes cried, but we laughed more than we cried.

Oh, and we ate. <puffing out cheeks>

Back on my bike tomorrow! ;-)
      Julie Beyer, MA, RDN
      IC Dietitian, Patient Advocate, Speaker, & Author

Did you know that up to 94% of interstitial cystitis patients find some symptom relief when they change their diet, and that dietary modification is recommended as a first line treatment for IC? Check out the IC Food List to get started!

Do you need a little more help understanding the IC Diet? Schedule a phone or video coaching session through the ICN Store today.

You can also learn more while supporting the ICN message boards by clicking on these book covers and buying the Confident Choices books from the ICN Store:

........ ........

Other IC Diet Resources:

IC Diet Webinar
      IC Diet Website
      For Health Professionals: Continuing Education About Interstitial Cystitis and Diet
      Free IC Diet Booklet: What Can I Eat?
      Confident Choices IC Diet Blog
      IC Diet Newsletter

*Let's Connect!*

Comment

Well despite all the obstacles, I am glad that you had a great time! Yeah, we all need prayers for different things. My friends say they hate that gotta go commercial because the jingle is annoying. *Sigh* I hate it for that reason, and the whole fact that it makes people ask me, "oh is that what you have? So if you take that Detrol LA you'll be cured?" banghead You're right, if only they knew!!!!
        Mommy to 2 crazy, wonderful kids and wife to the most amazing man in the world!

Comment

Sounds like a great trip, overall. lmao Makes me want to go visit my best friend online who I haven't met yet in real life... She's way out in Oregon. One day we will - we talk by phone, e-mail a million times a day and have swapped videos of our kids.
          Kim

Diagnosed August 2001

Current IC meds: Elmiron (since 2001), Levaquin (one pill after intercourse to prevent UTIs), Effexor (for depression & anxiety)

Past IC meds: Amitriptyline (Elavil), Hydroxyzine (Vistaril), Detrol LA, Lexapro (for depression & anxiety, but also helped my IC) (They all helped, but I was able to discontinue them.)

I've been virtually symptom free and able to eat & drink whatever I'd like for about 8 years now.

“We who lived in concentration camps can remember the men who walked through the huts comforting others, giving away their last piece of bread. They may have been few in number, but they offer sufficient proof that everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms -- to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way.” ~ Viktor Frankl

“You cannot control what happens to you, but you can control your attitude toward what happens to you, and in that, you will be mastering change rather than allowing it to master you.” ~ Brian Tracy

Comment

I agree, sounds like a great time. It is trips like this you will never forget!

Jolene
            Jolene

"Life is what happens when you are making other plans" John Lennon

IC diet cheat sheet....http://www.ic-network.com/diet/dietcheatsheet.html

Information for Patients can be found here.
            http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Jen's tips for great IC sex..http://www.ic-network.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22522&highlight=jens+tips[/url]

Newbie Angel...I will be happy to answer any questions or just listen. Email me at [email protected]

"IC Angel Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you."

Comment

I'm glad after everything you went threw ya'll had a lovely time.
              I loved the way you wrote that story please let us know what happens the rest of the week.
              Medicine taken daily or as needed:
              1. Heaprin and Marcaine rescue installment 1 to 3x daily as needed.
              2. MS.Cotin 100mg 3x daily
              3. MSIR 30mg 1 or 2 every 4-6hrs as needed for breakthrew pain.
              4. Fentanyl 100 mg Change every 48hrs.
              5. Gentamicin 80mg install after each rescue treatment
              5 Leviquin 500mg self start as needed.
              6. Klonopin 1 or 2 daily as needed.
              7. Prosed/DS as 1 every 6hrs as needed.

I have IC, but IC doesn't have me anymore!

Comment

Hey that sounds like one great trip, even with all the things that happened to you, I had a lot of fun reading about your adventures, you are so lucky to have a friend like Yvette, it can really make a difference, I know I have a friend in San Antonio like that and we have gone through quite a lot together, but had a lot of laughs as well along the way. Glad you had a great time, all the best Iris hi
                Today and every day you are loved, so don't be anxious about tomorrow, God will take care of you tomorrow; Live one day at a time.

Comment

Working...
                X