No announcement yet.

Need IC friendly vacation ideas...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Smokey Mtns have lots of cabins to rent and you can do a lot of exploring during the day time. You can stay in a busy area close to Gatlinburg, TN or smaller town like Cherokee, NC on the other side of the mountains. There are so many day trips you can take around the area. I love the Smokey mtns, I grew up camping in the N GA mountains, Tennessee, North Carolina. All of the mountains in those areas are great, nice weather and beautiful.
    Link to the patient information, everything from What is IC? to Disability
    http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

American Urological Association Clinical Guideline
    Diagnosis and Treatment of Intersitial Cysitis/Painful Bladder Syndrom
    http://www.auanet.org/content/guidel...ent_ic-bps.pdf

Comment

travel

Originally posted by LithEruiel View Post
      Oh, interesting. I wasn't worried about the cooking/food thing (I rarely cook at home and don't have many restrictions), but it I bet it still would be cool to get a little place in some areas.
      It really is nice to have the kitchen and livingroom. You feel more at home, and even if you just want to have a few things in the frig for breakfasts or snacks, you can.

Comment

We often rent Condo's firstly for the kitchen's so you have a choice where you eat and can make food more IC friendly, but also washing machines and dryers.

We have used VRBO previously mentioned by someone else. They have set rentalprices but if you go at off season times you can negoiate this. Last year my husband sent out about 15 emails for condos where we wanted to go and said we were looking for x amount of days and were willing to pay x amount of money. Some replies were prices are set, some tried to counter off, others just jumped at the chance to accept our price rather than have their place empty. Prices are often set for when things are good but less people are traveling with this economy, so it can't hurt to offer less.

MG
        My are with you all. May you all find a way to peace and joy in your lives.

Comment

travel ideas

Originally posted by Mothergoose View Post
          We often rent Condo's firstly for the kitchen's so you have a choice where you eat and can make food more IC friendly, but also washing machines and dryers.

We have used VRBO previously mentioned by someone else. They have set rentalprices but if you go at off season times you can negoiate this. Last year my husband sent out about 15 emails for condos where we wanted to go and said we were looking for x amount of days and were willing to pay x amount of money. Some replies were prices are set, some tried to counter off, others just jumped at the chance to accept our price rather than have their place empty. Prices are often set for when things are good but less people are traveling with this economy, so it can't hurt to offer less.

MG
          MG,
          VRBO sounds like such a good idea. Have you ever had any problems with the places you've stayed at, or do they seem to be consistantly nice?

Comment

No for the most part we have had no problems, the site has pics and good discriptions, I avoid ones without pics I wonder what they are tring to hide.

A few times people have embellished exactly what they have, they give a discription, the stuff is there but not quite what you expected. For example one lady went on and on about her place being nicer than the adverage rental, flat screen tv in every room, well it did have the tv's, but I have no idea where they ever found such small tv's, I have never seen them for sale anywhere.

Little things like that. In my opinion her place was nice but not better than the adverage, but everyone feels what they have is the best. But lets face it most people will not put any expensive stuff in a rental place.

One place we stayed was really nice, and in a really nice complex but when we got there there was notes every where, if you breakthe garbertor you pay for the repair call out, don't set the ac below 75 degrees if you do you may over work the ac and if it breaks down you pay for the repairs and so on, we just ignored the notes enjoyed our stay, but the next time we went back there we made sure we did not rent from the same people.

Sometimes you can find a place on VRBO and then look up on google if people have rated it, I can't remeber right now but I think VRBO has a rateing and comment part to it.

but we use it lots, even sometime just to figure out what the going rate in the area is for rentals.

MG

Comment

Travel ideas

MG,
              Thanks for all the info.
              That's funny about the house with the notes! We stayed in a place like that in Nags Head, NC.(rented through a rental agency). For the first day or so I was afraid to touch anything, but as you did, after that we just ignored the notes and enjoyed the stay and being gluttons for punishement, we rented the same house the following year. It was just such a great location and pretty home, notes not withstanding!
              Well, dog and husband,(note how I group those two together), have just gone down for a nap. Seems like a good idea, so I think I'll have to join them.
              Laurie

Comment

airplane

I was wondering if anyone took a long flight with IC. I live in Alaska and haven't been home in 2 years because I'm too afraid to fly. I'm not worried about using the bathroom, just sitting for 7 hours straight. Any tips?

Suzanne

Comment

We have flown to Hawaii several times. I also went to Washington, DC from Oregon. It didn't bother my IC, but I was very tired at the end of the flights.

Donna
                  Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
                  Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
                  Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
                  [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

I haven't flown since 2006 before I had IC, so that worries me too. The sitting and vibrations and stuff I don't think will bother me, but I'll worry that I'll have to go during a time when I can't and that will make things really bad...like all those people that got stuck on the tarmac for hours. I think I'm going to get something to just sleep pretty much the whole time in case that happens.
                    ~Ashley

Comment

Have you thought about renting a camper or winnebago and just going where the wind blows you? You could see all the places others have mentioned. Of course with gas prices being what they are, it may not be feasible, but with a winnie you have a bathroom at all times. You can tow your car and go where you want. Architecturally, there are zillions of places, love victorian myself, so get your drift. New England is quite awesome, lots of places to "park it" for the night. Go to Triple AAA and get some booklets. Cruises may be nice for some, but for us it is a little claustrophobic.

If you have the time and the $$, a trip on the northern route in the summer, make the loop and come back on the southern route end summer. You get a little taste of everything. Hope you find something that will scratch your itch, know what it's like to have that travel bug, itches like crazy doesn't it? Jill, wife of Bob

Comment

We used the Slow Travel site quite a bit for our trip to France in 2005. There's a chatty forum there to get ideas and to link up with other travelers/inn owners etc.

If you travel to other countries know that Turkish toilets do exist and at unexpected places -- like even nice restaurants. Those things are a nightmare in the best of times but if you have IC -- oh, man. NOT GOOD.
                        Mom to two littles (remissions while pregnant/breastfeeding)
                        Sufferer since mid-90s
                        Finally dx'd properly much later

Comment

We don't go to too many places now, due to the fact that if my husband takes off he has to go without pay. My sister and her family use to have a beach house that we all used for a few weeks during the summer, but that was before Ike blew it away.
                          In a few weeks I am taking off a week or so beginning April 1 due to my husband having surgery, plan on having a good book or two, doing some cooking, and throwing away stuff that was meant to be thrown out too many years ago but never had the time.

Comment

I always thought it'd be cool to do the winnebago thing, but I could never drive one and I only have a week off of school!
                            ~Ashley

Comment

I have done long flight, a sucker for punishment.

For me it is an 8 hour drive just to get to an airport.

For flights I buy my own water once through security, I have muscel relaxers with me in case I need it I don't like to wait till plane is up in the air to get a drink, and then you are also at the mercy of the ater they sell on the plane.

I pack IC friendly foods to eat on the plane, and something to read.

If a really long flight I will have a sleep aid with me in case I need help sleeping, I also take a small blanket and kneck wrap, eye covers, ear plugs, and headphone with me.

I take travel Johns with me I have never had to use them but you never know and with the blanket I can stay covered up. I think it also helps mentally just to know you can go if desperate. If I have to wait I go into panic mode and then can't go when I get the chance. I have been told to sit down at times and not to use the bathroom due to tuberulance or something, I have just said it is not optional for me, the stewarts tell me to sit down I have just said it is not optional and they have sais we have to advise you by law but can't make you do it just that you know there is a risk for you beening out of your seat.

I ussally ask for a aisle seat so I don't have to bother everyone else in the row when I get up every 20 mins to pee. I often will take 1 AZO and find this helps with the urgency. Getting up to pee also offers me the chance to streach and change the pressure points.

I take stick on heating pads as heat helps me a lot. I wear loose pants, and layer my tops, I find you just never know what temp a plane is going to be, I basicly do what ever I can think of to keep myself as comfortable as I can

Sounds like at lot I know but I manage to get it all into a backpack which I keep at my feet on the floor under the seat in front of me.

I try to stay well hydrated during flight and eat light.

I will be taking a flight this week, I read on here somewhere where someone suggested buying the ring pillow advertise on TV, as seen on TV product, it can be wrapped around your kneck as a neck support, but you can also sit on it to keep pressure off of your privates. I bought mine at Walmart. After I get home I will let you know how it works for me.

But to tell the truth even with all of my preperation, I find the flight ussaly is not too bad, but the next day my bladder is not happy for a few days, not really bad just unhappy.

the days leading up to flight, day of flight and for a few days after I am really careful about what I eat, I don't want to add insult to injury.

MG

Comment

We're planning a vacation!!!

I feel as though I'm ready!!!
                                Last edited by KatieB; 03-15-2011, 03:51 AM. Reason: Wrg place
                                Katie-46 yr old female dx'd with IC after 15 years of symptoms off and on long term antibiotic use, GERD,IBS and now IC diet, gallbladder removed, endometrial ablation w/tubes tied
                                Lexapro-20 mg
                                Aciphex
                                Ambien-as needed
                                Percocet-7.5 up to 3 per day as needed
                                Valium-10 mg x2 per day
                                Phenergan-1 at night
                                Prelief w/everything
                                Now recovering from acute pancreatitis

Currents treatments that help somewhat:
                                Heating pad
                                Hot baths
                                Ice
                                Being VERY still while lying down with legs elevated

Comment

Working...
                                X