1st vacation after being diagnosed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st vacation after being diagnosed...

I'm traveling on my first trip since being diagnosed with IC in February 2011. It's a little overwhelming. I feel like I have to plan every moment of every day it almost doesn't seem worth even going on the trip. But, I love to travel and don't want to give it up because of IC. Does anyone have any tips on air travel, sticking to the IC diet and just being in an unfamiliar area with IC?
    Diagnosed IC 2/2011

Current treatments/medications:
    Physical Therapy for Pelvic Floor Dysfunction
    IC diet
    Claritin
    Flonase
    Elmiron (200 mg twice daily)
    Uribel
    Valium 5 mg
    Zoloft 25 mg
    Tylenol 500 mg (as need for pain)

I love being a mom to an awesome active toddler

4/09 9/09

this has been discussed a lot here and there are lots of suggestion, justsearch old posts you will find lots. yes it does take more planning but worth it.

mg
    My are with you all. May you all find a way to peace and joy in your lives.

Comment

Try to get an aisle seat on the flight, so you won't bother everyone when you get up to pee. And use a big chain pharmacy for your medications. It makes it much easier if you need an emergency prescription filled while traveling.
      Last edited by vanilla; 04-30-2011, 06:35 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I will definitely get an aisle seat close to the restroom and take a look and previous posts on traveling.
        Diagnosed IC 2/2011

IC diet
        Claritin
        Flonase
        Uribel
        Valium 5 mg
        Zoloft 25 mg

4/09 9/09

Comment

If you haven't done it already I suggest you order some IC bathroom cards for this site store, at least you have them to show if you have too.

Last time I was flying we went into the, line for people with disabilities to get through security, there was very a long reg line up, estimated to be an hour wait I have to pee every 20-30 mins, oand once in the line up they don't want you to leave and how would you find your family again, the security guard started to ask why I had gotten into this line and I started to explain that I could not stand in the line up that long and at least in this line up if I needed to use the washroom I could get back out and back in, he was still balking until I brought out my IC restroom card, that was good enough for him.

MG
          My are with you all. May you all find a way to peace and joy in your lives.

Comment

I totally agree that the restroom access card can be a real life saver.

Donna
            Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
            Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
            Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
            [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

I just bought some of the restroom cards last month along with some cushions for sitting in the car. It sounds like the cards will come in handy. I think I'm most worried about the taxi ride once I get to San Diego from the airport to my hotel. It's supposed to be a 30+ minute ride. I have a feeling I'll probably be uncomfortable and possibly in a flare by that time and I sometimes have to go every 10-15 minutes when it's really bad. I'm not sure how I'm going to make a 30 minute car ride over freeway with a not so sensitive driver hitting bumps in the road. I've also not flown since being diagnosed and I'm not sure how I will handle the plane flight. The one trip we took in December last year was a nightmare. We drove 14 hours in the car. We ended up having to break the trip up into 2 days and I had to stop every 20 minutes to use the restroom the whole way. I was in pain the whole week we were at the beach and constantly felt like I had to go. I'm just trying to learn from my mistakes and hopefully have a better trip this time. No bottled water for me. I will definitely bring my Brita Pitcher and these new Brita sport bottles I bought. They seem like they would be great for travel.
              Diagnosed IC 2/2011

IC diet
              Claritin
              Flonase
              Uribel
              Valium 5 mg
              Zoloft 25 mg

4/09 9/09

Comment

Sometimes you have to hoard your pain medicine, so you can live like a human again, briefly. Of course, I'm not advocating this.

Comment

The first time I traveled when my IC was well under control was also frightening. But I found the anticipation was the worst thing about it. I did just fine.

What I did: I stuck to bottled spring water with no additives, stayed as strict as possible on the diet, took my prescriptions along, took rescue meds with me(pyridium, ativan), took the stick-on heating pads ordered from here, had pelvic floor physical therapy before I left & when I returned, rested when I could, booked my seat on the plane in the back near the bathroom, & wore a Poise pad in case. I also took Poise pads along in case I needed them. The pad just gave me added confidence in case I couldn't get to the restroom in time. Hope you have a great time!

Comment

Working...
                  X