X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• _Laura_W_
    replied
    Re: Sexual Arousal Causing Urinary Frequency

This has been a struggle for me as well. I've found that it requires A LOT of communication prior to intercourse. I think it's absolutely fair to tell someone to stop prior to completion. You can always help them reach orgasm in other ways, or not at all if you're not well. Also, intercourse for 10 minutes is actually quite a bit of time, at least for me that seems like quite a while. Maybe you could try a lot more foreplay so the intercourse part of it isn't as long?

Leave a comment:

• Danzaxx
    replied

I don't get pain or burning days after I just can't have sex for long before I have to stop to go to the toilet. This happens every 10 mins or so no matter what. Some positions can help but I just wana know if anyone has this too. Is it fair to have someone go through this? And how do people go about it?

Leave a comment:

• Antonia11
    replied

This didn't happen until I was injured, then I started having trouble....this is the first time for me ever. Prior to injury last year (at age 39) I never went a day without being basically like a 20 year old guy sexually. I feel like I lost most of myself, because I always felt that most of myself was, well, my ability and bottomless pit of need for sex. It was bad in the early days of IC, but I was young and didn't stop due to it. I was actually difficult when I first met my husband....thankfully it leveled out.

I dropped out of multiple IC support groups when I was younger for this reason; people talking about losing the ability to have sex without pain, it scared me half to death. I re-injured myself after childbirth, for heaven's sakes. 6 weeks of no sex? No, I don't think so. Now, well, more than that. And before injury I told my husband that if anything ever happened to me where I couldn't have sex, I fully expected and gave permission for him to find (at least for sex) someone else. Boy, that feels weird having said that now.

I tore my abdominals even worse trying to still be able to have sex without my abs working. Then the spasms hit. I felt like I lost the best part of myself in this injury, and I was already a bit wonky due to the IC. Pain? Pain I can shut off. Spasms, not so much. Or at all. Until I went back on this one med, I couldn't even watch television. Anything that could turn me on (in my case, breathing, driving a car, walking, sitting, ) was a sentence to immeasurable pain. I'm not even me anymore. My relationship used to involve my husband hiding from me so I'd leave him alone, now we just sit there trying to ignore each other. Because we know we can't even try to go there.

I'm so sorry everyone else here is suffering this aspect. I got so depressed (before DX of injuries, chance of recovery) I asked my doc for a DNR. I can't imagine how everyone else feels. I wanted to join an ED group for men....there just seemed nowhere to discuss this.

Leave a comment:

• Pernille
    replied

Just found this thread, yes, I also do recognize this, getting sexually aroused and then the pain and tingling starts and doesn't stop or existing pain gets worse. And I am single and it is no fun to look for a guy out there who would want a woman that is sexually handicapped (not always, but sometimes and for most men too often). So I decided to be single, concentrate on work and friends. If someone comes along I take it from there and maybe I will eventually find something that helps me to control this disease better. Then I would consider actively dating. Right now? No way.

Leave a comment:

• my2boys99
    replied

It isn't really fair that we have to abstain from intimacy, is it? Ic can really be hard on a persons love life. Ive been married for almost 21 years, but we haven't had sex for three months! My main problem is with having an orgasm. The contractions make my bladder hurt for a few days. Unfortunately, I have them often in my sleep and I cant control that. If it happens, I generally take a half of a flexeril (muscle relaxer) to help relax things.

I know it must be hard to be single with ic. My heart goes out to you.

Leave a comment:

• ICNDonna
    replied

Originally posted by Alc View Post
    ... and maybe I should just go ahead and try all of the suggested pharmaceuticals, despite their scary side effects, since IC is affecting the possibility of ever being in a relationship. I just really don't want to take things that might make my hair fall out... or have other consequences... And I don't trust big pharma

so then I go back to just choosing a single life... which I already kind of leaned towards, even before my condition got worse. It's easier to just not even try... rrr... I think I need a therapist. I am going in circles.
    I'm assuming it's Elmiron you are hesitating to take because of your fear of losing hair? One thing I suggest to anyone just starting on Elmiron is to do a hairbrush test before starting --- then if you feel like you're losing hair, do another test. The good thing is that if you DO lose hair, when you stop the medication, the hair loss almost always stops and it fills back in again. To do the test, take a hair free brush and brush your hair thoroughly. Then comb the hair out of the brush and store it in a plastic sandwich bag. That way you have a comparison if you feel you're losing more hair than usual --- you can do the test again and compare the amount of hair with what's stored in the sandwich bag.

Only a very small percentage of people taking it do lose hair and some people report vast improvement in symptoms so you might want to reconsider.

Sending encouraging hugs,
    Donna

Leave a comment:

• Alc
    replied

... and maybe I should just go ahead and try all of the suggested pharmaceuticals, despite their scary side effects, since IC is affecting the possibility of ever being in a relationship. I just really don't want to take things that might make my hair fall out... or have other consequences... And I don't trust big pharma

so then I go back to just choosing a single life... which I already kind of leaned towards, even before my condition got worse. It's easier to just not even try... rrr... I think I need a therapist. I am going in circles.

Leave a comment:

• Alc
    replied

My mindset, as of late, is that I would rather be alone and not have my condition be exacerbated by sex. A short period of pleasure is not worth the weeks of suffering! And I don't want to put myself in a position where I feel like I need to satisfy someone's sexual needs... or have it hanging over my head that I am depriving a partner of something that IS a part of a relationship. I'm sorry... maybe there are some people out there that can get away with a sexless relationship... but I just can't even imagine a guy that would be okay with that... not in my world. I already have a hard enough time finding somebody that I could imagine spending the rest of my life with... and then narrow that pool even more to the number of guys who would be okay with no sex... or even activities causing arousal... Yes, I don't have a very positive outlook on this situation... Don't get me wrong, I am generally a happy person... outside of IC issues. I am not depressed.

I am an independent soul, so I have always been fairly happy doing my own thing. But part of me tells me that is a cop out... But a relationship just seems like an invitation for torture.

Leave a comment:

• Alc
    replied

I'm glad to know I'm not alone! It seems like so many other ic people don't have the same issues

Leave a comment:

• amyloulou
    replied

Hi yes I completely understand what you are saying sex is the worse thing about ic my hubby is very understanding but I miss it so much

Leave a comment:

• Vegas12
    replied

Yes, I have the exact same problem. I can't think about sex or dream about sex. It's horrible, but there is nothing I can do to control my dreams. I make a conscious effort every day to not even look at any good looking, young, attractive men for more than a moment. I don't watch sexy movies, and I certainly don't talk about sex with my husband.

Leave a comment:

• Alc
    replied

I haven't tried those things. I just recently added my treatments in my signature below. But I don't really have a resolution of symptoms. I think these things might be helping some. I did notice a difference taking cystoprotek... But by no means a cure. I've been taking cystoprotek since June. I don't really have pain... Just a strong and sometimes urgent/frequent need to pee. Thanks for your response.

Leave a comment:

• r.amos
    replied

I have very similar problem but mines last longer than a week or so it's more constant and I have had it for a few years. I use lidocaine prilocaine cream that gives a slight since of relief but not enough to swear by it. The feeling is intense and uncomfortable and seems to increase if I need to urinate. What have you used to help the sensation my doc said there was nothing that could help it's a nerve issue that is a symptom of IC. I was told to try topamax to see if it could help with the nerve.

Leave a comment:

• Alc
    started a topic Sexual Arousal Causing Urinary Frequency

Sexual Arousal Causing Urinary Frequency

My main trigger for urinary frequency/ic symptoms is becoming aroused. I do not need to have sex or have an orgasm for this to happen. Even thinking about sex or having a dream about sex will bring it on. It never fails. I usually begin having problems 1-5 days later. It is not an immediate reaction. But the result is always prominent. (No pain, just frequency) And then I have issues for 2+ weeks afterwards.

I haven't really found much information about sex being a primary trigger for ic.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

....or maybe it isn't IC. I know it is not a urinary tract infection.
Working...
X