Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For post-meno women: Does oral estrogen help with frequency?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NancyB
    replied
    Vaginal Estrogen

Dear Systitis -

Are you going to put it on your abdomen instead of vaginally? If you don't have problems with the vaginal route of administration, that is the route you should use. How much are you using now? Most doctors will tell you to use what you need to get a good response, usually 1-2 mg/gm 2-3 times/week. If you want to increase what you use now, you might want to run it by your gyno or the nurse.

NancyB
    Last edited by NancyB; 06-21-2009, 11:26 AM.

Leave a comment:

• SandyRN
    replied
    I had a Total abd. hysterctomy and had my ovaries out last Sept. Since then I have been using Vivelle dot patches at the highest dose. My frequency has gotten a lot better. I don't know if it's from the hysterectomy or the patches...but I'll take it either way!

Leave a comment:

• Systitis
    replied
    Thank you! Very interesting. I would like to avoid oral estrogen if possible...will try applying the cream over my bladder & see what happens...

Thanks again. I appreciate your input.

Leave a comment:

• NancyB
    replied
    Estrace Cream Dosage

Dear Systitis -

How much vaginal estrogen are you using? You might need more. The estrogen should hopefully help your frequency. However, you might try some oral estradiol if it doesn't.

Yes, I rub the estriol cream into my abdomen in the area below my belly button. That will definitely get into the whole bladder area.

Hope this is helpful.

NancyB

Leave a comment:

• Systitis
    replied
    Hi Nancy...Thanks very much for the input. I've been using Estrace cream vaginally (with excellent results) for about a month. Problem is I still have frequency & wonder if freq comes from the bladder -- it sort of feels as if it does. I wonder if oral estrogen would help with the bladder. It seems as if the cream (at least so far) doesn't quite get to the bladder...

I note that you apply the cream to your abdomen. Over the bladder area?

Hope this is clear.

Leave a comment:

• NancyB
    replied
    Estrogen as an IC Treatment

Dear Systitis -

I would talk to your doctor about using it vaginally. It may take care of your frequency. You are right about the estrogen receptors.

I use both oral estrogen, 1 mg twice per day, and 1 mg/gm topical estriol compounded estrogen cream on my abdomen every other day. (I wasn't able to tolerate the estrogen creams vaginally.) I have no IC symptoms because of this.

Hope this is helpful.

NancyB
    Last edited by NancyB; 06-21-2009, 04:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• For post-meno women: Does oral estrogen help with frequency?

Estrace cream (applied topically) has done wonders for my vaginal discomfort but I'm still struggling with frequency. I understand that the top third of the vagina & the lower third of the bladder are estrogen-dependent and wonder if oral estrogen would help with frequency. I feel as if the frequency is triggered in the bladder...perhaps it needs an estrogen boost?

Does anyone use both estrogen cream AND oral estrogen? What results have you experienced?
Working...
X