I'm 22 and lonely :-(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm 22 and lonely :-(

[/IMG]My name is Tricia and I'm 22 and live in Michigan. I was diagnosed with IC in September, even though I have had symptoms for about 10 years. It has been a terrible journey for me because people just don't understand what I'm going through. I dont hang out with friends too much (except for the sweet ones) or date because I got tired of being made fun of and having to deal with the embarrasment of frequently having to use the bathroom and explaining why. I really like going out and having fun, but with people that understand and dont judge me. My wish is to find a guy who understands what I'm going through and accepts me for who I am

Current Meds:
    Elmiron 200mg 2x/day
    Ditropan 10mg 2x/day
    Last edited by Tricia H; 12-28-2007, 09:53 AM.
    Current Meds:
    Elmiron 200mg 2x/day
    Ditropan 10mg 2x/day

"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." Albert Camus

Hey Tricia!

I'm 22 as well, and I DO know what your going through! I started having IC when I was 16. If you have any questions, concerns or just want to chat send me a pm!
    Hugs!

Erika
    IC diagnosed officially via cysto/urodynamics 1/26/07

Grade II Endometriosis diagnosed via lap 12/11/07

"Fall down seven times, Stand up eight."

"Life is a tragedy for those who feel and a comedy for those who think."

Current Treatments:
    Interstim Since 5/25/07!
    Birth Control

Comment

Tricia...

I am so sorry that you are having to deal with IC. It can be so overwhelming. People can be so cruel sometimes. Especially when they don't understand or even want to understand. From your post, it sounds like you do have friends. Cherish them and don't give the others a second thought. They don't deserve you. You are special in your own right. (((Hugs)))
      Sharon

Shopping??? Did someone mention shopping? I'll get my hat... ;-)

Where I can be found most days.

Link to the ICN Patient Handbook:
      http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Link to the IC Diet:
      http://www.ic-network.com/diet/

IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

Tricia-

I know exactly what you mean. I am 27 and was just diagnosed this year, however I have been dealing with all of my IC symptoms since I was probably 19. I know what it is like being young and wanting to have fun, but at the same time not wanting people to question why you do the things you do all the time. Dating is no fun because of how self conscious I get... the thing is guys "see" nothing wrong with me, so my behaviors (going to the bathroom so much, not always feeling up to going out etc) just seem weird to them. Plus with friends sometimes it is almost lose-lose. If I go out, sometimes I just dont feel good and suffer thru a long night that should otherwise be fun... or even if I feel good I still have to use the bathroom way more than anyone else. On the other hand, if I stay home often my friends start to wonder why i am isolating myself, or if I just dont want to hangout with them. I find it impossible to explain to everyone that I have IC, and honestly I really dont want the whole world to know. So, I can't say my friends are bad for wondering why i do the things I do, cause most of them truly have no idea. That's just it though- it just feels like no one has any idea!!! Now that I know what it is I have, I am hoping that I can learn what I need to do to get myself in remission so I can start leading a more symptom free life!!!
        Diagnosed formally with IC in July 2007 (although I have had the symptoms for 6-7 yrs)
        Main Symptoms: HORRIBLE frequency and pressure

Current meds:
        Wellbutrin Sr (i dont know if this causes flares, but i cant live w/o it at this pt)
        Loestrin
        currently in PT, though I only can go every other week- will be incorporating trigger point injections soon.
        Trying Aloe capsules- but have noticed not change thus far.
        Take Ativan as needed for anxiety
        Vicodin on rare occasions for pain (dont want to be addicted- and it puts me in a euphoric state, but it helps)
        Was given Bentyl for IBS to take when needed. I dont really notice any relief from it though.

Scared to try: Elavil, Lexapro, Neurontin (i have to work to stay thin and healthy, I have put in my time over the years!!!, i dont want to see it slip away because of medication... that would just cause more anxiety and depression)

Have tried w/no luck:
        Detrol LA
        Enablex
        Vesicare
        Elmiron
        Vistiral

Comment

Hi there! I'm 25 and I've been dealing with IC the majority of my life, though it just got diagnosed about 5 years ago. If you need anyone to talk to, drop me a line sometime
          Mommy to 2 crazy, wonderful kids and wife to the most amazing man in the world!

Comment

Hi. I just wanted to say I know what you mean about people not understanding. I am 23 and was just diagnosed in November. Hang in there, I think it only goes up from here. Feel free to message me. Take care

Comment

Interesting that there really are quite a few of us young ones with this dreaded thing. It is nice to know I am not as alone as I thought. Sometimes I swear I must be the only girl in the world who goes to the dr as much as I do and especially the uro! Seriously, it gets pretty depressing in the uro waiting room surrounded by all older folk. I am sure you guys know what I mean.

Dream- I love the your thought "it only goes up from here". That is a great positive outlook to have!!
              Diagnosed formally with IC in July 2007 (although I have had the symptoms for 6-7 yrs)
              Main Symptoms: HORRIBLE frequency and pressure

Current meds:
              Wellbutrin Sr (i dont know if this causes flares, but i cant live w/o it at this pt)
              Loestrin
              currently in PT, though I only can go every other week- will be incorporating trigger point injections soon.
              Trying Aloe capsules- but have noticed not change thus far.
              Take Ativan as needed for anxiety
              Vicodin on rare occasions for pain (dont want to be addicted- and it puts me in a euphoric state, but it helps)
              Was given Bentyl for IBS to take when needed. I dont really notice any relief from it though.

Scared to try: Elavil, Lexapro, Neurontin (i have to work to stay thin and healthy, I have put in my time over the years!!!, i dont want to see it slip away because of medication... that would just cause more anxiety and depression)

Have tried w/no luck:
              Detrol LA
              Enablex
              Vesicare
              Elmiron
              Vistiral

Comment

Thanks Jena. I can totally relate to going to a URO at 23 and being surrounded my an older crowd. Somethings wrong with the whole picture...I shouldn't be there, but I am. I remember the day I was diagnosed, feeling so hopeless. but each day it seems to get better. The pains still there, but it's slowly sinking in that my life's been changed. I just keep telling myself there's a reason behind it all and I just have to keep putting one foot in front of the other. I can either be in a stand still or do what I need to do...and well im slowly doing it...diet...support from people who truly care(I've let go of the ones that chose to walk away)...meds(going to take some time)...Im what my dr calls.."STEERING MY OWN SHIP"...I just hope that all of you know your not alone...You may enter the DR. alone but you can come home to a world of people who understand what your going through. Thank God for this board! Take care.

Comment

Ladies~

You are never alone..only a post away from support, friendship and kindness. I know how hard it must be to deal with this in your 20's. I too can relate to going to the URO and thinking..what am I doing here???
                  to the boards!
                  Mimi~

Currently battling:
                  Migraines
                  IC
                  Panic attacks/Anxiety Disorder

Current Treatments:
                  Pain Meds and Anxiety Meds
                  Gentle Physical Therapy
                  Yoga
                  Heating Pad~my best friend
                  Lots of hot baths w/ Epsom Salts & Baking Soda
                  Tens Unit
                  Prayer

Comment

wonderful people

you guys are great... you have really uplifted my spirits and I see that I am not alone, and that I do have a place to turn when I'm really feeling down... Thank you all for your kind words

~*Hugs*~
                    Current Meds:
                    Elmiron 200mg 2x/day
                    Ditropan 10mg 2x/day

"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." Albert Camus

Comment

I know exactly how you feel! I am 24. I have only had symptoms for just over a year, but it has impacted my social life more than I ever imagined. I'm in med school, so my friends are incredibly understanding, but even they say, "can't you just train your bladder". GRRRR! I can't help it people! They are getting used to the mad dash for the toilet, but it's still hard. It is hard to date and I fear being intimate because of this. I just hope I can get back to feeling normal again. I know that as soon as I can start exercising again, my bladder is getting back to 'normal'... whatever that is.

I noticed that you are only on 2 meds. Have you looked into other meds to help? I don't know what your main symptoms are, but many people need other meds at times (like I take Soma, a muscle relaxant which seems to help).
                      Last edited by born2swim; 01-07-2008, 04:18 PM. Reason: added something
                      [SIZE="1"][B]Be well, Alyssa :hi:[/B]

[

Comment

I am so sorry for all of you that you have this horrible disease. On the bright side you are so fortunate to have a site like the ICN, Doctors that are knowledge or will even say the word IC and new drugs and machines coming on the scene all the time. Just to have a community site would have been great for me.

My IC started in puberty so I have had IC for 30 years. For 20 of those years doctors either thought I was crazy or it had something to do with my IBS, urterus or ovaries. Never did anyone suggest or think it was my bladder or pelvic floor.

Stick together girls and you will be stronger. Here is to you:woohoo:
                        And...if you need any thing by us older women, feel free to ask! God, I never though I would be the one saying that. I was always the baby!

Take Care girlies,
                        B
                        BBB - Diagnosed with Moderate/Severe IC (age 12), Severe PFD and V V (age 21), IBS (from birth) & Gastroparesis (age 42)

Comment

hey! i'm 21 and i live in michigan too! what part of michigan are you in? i was diagnosed in 2005 so i have had some luck with things but have recently had some really bad episodes of flares mixed with infections. i hope you're doing well! you're not alone!
                          Dx with IC sept. 2005
                          elmiron, pyridium, daily abx, detrol LA, instillations

~~I'm a Nursing senior at Michigan State University~~
                          Go Spartans!

Comment

Scoff... Go Spartans? hehe! Sorry, couldn't resist! I was from Ann Arbor originally, but I live in Florida now. It's nice and warm here! Love it in Florida!
                            [SIZE="1"][B]Be well, Alyssa :hi:[/B]

[

Comment

"I noticed that you are only on 2 meds. Have you looked into other meds to help? I don't know what your main symptoms are, but many people need other meds at times (like I take Soma, a muscle relaxant which seems to help)."

My doctor didnt tell me about any other types of Meds.. I'm still pretty clueless about all of this, so I was just going by her judgement, and since being on Elmiron 200mg 2x/day and Ditropan 10mg 2x/day for a few months I've only seen a very slight improvement. She seems to like the "wait and see approach" but idk. She has recommended an introstem but I'm scared to even think about it. So I'm just going one day at a time until my next appointment in December

GO SPARTANS!! (I'm an U of M-Dearborn student, but a spartan fan all the way!!)
                              Last edited by Tricia H; 01-22-2008, 04:15 PM.
                              Current Meds:
                              Elmiron 200mg 2x/day
                              Ditropan 10mg 2x/day

Comment

Working...
                              X