Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sexual question!

Hello,

This feels so incredibly awkward to be asking a question like this to a bunch of people I don't know, but i'm worried and have no one else to talk to who knows what i'm going through so I guess i'll swallow my pride and ask. I'm 23 and was recently diagnosed with IC (actually, still not entirely sure about the diagnosis, but that's what we think). 2 nights ago, I had intercourse for the first time since being diagnosed several months ago. I felt fine during, but then the day after I did notice increased frequency and also started spotting a little bit, and i'm not due for my period for a few more weeks. Is it normal to have spotting after sex with IC? I had protected sex, and was also tested for STDs a few months ago, so I know it's nothing like that but the bleeding does concern me a little.

Monique

Monique,

For me, I did bleed a bit when I started having sex after my IC diagnosis. However, it had been a long time since I'd had sex, so that was the reason I was bleeding. I had an examination and the doctor didn't seem too concerned. If it continues to happen, see a doctor, just in case. My symptoms do increase everytime I have sex. There are great threads on this board about trying to minimize that.
    Current Meds: Nortriptyline (35 mg), Hydroxyzine (50 mg), Cephalexin (250 mg before sexual activity)
    As Needed: Prelief, AZO, Evian Water, Aleve

Comment

Greenredhead,

Thank you so much for your response!! That makes me feel a lot better, and it had been over 6 months so I had sex, so I was thinking that probably had something to do with it too.

Comment

Im scared to have sex. I wonder how to date with IC. We all know Men want sex, so how do you tell a Man that your interested in that you wouldn't want to more than once a week?
        Tracy

Comment

Well prior to having sex a few days ago, my IC was doing pretty well. I take 5 mg of vesicare daily and hadnt had a real flare in months. Now, i'm a mess and basically am back to how I was when I first found out I had IC. I was up all night with pain and frequency. I guess now i'll have to give me body some time to heal. But i'm so worried, am I never going to be able to have a normal sex life again? I'm 23 years old....I can't imagine the rest of my life like this

Comment

Well if I cant ever have sex no man will want me. It's different if you were already married. They already know and love you. Its something I'm going to find out, my Dr. Says I should be dating, I'm just scared. I don't know how long to date before I bring up the dreadful conversation. I would be horrified if I spilled the beans and never heard from them again. A risk I know I have to take, I guess they arennot worth my time then. We know men want sex, I feel like I will have to bargain my sex to someone to keep them. This is so sad!
            Tracy

Comment

tjcoch, I've been dealing with your same thoughts a lot lately. I've been in a relationship for nine months, my first one since being diagnosed. Things were going pretty well in the beginning until I got a UTI. Unfortunately, sex has become a major factor in my increasing pain now. I have slowly had to tell my boyfriend more and more about what's going on with me. I've asked to take breaks from sex for a couple weeks here and there but now I'm afraid it's going to have to be a much longer break. I haven't brought it up yet but will soon. I have accepted this may eventually cause our relationship to end but I know my body and sex certainly isn't doing my IC any favors.

People deal with illness everyday and are also in relationships. I hope to find someone someday that can accept me with the good and the bad. I also know women that are single and loving it. Sure, I was lonely while single but I was able to focus more on my healing path. Good luck!
              Current Meds: Nortriptyline (35 mg), Hydroxyzine (50 mg), Cephalexin (250 mg before sexual activity)

Comment

I did my first date tonight, we just meet for Icecream. I have joined a dating site. I've never dated more than one person at a time. I feel like I shouldn't put all my eggs in one basket. My Dr. Did say that if I was to meet someone who can work with me that I could possibly increase my valium suppositories to times that I did have sex. I haven't had sex since this started, so im really scared. This isn't something I will try until I feel that the person i'm with is patient and understanding. I was told there is a dating site out there for people that can't have sex. I don't want to throw in the towel just yet. If I find that I just cant deal with the pain, I might reserch it.
                Tracy

Comment

Originally posted by tjcoch View Post
                  I did my first date tonight, we just meet for Icecream. I have joined a dating site. I've never dated more than one person at a time. I feel like I shouldn't put all my eggs in one basket. My Dr. Did say that if I was to meet someone who can work with me that I could possibly increase my valium suppositories to times that I did have sex. I haven't had sex since this started, so im really scared. This isn't something I will try until I feel that the person i'm with is patient and understanding. I was told there is a dating site out there for people that can't have sex. I don't want to throw in the towel just yet. If I find that I just cant deal with the pain, I might reserch it.
                  I had no idea that dating site existed. I found it online after a google search. That's awesome!

Comment

Well at least dating them, there's no worry of the topic, lol..... I would like to know if it's possible for me first. I had my Ex of nine years tell me about this site.
                    Tracy

Comment

Interesting, Tjcoch

What is the name of this dating site? Never heard of it.
                      Please see some of my forum postings about my experience

My positive experience at the Wise Anderson Weekend

Interesting Reads out on the Internet:

Comment

Working...
                      X