Sex question!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sex question!

Hey everyone! I was recently diagnosed with IC, though not as severe as most it seems, but still have been having a hard time getting a grip on what triggers my flares. Recently I went away to school for a few months and when I came back I notice that each time I have had sex with my boyfriend, I get a pretty severe flare a couple days later. I am 22 and have been with my boyfriend for over 2 years, and I'm just noticing this now.
    Has anyone else ever experienced this or know if this is normal? Are there any recommendations as to what to do before/after sex to control flares? Any help would be great. Thanks so much!!

If you go to this link:

https://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

and scroll down to "Sex and Intimacy" there are many, many great pieces of advice. This is a really common problem for women with IC.
    Diagnosed with IC in 2005, since then have been diagnosed with an unspecified autoimmune disease, with inflammation in my bladder, colon, left knee, left ear, left eye, lungs and pericardium. Argh!

Medical research addict.

Comment

Re: Sex question!

I know you posted this a long time ago, but I thought I would share my experiences with intercourse. I haven't' even attempted to have sex in about a year because i am in so much pain down there that I can't do it. I usually tried to tough it out, but for the last year of my last relationship (that ended in March) I hadn't had intercourse without crying. I know there is a vaginal suppository that you can get that numbs it to make intercourse bearable. After sex I had to pee immediately and I would be in so much pain and it would burn so bad that I usually curled up in a ball for the rest of the night. I also have to take macrodantin after intercourse to prevent UTIs, and that has to be taken with food. The next day was usually really painful for me. I think part of it was from the macrodantin, but I usually had increased frequency and A LOT of burning. Sex is not enjoyable for me at all, so I am very jealous of any ICers that can.

I hope this answers some of your questions.
      About me: 23 year old female. Diagnosed with IC on 1/30/14

Current Medications: Elmiron 100mg 3 times per day before meals | Urelle 4 times per day (as needed) | Macrodantin- as needed after intercourse | Birth Control Pill

Symptoms: Urgency/frequency that worsens at night, (unbearable) pain (burning) during and after intercourse, burning/discomfort during period, side pains, and cramps. I have to go to the bathroom about every hour during the day, and I usually only wake up once during the night to go to the bathroom.

History: May 2011- Ovarian cyst removal. Frequent Bladder infections from May 2011- February 2012. Three lactobacillus infections from September 2011-February 2012. Pain has not left since February 2012.
      Tried IC diet in February 2013 with no improvements at all.
      Tried pelvic floor Physical Therapy with minimal improvements

Self-Help: Hot showers before bed. Sleeping with heating pad. Currently on the IC diet since mid Feb 2014. No improvements yet.

Comment

Working...
      X