Grateful for Maine Coons, lol!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wow

And I thought my cat was big. I just have a regular house cat ,all 13 lbs. of her ! she is huge! Gracie will not eat any kind of tuna or seafood treat but, open a bag of chips and no matter where you are in the house she will track you down! She also loves white cake without the frosting and popcorn and begs like a dog if you don't give her any. Do any of your cats like boxes? Mine likes to find the smallest box possible like a shoe box and stuffs herslf in it.Even at 8 she's pretty wild. Are Main Coons all wild or can you buy them in a pet strore. I live in the midwest and the closest thing we have are bobcats.
    Eva

Comment

I dont know if you can buy them at the pet store, I imagine you could but I have mostly seen them online. It seems like there is a long waiting list at most of the places I have looked. I can see why now!
      I am going to try to start pestering my hubby to let me get one. So many people here have said they were allergic but not to the maine coons.
      My moms cats wont eat people food! It is weird. But one of them will lay in any sink in the house. I find him in the bathroom sink all the time. He is so big he takes up the whole sink, lol!
      Sarah
      Current meds; , effexor 37.5 mg 2 times a day, and lyrica 100 mg 3 times a day, lots of reading and snuggling with the pets!

Comment

Try to look for a good breeder through referrals and stuff because someone who breeds for the love of the animal typically won't take them to a pet store to sell. (I know that's probably controversial, so no offense please.)

Also, pet stores can charge 2,3, and sometimes more times the amount that a quality breeder will charge. A good breeder will tell you that you are buying a pet quality animal and not a show quality, and price the animal accordingly.

My aunt has four little YORKIE boy puppies for sale right now and will just hang onto them until they sell, rather than take them to a petstore where they won't be as healthy.
        http://www.TheCraftyEwe.etsy.com

Comment

Moonheart, I have to say I agree 100% with you about the pet stores. I know that might be controversial but I do agree. I also have a big big problem with many zoos. Most zoos. Some seem to have the animals best interest at heart but many dont.
          I am a huge animal lover. My stepdad always gets upset with me b/c he says I care about animal suffering more than people suffering.
          Sarah
          Current meds; , effexor 37.5 mg 2 times a day, and lyrica 100 mg 3 times a day, lots of reading and snuggling with the pets!

Comment

Oh good, it's not just me.

I don't want to offend anyone who purchases at pet stores. It's just that not everyone realizes what goes on there.

I'm a huge pet lover as well. I used to pick up every stray critter around. I brought home crawdads, baby birds...anyway...

Sorry for the thread hijack!

Comment

Breeders

Maine Coons are not wild.

My Maine Coons both came from the same carefully chosen Breeder in Spingfield, MA. We love her and will continue to go with her for as long as she continues to do it. She doesn't believe in showing her Maine Coons because it was as she put it, "too stessful on her Coons". We visited several Catteries before we settled on the Oldstage Maine Coons.

http://oldestagemainecoons.tripod.com/Cattery.html

Kara

Ghengus and Justin together.

Last edited by Kara29; 03-09-2007, 05:36 AM.
              Complex Case: Severe IC 1999, Interstim 2001, Endometriosis 2001, End Stage Refractory IC 2002, Bladder Removal (Cystectomy) 2002, Gall Bladder Removal 2005, Infertility 2003, Urethra Removal, Bladder Reconstruction (Urethrectomy/Indiana Pouch) 2006, Celiac Disease 2007, Adhesion Disease 2007, Pudendal Nerve Entrapment, Ovarian Cysts, Vestibulitis, Vulvodynia, Total Vestibulectomy and removal of both Skene's Glands, 2007 and Coccydynia 2007. Fibromyalgia and, Chronic Myofascial Pain Syndrome both in my neck and knees, 2007, PNE Decompression Operation May, 2009.Multiple Chemical Sensitivities, Anesthesia Awareness (to awaken during operations)Pudendal Nerve Decompression Surgery, Revrse Uterine Sling, Sept. 2011

"One hour at a time, this was NOT my American Dream but it has to work out somehow."

I also have some journals of my journeys, past and some present at:
              http://karasnewblog2008.blogspot.com/ and http://icnkaralynn.blogspot.com/

Most of my Journaling now is currently on Facebook. These are old and my ICN Patient story is very old and outdated.

Comment

Oh my gosh Kara, i went and looked at that website and they are just so cute. I like that big fluffy whiteish one! I have never seen a whiteish maine coon before. They do look well cared for too.
                Sarah

Comment

Oh, Maines come in all different colors -- the standard tabby ones, tabby with white chests and paws, reddish tabbies rather than brown, solid black, grey, everything

I got Paddington from longtime breeders in Memphis -- they are/were president and treasurer of the Maine Coon Breeders and Fanciers Association. They were wonderful and cared deeply about all of their cats -- and even wouldn't sell cats to people they got a "bad feeling" about! Luckily, they liked Hubby and I a lot and we got my Padster

You can check out their site -- http://www.calitan.net for Calicoon and Tanstaafl Maine Coons. Lynne and Beth merged their separate catteries into one a while ago hence the double name. (Pad is a Calicoon kitty -- full registered name is Calicoon Paddington Asbjorn ).

Oh... and if you go to the site, click on "Past Kittens." Scroll down until you see the picture of three brown tabby kittens in a basket -- it's just above the pics of all the pure black kittens. In that basket, the kitten on the LEFT is Paddington when he was two months old. LOL
                  Jen

*Diagnosed with severe IC in 2004
                  *Also diagnosed with PFD, fibromyalgia, chronic myofascial pain, IBS, migraines, allergies/asthma, dermatographism
                  *Kept trying a million different treatments for all these things until I found what works, and I am doing okay these days with the help of a cocktail of medications and the InterStim, which was first placed in 2007. [I have had 2 revisions - one in 2010 when my battery died and had to be replaced, and one complete replacement (lead and generator) in 2012 after a fall on my stairs caused my lead to move.]
                  *Current meds include Atarax (50mg at night), Lyrica (150mg twice a day), Xanax (0.5mg at night and as needed), Zanaflex (4mg at night), hydrocodone (10/325, every 6 hours as needed), Advair, Nasonex, Singulair (10mg at night), oral contraceptives, home instills containing Elmiron and Marcaine (as often as I need to do them).

**I am not a medical authority nor do I offer definitive medical advice. I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

He is SOOO cute Jen! How do they get them to pose like that? I like the kinda white ones, they are so pretty. What does asbjorn mean?
                    Oh one other thing I have always wondered is what does your screen name stand for? It is very unusual.

Comment

Okay, now I have to show off how cute Pixie Bobs are. They are similar to Maine Coons I think in that they are big and cuddly with great personalities. I love their spotted bellies!

http://www.pixiebobs.org/kings.html

http://www.pixiebobs.org/LitterVardaSalal.html

Comment

Sarah -- I'm not sure how they get them to pose, but there are photographers who specialize in photographing cats, and I'm sure they have all sorts of tricks to use. Sometimes I wish I knew what they were!

"Asbjorn" means "divine bear" in Norwegian. Since the original "Paddington" is a bear, and we named our kitten Paddington because he was going to be a big, gentle bear of a cat, we chose Asbjorn because (1) it fit with his first name and (2) it went with hubby's Norwegian heritage.

As for "Sarojini" -- it comes from Aldous Huxley's lesser known book "Island." In the book, a man ends up on an island that seems like the perfect utopia, but as the man delves more into the culture, he is horrified by some things... the lesson being that even perfection can be crappy. One of the characters is named Mary Sarojini, and being a Huxley fan I took the name, since I do believe things that are too perfect can be crappy
                        Jen

*Diagnosed with severe IC in 2004
                        *Also diagnosed with PFD, fibromyalgia, chronic myofascial pain, IBS, migraines, allergies/asthma, dermatographism
                        *Kept trying a million different treatments for all these things until I found what works, and I am doing okay these days with the help of a cocktail of medications and the InterStim, which was first placed in 2007. [I have had 2 revisions - one in 2010 when my battery died and had to be replaced, and one complete replacement (lead and generator) in 2012 after a fall on my stairs caused my lead to move.]
                        *Current meds include Atarax (50mg at night), Lyrica (150mg twice a day), Xanax (0.5mg at night and as needed), Zanaflex (4mg at night), hydrocodone (10/325, every 6 hours as needed), Advair, Nasonex, Singulair (10mg at night), oral contraceptives, home instills containing Elmiron and Marcaine (as often as I need to do them).

**I am not a medical authority nor do I offer definitive medical advice. I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

Oooh, I should have caught that! I'm a huge fan of Utopian/anti-Utopian culture.

Now you got me excited.

Comment

Pixie Bobs

The Pixie Bobs look like giant Bengals. They are so beautiful!!!

I originally wanted and Abyssinian but my Husband wanted a Maine Coon. After visiting several breeders, I fell in love with Peggy's Maine Coons and well....gave in. Am I ever so glad that I did. I still someday would love to have and Abby but the time isn't right. We would like a little girl when my 12 year old bunny passes. I would like a Silver Tabby Maine Coon next. One of my best friends has a silver female Maine Coon and she is gorgeous!! They are often referred to as Gentle Giants.

Jen,

Your name is so special. I'm glad you taught us what it means. I love Paddington's name. I always have! Sometimes I refer to Ghengus as a BIG Bear. We have a photo from Alaska of a Polar Bear that we think of as Gheng (only he's brown). We have a photo of an Otter from Alaska that we refer to as Justin's. Justin sits like an otter. The fur between the toes reminds me of ALF. Hehe

Wouldn't it be something if they met eachother. I wonder if it would be a hissing festival at first.

Kara
                            Complex Case: Severe IC 1999, Interstim 2001, Endometriosis 2001, End Stage Refractory IC 2002, Bladder Removal (Cystectomy) 2002, Gall Bladder Removal 2005, Infertility 2003, Urethra Removal, Bladder Reconstruction (Urethrectomy/Indiana Pouch) 2006, Celiac Disease 2007, Adhesion Disease 2007, Pudendal Nerve Entrapment, Ovarian Cysts, Vestibulitis, Vulvodynia, Total Vestibulectomy and removal of both Skene's Glands, 2007 and Coccydynia 2007. Fibromyalgia and, Chronic Myofascial Pain Syndrome both in my neck and knees, 2007, PNE Decompression Operation May, 2009.Multiple Chemical Sensitivities, Anesthesia Awareness (to awaken during operations)Pudendal Nerve Decompression Surgery, Revrse Uterine Sling, Sept. 2011

"One hour at a time, this was NOT my American Dream but it has to work out somehow."

I also have some journals of my journeys, past and some present at:
                            http://karasnewblog2008.blogspot.com/ and http://icnkaralynn.blogspot.com/

Most of my Journaling now is currently on Facebook. These are old and my ICN Patient story is very old and outdated.

Comment

Oh I'm so glad you like them Kara! Aren't they wonderful? They are such loves . They have black ear tips so they are very much like wild cats and similar to the Lynx.

Comment

The pixies are SO cute!! Their faces do look like Bengals or something. Did you say you had a pixie Moonheart? I want a cat now! I just have to work on hubby, lol.
                                I am so happy you explained your name Jen. I have always wondered where it came from. I agree also that perfection is not an ideal I would ever like to achieve or a state I would like everything to be in. How could you enjoy the good moments if you never had any bad moments? If we lived everyday in our idea of perfection, wouldnt it cease to be perfect and become ordinary?
                                I too have always loved Paddington's name. There is something very comforting about it!
                                I didnt know you had a bunny Kara. I grew up with bunnies. My mom loved them. I was horrified in france how many people ate rabbit. It seemed to be the main dish at most restaurants! Icky. I am very American when it comes to the meat I will eat. No sheep stomach, rabbit or bull balls for me, lol!
                                I love this thread. It is so cool to hear all about everyones pets. They bring us so much joy.
                                Sarah

Comment

Working...
                                X