to Be alive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• to Be alive

On March 3rd I almost left this world from carbon monoxide poisoning. It was the worst experience in my entire life. I have a whole new respect for life, my outlook certainly has changed. Savannah's levels for carbon monoxide poison were 10 mine were 27. after trying 3 times and failing to get blood gas from my wrist I about became unhinged, the pain is horrible. Then 4 fails on ivs they blew my veins, finally got it in my hand. They moved me to a different part of the hospital they hooked me up to a heart monitor and long term stay. They finally brought Savannah over after I kept asking. I sent David home to let Gracie in she is ok, right after he left they came back and said that they need more blood work, did they take it out of the port? nope poked me again. the dr came in, told me they were transferring me to DMC for a lung depression and pure oxygen. They rushed me to DMC with the lights and sirens. The tank looked like a sub with 18 individual chambers. I had this space looking hat thing on that gave pure straight oxygen. They decompressed the tank to 66 feet below sea level. I did 20 minutes of pure oxygen, then they took the hat off for 10 mins then back with the hat, that was for 1 hour, then they compressed to 30 feet for an hour. I have to go back on Monday to do it again. The purpose is to stop any brain damage that can occur. carbon monoxide attaches to your lungs and brain faster then oxygen. The purpose of going under sea level is to get pure oxygen and it replaces 1/2 of your body oxygen in 23 mins.
    The Equipment they used was called a hyperbaric. Poison control will call me weekly for several weeks. What happened was we bought a generator we sat it on the porch to see if it worked all right and worked for what we needed. I became very dizzy and had great difficulty crawling, walking or standing wasn't optional. I called David andd got it shut off, and savannah was falling asleep, my judgement became irrational. I knew I had to get out, but wasn't sure how I could . I don't remember getting my coat on, I got Savannahs shoes, I had her coat because she had them on, she kept wanting to go to sleep, the longer I talked to her, the more confused my mind became. Savannah headed up stairs I couldn't walk, I got to the steps and she was telling me she had to go to bed. I crawled dragging her out the front door, during all this David apparently called, I just remember crying telling him I was scared, I can't get my baby out. I thought that was it for me, and prayed Savannah would make it, because I was sure I wasn't. How ever I managed to drag us both out side. Savannah actually gave them a pretty good description of what happened She told them mommy was holding me crying talking to daddy, she said I couldn't go to bed we had to go out side. I knew wasn't leaving with out my baby the house could be burning down, I was getting more nonfunctional by the second. I can't begin to explain, I didn't feel right, my head was in a cloud I suppose, everything was in very slow motion. My bp was high I took it before I became not with it. my heart was racing, my lungs burned, my hands were numb and tingly my legs wouldn't carry me I had a hard time even crawling, Savannah, couldn't or wouldn't walk, I drug her along side of me and out the door. I was there for a few seconds I was putting savannahs coat on, I think she was crying and said that was good breath deep, but the cold air hurt my lungs, she tried to go back to sleep on the way to er. I remember bits and pieces, its coming back a little at a time. I know I was scared and Cried I told Savannah I loved her and I needed her to help me. She was a brave girl in er. I am sharing this because this is called the silent killer. I am very lucky to be alive. They said 2 more mins in this house I wouldn't have made it. For me to experience the symptoms, and be able to drag out my little girl, they said it was remarkable to have the strong desire to live. Please get a detector i your
    home, ours was from an out side source, but get your furnace checked every year. I knew something was wrong. I was lucky, not may are.
    Last edited by tigger_gal; 03-10-2012, 04:37 PM.
    'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

to be alive

Well my goodness!

I'm so glad that you're okay. What a thing to go through-sounds awful.

I hope all is well now.

Laurie

Comment

Thank you. It is not an experience I want to ever relive. I didn't want to go back home I was afraid. I didn't sleep almost a week. I hope no one every has to go through any of that. They said being exposed it can kill you in 5 to 10 mins. I was exposed to it for 30 mins, thats why I was so lucky.
      'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

Comment

oh yeas for sure, most of the time this happens as a Dilbert act, or when people are sleeping when their furnaces malfunctions. FYI People who drive pick up trucks, and kids who sit in the back seat has a higher chance of getting carbon monoxide poisoning. I learned so much because of this. also what helped me out was I couldn't walk, being in the floor where fresher air was, was a plus, Carbon monoxide is lighter then air.

Comment

Oh My gosh, thank God you and your daughter are alright. What a terrifying experinece. We had a neighbor whose 18 year old daughter went out to the garage with her friend during the winter to wait for the brother to take them to work (they all worked together at the same place.) well my neighbor and her friend turned the car on to keep warm but did not open the garage door. They fell asleep within minutes and died. Not 15 minutes later the brother went out to the car and found them there dead. It was horrible. Two beuatiful young girls gone within minutes. They did not think to open the door of the garage before turning on the car. So yes, you are right, it is very scary what carbon monoxcide can do. I always change our batteries about every 6 months in all of our detectors.

Again, I am so happy you and your daughter are both ok..... Sorry you had to go through this.

Comment

So glad you and your daughter made it out of that house and are still alive to tell about it. Thanks for reminding us of the grave danger that can lurk in our homes. Years ago we had a gas space heater in our garage so when my husband and son worked on their cars there would be a little bit of warmth. My son and his friend were working on my son's car one evening with the heater on and the side dood opened. Their girlfriends went out to see what was taking them so long as they wanted to go eat. So the girls decided to stay and try to hurry them up. They didn't like the door open so they shut it and all they fumes built up and luckily I smelled it in the house and went out and opened the garage door and reamed all of them out. Those 2 girls could have killed all 5 of us. They were really angry and didn't ever come back to my house. My son soon broke up with his girlfriend over this. Guess he didn't like almost being killed and her being such a baby about me getting furious with them.

Comment

You have gone through so much Cindy!!!! So glad you were able to accomplish a miracle although I am not surprised....you are an angel!!!

I hope many more miracles without that fear and not very enjoyable experience are headed your way!!!
              Faith, Hope, and Love,
              Katrina

I believe God is using me. He uses me for God. Things I gain from all my suffering are meant to help others. I hope I can help you too. Email me or start a chat if you like my help or anything. I CARE!Illnesses: IC,IBS, IBD, GERD, PFD, Epilepsy, Endo, Allergies, RLM,Rapid heart beat, low blood pressure,Gastritis,Gall stones,Tendonitis,migraines, Shingles, Prolapsed pouch,ext. fatigue (current problem) I have seen periods of remission and I have seen them end and return. At this time remission is over and working on getting it back!

IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
              or find me on facebook http://www.facebook.com/kat671?ref=profile
              Be the Miracle! & Pay it Forward!

[email protected] please contact me...I am here to help!

Comment

We have not only a smoke detector, but a monoxide one --- we have a pellet stove and taking chances is just not okay.

I'm glad you're okay.

Donna
                Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
                Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
                Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
                [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Thank you very much everyone. I just wanted my experience to be known for others to be aware of it.

Comment

Thank you for posting this information.

Last year, we had our electrical box set up for an auxiliary generator. The 220 Volt plug for the for the genrator is on our front porch. So far, we have never had an electrical failure but I will definitely push the generator to the edge of the porch if we ever have to use it. Our front porch is at least six feet wide...probably more.

Again, thank you for this posting. We will be extra careful.

Thank goodness you and your daughter got out in time.

Comment

Glad to here you and your family is ok sweetie.

Comment

Ifran, my porch is also 6ft wide and 10ft long, I still ended up in ER. I will be buying the longest cord I can and keep it 100 feet or better from my house. I will never make that mistake again. It is not worth our lives. If you can reroute that off your porch 100 ft or further from the house it will be so much safer.

THANK YOU

Comment

I am sooo glad you are ok! That sounds terrifying!

Jenn
                          28 yrs old,

I have little to no problems now with my bladder, unless I am very stressed out, I forget to take Elmiron for a few days, or I eat or drink something that I know is a trigger...(i.e) like eating a tomato or drinking tea.... Took a long time to get here, but it IS possible to feel good again I just want people who are new to know that IT CAN get better, and for every one person who is suffering, there are hundreds of others who feel GREAT because they have control of thier IC.

What Works: Tylenol 3's, Pyridium, Elmiron (Going on 4 years now!) HOT showers!!!

Medications/ Vitamins: Elmiron-100mg 4x's daily Tylenol 3's/Advil (flaring) Vitamin D, WILD salmon oil 4x gels in the morning, Women's ONE a DAY multivitamin (the gummy kind doesn't make me flare) and PROBIOTICS!

Me in my graduation gown!

Comment

Working...
                          X