X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jaime15
    replied
    {{{{Tig}}}}
    I'm so sorry too.........many hugs and prayers for you and your {{{Mom}}}.

Leave a comment:

• ICLori
    replied
    Cindy, I'm so very sorry. (((HUGS))) Prayers too.

I hope so much it will be a very long time (hopefully will never happen) until your Mom needs dialysis. She still has a fair amount of her kidneys working, we can actually do pretty well on a small percent of our kidneys working, so hopefully she won't need to face this any time soon.

When I went in last time to give blood to monitor my kidneys, there was a lady there talking about how they made a fistula in her arm - I think it was her left forearm. That's the operation they do to make a person ready for dialysis. I asked her if the fistula hurt, and she said she couldn't feel it at all, wasn't bad or anything. She said she was kind of sore right after the surgery, which makes sense because surgery does make a person sore, but they gave her pain meds and everything was fine. So that part of it didn't sound so bad to me. And I've read up a lot on dialysis and it seems like the worst part is mostly how much time it takes, but people bring books and read, or they do things like that. Sometimes people even nap. Some people get these really cool machines to use at home where it does the dialysis overnight and they just sleep through it! There is an alarm that goes off if the line gets tangled or a problem happens like that so there is no worries. I learned about this stuff because I joined a yahoo group and read people's stories. All in all, once you kind of get used to the whole routine (it is an adjustment, it's true, just like any illness is an adjustment) it doesn't sound as bad as IC does (to me anyway.) And remember how they always say, our quality of life is worse than dialysis patients? I think it might be true, honestly. What I'm thinking is that if your Mom has been living with IC, this thing won't seem so bad in comparison.

Also, I'm wondering, if she's already at the point where urine is refluxing into the kidneys, are her doctors saying it might be time to have the bladder out and a pouch made or a bag installed maybe? Would that save what is left of her kidney function, if they were to do that? (Might very well end the IC pain, there's about a 50% chance of it ending the pain, wouldn't that be a good thing, to get rid of that pain?) Now, the high blood pressure, that for sure can also harm kidneys. That's one of the biggest things that causes kidney failure, after diabetes. BUT - I have always heard that high blood pressure can be managed? I'm hoping that her doctors can get her high blood pressure under control very soon.

Anyway, I'm so sorry she is facing this. I know that her doctors are doing everything they can, I'm just thinking out loud here I guess. I'm sure you have already talked about all of this with her.

I hope that things will work out okay and that it won't be nearly as bad as it sounds.

Blessings,
    Lori
    P.S. My kidneys seems stable at 1.8 or 1.9, which gives me a GFR of 30 (kidneys functioning at 30%, the bad part of Stage 3 just like your Mom.) The Nephrologist doesn't hold out much hope of my kidneys getting better at this point, although we will continue to test them now and then. So I might be going down the same road as your Mom pretty soon, too. I think things will be okay, for your Mom and for me too. I think we will get through it.

Leave a comment:

• tigger_gal
    replied
    thank you girls.

Leave a comment:

• chainsaw
    replied
    So sorry to hear about your mom. I will keep her in my prayers.
    Kim

Leave a comment:

• meme
    replied
    You and you mom are in my thoughts. ((hugs))
    Leah

Leave a comment:

• SharonA
    replied
    More (((((((((hugs)))))))))) coming your way. Pass some of them on to your mother.

Leave a comment:

• tigger_gal
    replied
    thank you so very much

Leave a comment:

• humpieumpumkin
    replied

Erika

Leave a comment:

• Kara29
    replied
    Praying for You and your Mom! I am hoping that what Donna said is true for your Mom. Tracey's Mom being on the mend is so encouraging as well. Let's pray that your Mom will get treated appropriately and turn around.

HUGS! and Prayers

Kara

Leave a comment:

• patricia1
    replied

Leave a comment:

• waterflow
    replied

Leave a comment:

• tigger_gal
    replied
    thank you

Leave a comment:

• traceann
    replied
    Oh gosh Tig, I totally know what you are going through - we just got my mom back up and running. I am sending HUGE prayers her way! Just know - it will be ok!

XOXO

Leave a comment:

• Bessie
    replied

Leave a comment:

• tigger_gal
    replied
    Thank you so much girls

Leave a comment:

Working...
X