Joel Olsteen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joel Olsteen

I didn't know if I should put this on the Spirituality/faith thread or here, but it fits both. I have recently discovered a television program on every Sunday with Joel Olsteen, pastor of Lakewood Church in Texas. His program is shown nationally, and he has a website. He has been extemely inspirational to me the past few weeks. His sermons recently have addressed making an effort to change thought patterns from negative to positive (catching those negative ones early and stopping them in their tracks because they do harm to us), purposefully choosing to enjoy life in good and difficult times, and confidantly expecting great things by having faith. He told a story recently of a woman who had been ill a long time and went from dr. to dr. looking for an answer. At last, one dr. wrote on a prescription pad, say this every day once an hour, "Every day I am getting better in every way." She did this, and she started feeling better. I don't know if it actually "cured" her, but she felt better and stronger. He has talked about how our thoughts really do influence us, including our health. Last week he talked about how to expect great things with help from faith. Because our thoughts influence us so much, if we fear something, it will probably come to pass. He told the story of a man who was locked in a refrigerated car train overnight. He feared being frozen and not found so badly, and wrote a note that said it was just too cold in there and he was not going to make it. He was found dead the next day. The strange thing was that the car temperature had been at about 61 degrees the whole night, certainly not freezing. The medical examiner found no other cause of death but that fear he must of had of being frozen. Powerful example of how fearful, negative thoughts can affect our outcome. If we expect good things and go by faith that things will get better in difficult times, then our outlook is much better. Joel says that if you don't feel like smiling or thinking good thoughts, try to do it anyway by faith that it will help you.

If interested, check your TV guide or his website. I think he also has a book out. Plus, he's traveling to visit different cities. Might want to try saying "Every day I'm getting better in every way." Can't hurt and can only help, right?

I love that show! He has such a warm, positive message.
    Kim

Diagnosed August 2001

Current IC meds: Elmiron (since 2001), Levaquin (one pill after intercourse to prevent UTIs), Effexor (for depression & anxiety)

Past IC meds: Amitriptyline (Elavil), Hydroxyzine (Vistaril), Detrol LA, Lexapro (for depression & anxiety, but also helped my IC) (They all helped, but I was able to discontinue them.)

I've been virtually symptom free and able to eat & drink whatever I'd like for about 8 years now.

“We who lived in concentration camps can remember the men who walked through the huts comforting others, giving away their last piece of bread. They may have been few in number, but they offer sufficient proof that everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms -- to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way.” ~ Viktor Frankl

“You cannot control what happens to you, but you can control your attitude toward what happens to you, and in that, you will be mastering change rather than allowing it to master you.” ~ Brian Tracy

Comment

Hi July,
      I often tape the Lakewood Church program on Sunday mornings & keep the videotape near the TV in my bedroom so if I'm flaring at night, I can watch it again to stay positive. I also have several of his messages on CD to listen to before I go to sleep. Basically, I listen to Joel Osteen's sermons to battle the negativity that seems to come with IC and it really helps! I second (third, really--Hi Kim) the recommendation
      Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
      I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
      ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
      Source - Pinterest
      "

Current treatments:
      -IC diet
      -Elavil 50mg at night
      -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
      -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
      -Pyridium if needed,
      -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
      -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
      -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
      -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
      -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
      -Managing stress= VERY important!
      -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Comment

Hi, Kadi!
        Kim

Diagnosed August 2001

Current IC meds: Elmiron (since 2001), Levaquin (one pill after intercourse to prevent UTIs), Effexor (for depression & anxiety)

Past IC meds: Amitriptyline (Elavil), Hydroxyzine (Vistaril), Detrol LA, Lexapro (for depression & anxiety, but also helped my IC) (They all helped, but I was able to discontinue them.)

I've been virtually symptom free and able to eat & drink whatever I'd like for about 8 years now.

“We who lived in concentration camps can remember the men who walked through the huts comforting others, giving away their last piece of bread. They may have been few in number, but they offer sufficient proof that everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms -- to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way.” ~ Viktor Frankl

“You cannot control what happens to you, but you can control your attitude toward what happens to you, and in that, you will be mastering change rather than allowing it to master you.” ~ Brian Tracy

Comment

I have often found his sermons inspiring while channel surfing. He is good preacher.

TexasHoney
          TexasHoney

Let's keep praying for a cure.
          IC Symptoms began in early 2001
          Divorced : Sept 2002 (Partly due to IC)
          Diagnosed with IC in April 2004
          Most recent injury - Rupurtured Left Achilles Tendon
          Wed Jan 28 2009
          (Ice Storm Accident)
          2nd Achilles Tendon Surgery - May 28, 2009 after re-injury on May 17
          Other Injuries
          Broken Left Ankle - July 2004 ( fell off ladder)
          Broken Left Ankle (Again) - May 2005 (car accident)
          Sprained Left Ankle - November 2006 ( fell off my aunts porch on Thanksgiving Day)

CURRENT MEDS
          Elmiron, Pyridium

Comment

Working...
          X