No announcement yet.

Any Buddhists about?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are some meditative practices that can help deal with intense physical pain. There is also a healing meditation you can do for yourself (and others!) I'll see if I can find more information for you.

One thing you notice when you meditate for a while (and this can be helpful to focus your observation on) is that pain is not a constant, finite presence. It waxes and wanes, changes intensity, shape and color. Sometimes concentrating on the nature of pain can help make it easier to manage or bear up under. You learn to approach and "befriend" it rather than it being something you are always subjected to.

Yogic breathwork (pranayama) as part of a meditative practice helps reduce anxiety and makes it easier for your body to relax and replenish itself, which is important when people are dealing with chronic illnesses. Our bodies are depleted of good prana (energy or "chi") because of these illnesses and pranayama helps restore that balance to our bodies. Truly the breath of life! It's very easy to do also. Here's some good instruction on how to do the dirga (3 part) breath:
    http://www.yogabasics.com/pranayama/DirgaPranayama.html

I am planning on learning how to do Reiki and related forms of energy (pranic) healing. I had an amazing experience with an energy healer recently and know from my experiences (as well as other people I've spoken with) that they do much to alleviate pain and discomfort.

Tonglen meditation is a way to connect with suffering (ours and others) and do a practice that both gives and receives. Pema Chodron is one of the best teachers of this method: http://www.shambhala.org/teachers/pema/tonglen1.php

She is a Buddhist nun and her books on dealing with difficult times, loss, pain and fear are wonderful, warm and insightful -- definitely worth reading.

Kara, coloring mandalas sounds really cool! Thanks for sharing that info!
    Namaste

"You must be the change you want to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi

"The most important medicine is tender love and care" - Mother Teresa

Proud mother of Ahleia, born on April 9, 2007

-----------------------
    Diagnosed with:
    IC, OAB, Congenital urethral stricture, IBS, Vulvar vestibulitis, Heart murmur, Congenital cervical stenosis...but otherwise doing great!

Meds:
    Currently in remission, but took the following for 3 years: Elmiron 200 mg., Elavil 25 mg., Detrol LA 4mg, Ovcon-35

Health treatments/practices:
    Kripalu yoga, Chiropractic, Massage therapy and Reiki

Comment

I just found out that Pema Chodron was diagnosed with CFS and environmental illness. She has been so comfortable talking about pain and loss in a way that is very direct and compassionate, and now I can see why.
      Namaste

"You must be the change you want to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi

"The most important medicine is tender love and care" - Mother Teresa

Proud mother of Ahleia, born on April 9, 2007

-----------------------
      Diagnosed with:
      IC, OAB, Congenital urethral stricture, IBS, Vulvar vestibulitis, Heart murmur, Congenital cervical stenosis...but otherwise doing great!

Meds:
      Currently in remission, but took the following for 3 years: Elmiron 200 mg., Elavil 25 mg., Detrol LA 4mg, Ovcon-35

Health treatments/practices:
      Kripalu yoga, Chiropractic, Massage therapy and Reiki

Comment

I know this is an old thread, but I was just reading it today. I know we have alot of new people to the ICN lately, who may be Buddist and would love to meet others who are too.

Also, even for those who arent Buddist, there are so many elements that can be useful to us too, such as the yoga, meditation, etc.

Just wanted to bump this up so that anyone new who hasnt seen it will get the chance again.

Hugs to all,
        Amy

Comment

I'm really psyched that you did. Buddhist practice can be incorporated with Unitarianism, and I'm sure I can benefit from some meditative techniques.
          Je vous souhaite de la joie, de la bonne santée, et tout ce qu'il y a de bon dans la vie.
          Wishing you happiness and good health, and all the best out of life.

Peace, Carolyn

Laura (11), Susannah (12 1/2) and Maman (that's me!), North Wildwood NJ, September 2007

On the Beach with IC

Comment

I'm interested in finding out more about Unitarianism. Any suggestions? I recently filled out a "what religion are you" type quiz and it suggested I look into Unitarianism, based on my answers.

So does anyone here read Yoga Journal magazine? I find some of the articles to be of great help with IC/PFD, especially the December issue that talked forever about how to stretch the back and pelvic muscles without injury. Very useful. I read it from cover to cover! I cannot imagine dealing with these types of illnesses without yoga.
            Holly
            1/19/2006 diagnosed with PBS/possible IC
            2/1/2006 Elmiron & Elavil 50mg
            3/2006 began PN symptoms
            7/18/2006 broth culture sent (found Strep D) stopped Elmiron & Elavil and began long-term amoxicillin - IC symptoms relieved at last!
            09/29/2006 PNMLT found pudendal nerve damage on rt side (nerve block to be done Oct 4)
            10/20/2006 - lyrica for PN pain (didn't last)
            11/20/2006 - cymbalta for PN (didn't last)
            12/2006 - stopped all meds and started Dr. Moldwin's therapy of valium and PT for PFD, which is still working for me
            UPDATE 7/1/2008 - weaning off the valium...taking 2mg nightly about 5 days a week, so doing great. No more pudendal nerve pain, although I'm careful about how I sit at work and try to exercise to stay relaxed to minimize PFD. A powerplate workout machine helps massage those inner PF muscles, and I take MSM and glucosamine (in MonaVie) religiously, which are both natural antiinflammatories. I feel GREAT!
            UPDATE 2/16/2010 - completely pain free!

Looks like the "IC" pain caused my PFD, which pinched and damaged my pudendal nerve, which in turn sends out misguided signals to my PF muscles....battling this pain cycle, but at least I have been pain-free bladder-wise for 2 years now!

JMHO - I don't believe that antibiotic therapy should be considered controversial....the theory that "IC" is a disease should be controversial. I believe that we all must find out what causes the damage to our bladder linings, stop that, and then let it heal. In only 9 short months, I added EVERYTHING back to my diet and have been "IC"-free for 2 years and counting.

Comment

Thanks for "resurrecting" this Buddhism thread!

Comment

Sure thing! Hopefully more people will see it too and come on over and post.

Comment

Info on Unitarians

Hollipop -- Try www.uua.org. Then just drop in for services at your nearest congregation. You will be welcomed.
                  Je vous souhaite de la joie, de la bonne santée, et tout ce qu'il y a de bon dans la vie.
                  Wishing you happiness and good health, and all the best out of life.

Peace, Carolyn

Laura (11), Susannah (12 1/2) and Maman (that's me!), North Wildwood NJ, September 2007

On the Beach with IC

Comment

I am an Episcopalian, but love learning about Buddhism. I'm glad this thread was bumped, too, b/c I've seen sand mandalas created, but had no idea there were mandalas on the Net you could print off and color yourself! Very cool.
                    Kim

Diagnosed August 2001

Current IC meds: Elmiron (since 2001), Levaquin (one pill after intercourse to prevent UTIs), Effexor (for depression & anxiety)

Past IC meds: Amitriptyline (Elavil), Hydroxyzine (Vistaril), Detrol LA, Lexapro (for depression & anxiety, but also helped my IC) (They all helped, but I was able to discontinue them.)

I've been virtually symptom free and able to eat & drink whatever I'd like for about 8 years now.

“We who lived in concentration camps can remember the men who walked through the huts comforting others, giving away their last piece of bread. They may have been few in number, but they offer sufficient proof that everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms -- to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way.” ~ Viktor Frankl

“You cannot control what happens to you, but you can control your attitude toward what happens to you, and in that, you will be mastering change rather than allowing it to master you.” ~ Brian Tracy

Comment

At my church, every spring we have a "flower" communion at a local park. Everyone brings flowers, branches, rocks, etc., and we spread a big white sheet on the ground and make a mandala out of the natural items we've brought. At the end of the service we gather up the sheet and dump the contents into a nearby river. Even the little children get involved - it really turns out beautiful with so many "artists" working on it!

Comment

I studied buddhism alittle in high school -trying to "find myself". I found it to be so peaceful. I'd love to learn more about it. I tried to read the Badah Gita (sp) once, hard to do on my own. I've done a lot of yoga and meditation too. Sometimes its so nice just to feel centered with yourself. Practiced Thia Chi also, its so relaxing and easy on the body. If anyone would like to explain Buddhism to me in depth, I'd be eager to hear. It's one religion that I feel really is peaceful and helps you to better yourself, just for the purpose of being at peace with yourself, and not so focused on what is sin and evil.

Comment

Working...
                        X