Blueberries and UTIs (infections)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blueberries and UTIs (infections)

Could we do a poll? Blueberrries are on the IC diet as being well tolerated by most ICers. I've also seen them mentioned as having the same properties as cranberries (but cranberries can't be eaten by most of us) - that is they may be preventative for Urinary Tract Infections. I eat blueberries every day along with a little yogurt (for the probiotic in it which also is supposedly anti UTI) and I'm guessing I'm avoiding UTI's by eating them. How many of IC people eat blueberries or the juice every day? Does it keep UTI's away? Anyone who gets UTIs and can tolerate blueberries - do you want to eat them everyday and see if you don't get UTI's? Anyone interested in testing this?
    I got IC in 1970! I was not diagnosed until 1991. I've tried many drugs and therapies but I tend to only resort to drugs when in a flare because when I am not in a flare (from being good on diet), I suffer only from small bladder volume (like about 7 ozs.) and peeing will relieve the discomfort. When I am feeling relatively normal, I say to myself I am glad I am not on a drug. When I am in a flare, I say, why am I not on a drug! I've recently have been trying to solve my connective issue problems in general. I look to diet and herbs mostly unless it gets really bad. I still think there is great hope for each individual finding a path to healing and there are many.

I don't eat or drink them every day, but I do if I worry that I may get a UTI. I drank lots of blueberry juice after my recent urodynamics test. I don't usually get UTIs anymore, though. I had almost a chronic UTI from the age of 15-19. Then I got about one a year from 19-23, then none from 23 onwards, even though I was diagnosed with IC a week before I turned 25. So I don't know if I can be part of your experiment!
    30 year old Mother, Midwife, Birth Doula, Herbalist, and Massage Therapist with sudden onset of IC approx. 2/16/05 (after a PAP smear and routine gynecological exam). I tried a HUGE list of natural and alternative treatments (including Cystoprotek, Desert Harvest Aloe, Aloe gel, Glucosamine/Chondroitin, L-Argenine, Quercitin/Bromelain, Marshmallow Root...etc) for the first 9 months of having IC, without much relief, until I finally researched and started Elmiron.

My experience:
    ~Previously took Elmiron 100mg three times a day
    (9/29/05-7/06)
    ~Experimented with dosage (1-2 Elmiron a day recapped into a plain gelcap) and did well with occasional mild flares. (7/06-9/09)
    ~Stopped all together at the 1 year mark (9/29/06) for 10 days. Still felt good, with low-level symptoms.
    ~Decided to go back on it (10/16/06) to see if another year on it will bring me into full (zero symptoms) remission. Currently taking 1-2 pills a day, recapped into a plain gelcap.
    ~ 6/08...Tried to go off Elmiron again, had huge flare at the 3 week mark, went back on 100mg once a day for maintenance.
    -I went off Elmiron for 2 months due to pregnancy and had a complete relapse of IC symptoms to pre-diagnosis levels of pain/frequency. I then went back on Elmiron at 10-12 weeks, but was unable to take it further due to severe morning sickness. The 2nd/3rd trimesters were MUCH better IC-wise, and postpartum is the best I have felt in years. I am no longer on Elmiron for now.
    -20 month postpartum remission from 4/17/09 to 12/10/10.
    -Out of remission after a pap smear on 12/10/10. Pap smears are obviously the main IC trigger for me. Currently trying to cope with loss of the remission.

Also doing:
    ~Sugar-free/gluten free and strict IC diet (With an emphasis on organic, alkaline and whole foods)
    ~Prenatal DHA/Fish oil supplement
    ~Vitamin D supplement
    ~Culturelle probiotic

Comment

I am always eating blueberries it doesn't hurt my ic . But it doesn't stop me from getting uti's eithier.

Comment

I eat a lot of blueberries, but not every day. I can't eat that much yogurt without irritation --- I can eat it a couple of times a week, however.

Donna
        Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
        Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
        Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
        [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

I wish I could eat yogurt....
          Jealous!
          30 year old Mother, Midwife, Birth Doula, Herbalist, and Massage Therapist with sudden onset of IC approx. 2/16/05 (after a PAP smear and routine gynecological exam). I tried a HUGE list of natural and alternative treatments (including Cystoprotek, Desert Harvest Aloe, Aloe gel, Glucosamine/Chondroitin, L-Argenine, Quercitin/Bromelain, Marshmallow Root...etc) for the first 9 months of having IC, without much relief, until I finally researched and started Elmiron.

My experience:
          (9/29/05-7/06)
          ~Experimented with dosage (1-2 Elmiron a day recapped into a plain gelcap) and did well with occasional mild flares. (7/06-9/09)
          ~Stopped all together at the 1 year mark (9/29/06) for 10 days. Still felt good, with low-level symptoms.
          ~Decided to go back on it (10/16/06) to see if another year on it will bring me into full (zero symptoms) remission. Currently taking 1-2 pills a day, recapped into a plain gelcap.
          ~ 6/08...Tried to go off Elmiron again, had huge flare at the 3 week mark, went back on 100mg once a day for maintenance.
          -I went off Elmiron for 2 months due to pregnancy and had a complete relapse of IC symptoms to pre-diagnosis levels of pain/frequency. I then went back on Elmiron at 10-12 weeks, but was unable to take it further due to severe morning sickness. The 2nd/3rd trimesters were MUCH better IC-wise, and postpartum is the best I have felt in years. I am no longer on Elmiron for now.
          -Out of remission after a pap smear on 12/10/10. Pap smears are obviously the main IC trigger for me. Currently trying to cope with loss of the remission.

Also doing:
          ~Sugar-free/gluten free and strict IC diet (With an emphasis on organic, alkaline and whole foods)
          ~Vitamin D supplement
          ~Culturelle probiotic

Comment

I eat blueberries every day and drink blueberry juice when I can. liz

Comment

Liznazz - Good! Did you ever get UTI's and since you've been eating/drinking blueberries have you stayed free of infections? For how long? It would take a lot of us to answer this poll to get a consensus.
              I got IC in 1970! I was not diagnosed until 1991. I've tried many drugs and therapies but I tend to only resort to drugs when in a flare because when I am not in a flare (from being good on diet), I suffer only from small bladder volume (like about 7 ozs.) and peeing will relieve the discomfort. When I am feeling relatively normal, I say to myself I am glad I am not on a drug. When I am in a flare, I say, why am I not on a drug! I've recently have been trying to solve my connective issue problems in general. I look to diet and herbs mostly unless it gets really bad. I still think there is great hope for each individual finding a path to healing and there are many.

Comment

EmilyRose - I'm sorry you get infections despite eating blueberries. Since I have so many frozen blueberries in my freezer I am going to try and eat some every day. I guess I am lucky that I can tolerate some yogurt.

Comment

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that yes, it has helped. When I was first diagnosed with IC, I was getting a UTI every 3-4 months. I haven't had one for almost a year now (knock on wood). I have also been on elmiron and atarax for the same duration. My uro says to keep on with the blueberries. It certainly can't hurt. I have read it has the same properties as cranberries in preventing UTI's. So I will say that it has helped me. liz

Comment

Donna, purpleviolet. Can you tell me, please, what kind of yogurt do you eat?
                    Thank you!
                    I wish you the best!
                    Oxana.

Comment

I drink blueberry juice several times a week, diluted 1/3 blueberry to 2/3 cup water.
                      But, I've only had 1 UTI since I was five years old (I'm 37 now), so I don't know if it makes a difference for me on that issue. I can say though, that several times I've started to flare, blueberry juice has stopped the flare.
                      Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
                      I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
                      ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
                      Source - Pinterest
                      "

Current treatments:
                      -IC diet
                      -Elavil 50mg at night
                      -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
                      -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
                      -Pyridium if needed,
                      -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
                      -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
                      -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
                      -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
                      -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
                      -Managing stress= VERY important!
                      -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Comment

to Massagedoula, I wonder If your lactose intolerant not getting to eat yogert, yogert doesnt bother my bladder, but it's dairy effects my sinus, I'm been kinda of concerned about the cranberry thing because I do get uti's and was drinking alot to prevent them. I'm going to make some of you get humored on this one, I have porcelain crowns on my teeth, :biglaugh : my dentist said you want to stay away from blueberries because they stain the crowns, . Nothing like having porcelain in your mouth too. I guess I'm the toilet queen. In response about blueberrie preventing uti's, I don't know but I'm trying D mannose to coat the bladder to keep e-coli infections away. I got it from a naturopathic dr.

Comment

I can't eat yogurt because it is too acidic and fermented for me to handle. It makes me flare. If you have IC, one of the worst, most acidic things to eat/drink is cranberry. Every once in a while someone can handle it, like ICLori, but the majority of us cannot. D-mannose is a better bet, because it does the same thing as cranderry and does not hurt our bladders.

My experience:
                          (9/29/05-7/06)

Also doing:
                          ~Vitamin D supplement
                          ~Culturelle probiotic

Comment

I like to get the most natural yogurts (organic) that have the most kinds of cultures in them. I usually get just plain lowfat. The 2 brands I like are Trader Joes and Nancy's. Besides mannose which is in blueberries and cranberries I believe, there are other components (anthrocyanins sp? - the blue stuff) that supposedly help with UTIs. I have a vague memory of yogurt helping with UTs, but I have to research that. Maybe it helps keep the bacteria in the area in check. I don't think any of these things can stop a raging infection in a IC bladder.
                            Last edited by purpleviolet; 10-27-2005, 01:15 PM. Reason: sp

Comment

Working...
                            X