Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• purpleviolet
    replied
    I like to get the most natural yogurts (organic) that have the most kinds of cultures in them. I usually get just plain lowfat. The 2 brands I like are Trader Joes and Nancy's. Besides mannose which is in blueberries and cranberries I believe, there are other components (anthrocyanins sp? - the blue stuff) that supposedly help with UTIs. I have a vague memory of yogurt helping with UTs, but I have to research that. Maybe it helps keep the bacteria in the area in check. I don't think any of these things can stop a raging infection in a IC bladder.
    Last edited by purpleviolet; 10-27-2005, 01:15 PM. Reason: sp

Leave a comment:

• massagedoula
    replied
    I can't eat yogurt because it is too acidic and fermented for me to handle. It makes me flare. If you have IC, one of the worst, most acidic things to eat/drink is cranberry. Every once in a while someone can handle it, like ICLori, but the majority of us cannot. D-mannose is a better bet, because it does the same thing as cranderry and does not hurt our bladders.

Leave a comment:

• Lisa Person
    replied
    to Massagedoula, I wonder If your lactose intolerant not getting to eat yogert, yogert doesnt bother my bladder, but it's dairy effects my sinus, I'm been kinda of concerned about the cranberry thing because I do get uti's and was drinking alot to prevent them. I'm going to make some of you get humored on this one, I have porcelain crowns on my teeth, :biglaugh : my dentist said you want to stay away from blueberries because they stain the crowns, . Nothing like having porcelain in your mouth too. I guess I'm the toilet queen. In response about blueberrie preventing uti's, I don't know but I'm trying D mannose to coat the bladder to keep e-coli infections away. I got it from a naturopathic dr.

Leave a comment:

• kadi
    replied
    I drink blueberry juice several times a week, diluted 1/3 blueberry to 2/3 cup water.
    But, I've only had 1 UTI since I was five years old (I'm 37 now), so I don't know if it makes a difference for me on that issue. I can say though, that several times I've started to flare, blueberry juice has stopped the flare.

Leave a comment:

• Oxana
    replied
    Donna, purpleviolet. Can you tell me, please, what kind of yogurt do you eat?
    Thank you!

Leave a comment:

• liznazz
    replied
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that yes, it has helped. When I was first diagnosed with IC, I was getting a UTI every 3-4 months. I haven't had one for almost a year now (knock on wood). I have also been on elmiron and atarax for the same duration. My uro says to keep on with the blueberries. It certainly can't hurt. I have read it has the same properties as cranberries in preventing UTI's. So I will say that it has helped me. liz

Leave a comment:

• purpleviolet
    replied
    EmilyRose - I'm sorry you get infections despite eating blueberries. Since I have so many frozen blueberries in my freezer I am going to try and eat some every day. I guess I am lucky that I can tolerate some yogurt.

Leave a comment:

• purpleviolet
    replied
    Liznazz - Good! Did you ever get UTI's and since you've been eating/drinking blueberries have you stayed free of infections? For how long? It would take a lot of us to answer this poll to get a consensus.

Leave a comment:

• liznazz
    replied
    I eat blueberries every day and drink blueberry juice when I can. liz

Leave a comment:

• massagedoula
    replied
    I wish I could eat yogurt....
    Jealous!

Leave a comment:

• ICNDonna
    replied
    I eat a lot of blueberries, but not every day. I can't eat that much yogurt without irritation --- I can eat it a couple of times a week, however.

Donna

Leave a comment:

• emilyrose197377
    replied
    I am always eating blueberries it doesn't hurt my ic . But it doesn't stop me from getting uti's eithier.

Leave a comment:

• massagedoula
    replied
    I don't eat or drink them every day, but I do if I worry that I may get a UTI. I drank lots of blueberry juice after my recent urodynamics test. I don't usually get UTIs anymore, though. I had almost a chronic UTI from the age of 15-19. Then I got about one a year from 19-23, then none from 23 onwards, even though I was diagnosed with IC a week before I turned 25. So I don't know if I can be part of your experiment!

Leave a comment:

• purpleviolet
    started a topic Blueberries and UTIs (infections)

Blueberries and UTIs (infections)

Could we do a poll? Blueberrries are on the IC diet as being well tolerated by most ICers. I've also seen them mentioned as having the same properties as cranberries (but cranberries can't be eaten by most of us) - that is they may be preventative for Urinary Tract Infections. I eat blueberries every day along with a little yogurt (for the probiotic in it which also is supposedly anti UTI) and I'm guessing I'm avoiding UTI's by eating them. How many of IC people eat blueberries or the juice every day? Does it keep UTI's away? Anyone who gets UTIs and can tolerate blueberries - do you want to eat them everyday and see if you don't get UTI's? Anyone interested in testing this?
Working...
X