What to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do?

I was watching Oprah today. They had all the "healthy" foods on, and alas, most of them were IC no-nos.

What do you do to consume healthy foods? How do we get the vitamin C and other vitamins that we need? The doctor said to eat REAL fruit and vegatables, but how can we????
    Ellie

There are many vegetables that are IC friendly. And pears and blueberries are safe for most ICers. There's a low acid orange juice on the market that some of us can tolerate in small amounts. I don't watch Oprah so I don't know what she recommends as healthy foods.

Hugs,
    Donna
    Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
    Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Hi there,
      I eat a lot of broccoli - it contains vitamin C. I also choose my lettuce carefully-romaine has tons more nutrients than iceberg! I eat a pear &/or blueberries every day. I can eat bananas & raisins in small quantities, so I'll eat a half banana with cereal.

I try to load up my salad with stuff - grated carrots, steamed chilled broccoli, kidney & garbanzo beans (low salt & I rinse them too), hard boiled egg, cottage cheese. shredded chicken. I can get away with a 1/2 tsp of Marie's ranch dressing if I take prelief & include it as part of a large salad/meal.

(I also love the Carolina Tarragon carrots in the IC cookbook - but I reduce the amount of butter)

Hope that gives you a few ideas.
      Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
      I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
      ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
      Source - Pinterest
      "

Current treatments:
      -IC diet
      -Elavil 50mg at night
      -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
      -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
      -Pyridium if needed,
      -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
      -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
      -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
      -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
      -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
      -Managing stress= VERY important!
      -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Comment

Hi there,
        I eat a lot of broccoli - it contains vitamin C. I also choose my lettuce carefully-romaine has tons more nutrients than iceberg! I eat a pear &/or blueberries every day. I can eat bananas & raisins in small quantities, so I'll eat a half banana with cereal.

I try to load up my salad with stuff - grated carrots, steamed chilled broccoli, kidney & garbanzo beans (low salt & I rinse them too), hard boiled egg, cottage cheese. shredded chicken. I can get away with a 1/2 tsp of Marie's ranch dressing if I take prelief & include it as part of a large salad/meal.

(I also love the Carolina Tarragon carrots in the IC cookbook - but I reduce the amount of butter)

Hope that gives you a few ideas.
        Kadi

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
        Source - Pinterest
        "

Current treatments:
        -IC diet
        -Elavil 50mg at night
        -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
        -Pyridium if needed,
        -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
        -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed

Comment

i'm not to king on taking pills because i have so much medicine but the doctor told me i could try some vitam pills. but check with your doctor before doing this to make sure it want hurt you with the medicine you are already taking.
          Medicine taken daily or as needed:
          1. Heaprin and Marcaine rescue installment 1 to 3x daily as needed.
          2. MS.Cotin 100mg 3x daily
          3. MSIR 30mg 1 or 2 every 4-6hrs as needed for breakthrew pain.
          4. Fentanyl 100 mg Change every 48hrs.
          5. Gentamicin 80mg install after each rescue treatment
          5 Leviquin 500mg self start as needed.
          6. Klonopin 1 or 2 daily as needed.
          7. Prosed/DS as 1 every 6hrs as needed.

I have IC, but IC doesn't have me anymore!

Comment

Thanks for all the replies everyone! I do eat veggies every day, but I've found that most fruit bothers me, including blueberries. And I thought that cooking killed Vitamin C......but I guess that I can eat raw veggies in a salad.
            Ellie

Comment

Kadi: are you lucky....you can tolerate some bananas..I can't eat any. Sets my tummy on fire first then spasms in my bladder and hips. ( I sure do crave them though)

I have no probs with veggies except It's a chore to eat them. (All that chopping and sautee'ing and stuff) Plus...they just don't thrill me a whole bunch. I love blueberries, Mangos are ok too, for me. grapes in very small moderation and , I think that about does it.

See ya...
              I.C. DX'd following my "second hysterectomy" (the remaining ovary, that kept bursting and bleeding 2 years after my hyster/right oompherectomy, was removed in 2003. I was a special ed teacher. I am now very lost, and feeling rather hopeless in my life.

Medications I CURRENTLY take:
              90 mgs Ms contin (45 mgs Am/PM)
              Percocet as needed
              Topomax 100mg day
              Ambien 10 mg bed
              desipramine 25 mgs

If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
              Albert Einstein

Comment

how about checking out the ic cookbook that would give you some great ideas. hope this helps. grouphug
                Medicine taken daily or as needed:
                1. Heaprin and Marcaine rescue installment 1 to 3x daily as needed.
                2. MS.Cotin 100mg 3x daily
                3. MSIR 30mg 1 or 2 every 4-6hrs as needed for breakthrew pain.
                4. Fentanyl 100 mg Change every 48hrs.
                5. Gentamicin 80mg install after each rescue treatment
                5 Leviquin 500mg self start as needed.
                6. Klonopin 1 or 2 daily as needed.
                7. Prosed/DS as 1 every 6hrs as needed.

I have IC, but IC doesn't have me anymore!

Comment

I have the IC cookbook...its very good especially with suggestions in terms of food groups, and education. What would be nice is to add a "food for fatigue" section. Like what to prepare when we are too damn tired to cook a meal. I scrounge the fridge only to shut the door in frustration and crawl back into bed sometimes. My father in law lives with us, he offers to make me something but it is usually frightening..I;ve tried to teach him to saute veggies but he's from the old school...you gotta cook the hell outta 'em...so they are nice and soggy. I appreciate his efforts but .....

I dunno Dixie...whadddya think..eh?
                  I.C. DX'd following my "second hysterectomy" (the remaining ovary, that kept bursting and bleeding 2 years after my hyster/right oompherectomy, was removed in 2003. I was a special ed teacher. I am now very lost, and feeling rather hopeless in my life.

Medications I CURRENTLY take:
                  90 mgs Ms contin (45 mgs Am/PM)
                  Percocet as needed
                  Topomax 100mg day
                  Ambien 10 mg bed
                  desipramine 25 mgs

If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
                  Albert Einstein

Comment

I too find it troublesome to be preparing food all the time so when I or my husband cook we tend to do large amounts of food (potatoes, rice, pasta, etc.) that we can pull out of the fridge to eat with salad vegetables. With just the two of us we can put out a nice meal in no time. This probably wouldn't work as well if you had children to feed. I make lots of pudding too which we enjoy.

Comment

There are 2 kitchen items that I rely on for quick, effortless and nutritious hot meals. One is a Foreman grill. In minutes I can grill chicken, beef, fish or veggies. The other is a microwave vegetable steamer. It only takes a couple of minutes to lightly steam a healthy plate of fresh veggies. If in a rush I can eat these as they are or, if I am more energetic and have a few minutes, can use these items for any number of casseroles and other dishes (grilled chicken and brocolli alfredo, beef and noodles, chicken and rice casseroles, etc).

I do make my own chicken, beef and vegetable stocks using ingredients I tolerate and freeze them in small quantities. All I have to do is pop them out of the freezer and use them for making quick sauces, in casseroles, soups or stews.

Also, I agree, cooking larger quantities when you are up to it and freezing leftovers provides you with fast microwave meals for the not-so-good or super busy days.
                      Annie

IC
                      Ulcerative Colitis and IBS
                      Pelvic Floor Dysfunction

Comment

Favorite meals when I'm exhausted are:

Leftover rice with butter & salt and a scrambled egg cooked & then mixed in. (Although my best friend insists a fried egg is better b/c she likes the runny yolk mixed in the egg. hey, whatever works! )

Bag salad with kidney beans, garbanzo beans, small container of cottage cheese. (you can mix dill in cottage cheese for flavor). Then I feel virtuous because of what a healthy lowfat meal it is (instead of the takeout I used to get when tired.)

I buy fresh baked baguettes, cut them up & store them in freezer for quick reheat. (I have trouble with most loaf breads - due to acid preservatives. Am now a big label reader).

I also have been known to eat cereal with almonds & blueberries for dinner. (I buy a shredded wheat with no BHT in package & no additives - just wheat). Then I curl up on the sofa with it & watch TVLand or something equally benign.

Oh, yeah, oatmeal is 2 minutes in the microwave & I take a hot shower while waiting.

My best strategy though is that I cook on Sundays for two-three days. And double any recipes I can & freeze them...

Hope those ideas are helpful
                        Kadi

Source - Pinterest
                        "

Current treatments:
                        -IC diet
                        -Elavil 50mg at night
                        -Pyridium if needed,

Comment

Working...
                        X