benecol???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• benecol???

Has anyone tried benecol spread? I think that's the name. I need to get my cholesterol down and can't seem to eat oats, grape juice, red wine. Anyone been flared on that?

Thanks, and happy new year!
    Hope
    Hope

Hope, other things besides oats have the soluble fiber that helps to lower the cholesterol. You may be able to eat some legumes, some fruit, and even try psyllium powder. The kind of psyllium powder that I use is called "colon care" from GNC. I mix it in water and glug it down. It also helps with constipation.

I don't know if you can use that stuff or not....but just a suggestion!

Julie
    Julie Beyer, MA, RDN
    IC Dietitian, Patient Advocate, Speaker, & Author

Did you know that up to 94% of interstitial cystitis patients find some symptom relief when they change their diet, and that dietary modification is recommended as a first line treatment for IC? Check out the IC Food List to get started!

Do you need a little more help understanding the IC Diet? Schedule a phone or video coaching session through the ICN Store today.

You can also learn more while supporting the ICN message boards by clicking on these book covers and buying the Confident Choices books from the ICN Store:

........ ........

Other IC Diet Resources:

IC Diet Webinar
    IC Diet Website
    For Health Professionals: Continuing Education About Interstitial Cystitis and Diet
    Free IC Diet Booklet: What Can I Eat?
    Confident Choices IC Diet Blog
    IC Diet Newsletter

*Let's Connect!*

Comment

Hi Hope!!

I, like you, have tried MANY things for my cholesterol. I was diagnosed with high cholesterol at the age of 15, wayyy before IC. I was sent to pediactric cardiologists, the whole nine yards. It was high for years, and although my doctors knew it was genetic (familial hyperlipedemia, on my dads side) but mine was sooooo high it was higher than my fathers usually was. I was not overweight, and I was an active kid. I had to have blood tests done every six months. At 15 years old my cholesterol was 260, and nothing I did could keep it down. I was even a vegetarian, I dont eat meat, I dont eat fast food....it was horrible. At 19 my cholesterol hit an all time high of 323. College food did a number on me, and my doctor put me on lipitor. Only days after I started it, i began to have muscle aches and pains. I went and had liver tests and muscle tests done-- the doctor said that I could stay on the medication, that it wasnt really affecting my system. I was in pain though, and I stopped, and never wanted to take anything like that again.

Since then, like you, I have tried EVERYTHING. High in fiber, high grain. I used benecol, but the amount you have to eat for it to be therapeutic is a large amount....and I didnt like the taste of the butter all that much. (And there were so many chemicals in it, for my IC I prefer to go with light all natural butter.) I tried a powder made from grapefruit pectin...which worked very well, and my pediatrician was very pleased, but it tasted like crap and after a month I didnt have it in me to take the stuff anymore. But, luckily, I DID find something that worked INCREDIBLY well for me. The active ingrediant is called Reducol. It did not bother my IC at all. You are supposed to take two pills, twice a day, and I took two pills in the evening only, as I have to take other medication in the morning on an empty stomach. I cant EVEN tell you, after one month, my cholesterol was back down to 232, the best its been in YEARS. I wasnt even taking a full dose!! My doctor was happy, but not COMPLETELY happy, he wanted it lower. So he suggested Niacin, and gave me the type of niacin that does not cause facial flushing (as some niacin can if it is absorbed too fast.) Inositol Hexanicotinate. I have yet to try that.

The reason I have yet to try that is because of a new discovery. High cholesterol, when atypical, as it was in my case (extremely high despite weight, diet, and exersize) is often clinically significant of a thyroid problem. When I was 15 and I had high cholesterol, the first thing they did was test my thyroid, and I had cholesterol labs and thyroid labs every 6 months. Everything was always fine. Then, I met my now Primary care doc. He took one look at my history and my numbers, he decided I was boarderline hypothyroid. I had ALL the symptoms--dry dry skin, horrible constipation, fatigue, weight gain, hair loss.....and of course the cholesterol numbers. My doctor started me on a very low dose of Armour thyroid medication, and SURPRISE! My first cholesterol test after treatment with 3 months of thyroid medication was ******207!!******* For me, that is ABSOLUTELY amazing.....and the clinical evidence to me is MUCH more indicative of a thyroid problem than the thyroid labs that have been done for years.

Anyway, I hope this gives you some points to ponder. GOod luck.....I know the battle you are having. Let us know how you do!!

And, Julie is right about fiber!
      Big big hugs,
      Rachel
      @[email protected]
      "Well the Secret O'Life is enjoying the passage of time." ~James Taylor

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. My thyroid functioning is fine, but that is an amazing story and I am so glad you finally figured it out! I didn't know that any soluable fiber works. Guess I fell for the Cheerios commercial! Does that colon care stuff flare ibs. I have mixed type ibs -- used to be just constipation, but now I get diarrhea also. Ooh, what fun. Too much fiber gets me. Eggs too.

Oh what a lovely subject. :o Thanks again.
        Hope
        Hope

Comment

Hi! One of my recent labs showed that my cholesterol was borderline high. I tried benecol. I'm not sure if it effected my symptoms or not, but I now use "Take control light" I prefer the taste and it melts. Benecol didn't seem to melt too well. I don't use it that often - but if I'm going to use butter, that's what I use. I have no idea if it effects my symptoms or not.

I hope that helps a little bit.
          Jen
          I speak of my personal experience only to provide support to others who have IC. I am not offering professional advice in any way. All patients are different and may respond differently to various remedies and medical treatments. These posts are based on my personal experience and are not meant to be viewed as medical advice nor do they replace the proper evaluation and treatment by a medical professional or healthcare provider. Please seek out treatment and medical advice from your doctor and medical team.

Comment

Try Niacin!! Or Reducol!! Both are proven to work wink !!

Or, go to a accupuncturist/chinese herbologist and take chinese red yeast rice!

Hugs,

Rachel
            @[email protected]

Comment

Hi Hope,
              Try to eat hot cereal from barley. I have read that it's loaded with beta-glucan, a type of soluble fiber that forms a gel in the small intestine. Cholesterol in your body binds to this gel, which is then excreted from the body.
              The book is New Foods for the Healing (PREVENTION'S). Try to find rolled barley and make hot cereal. 1 cup of rolled barley to 3 cups(1 1/2 cups) water. Cook until barley absorb almost all water. You can add a little salt, butter and honey (all of this are optional). It tastes good. Plus barley is high in both selenium and vitamin E. I add sometimes frozen blueberries to this cereal.
              Olga

Comment

Thanks Olga, I will try that. Rachel-is that niacin the vitamin? Does it flare you? I will also look for that take control light, thanks.

Hope
                Hope

Comment

my cholestral went from 206 to 252. The dr. put me on Zetia and in 3 months it was down 10 176. It works great.
                  Pam

Comment

Hi Hope,
                    I try to have this Rolled Barley cereal a few times per week and so far it is not causing any pain. Oat bran cereal, plain oat cereal and wheat cereals caused a lot of pain. I gave up on them. I hope that it will work for you and will not cause flare ups.
                    Olga

Comment

Hi Hope! Niacin is the vitamin. I know you didn't ask me to clarify this for you but since I know a little about it, I thought I'd share what i know. I would check with your doctor before taking it - especially in high doses because i think it can be damaging, but on the otherhand it can work quite well. I think under a doctor's supervision it works well. My husband is on niacin and it has lowered his cholesterol quite a bit - which is encouraging. Talk to your doctor and see what he says.
                      I hope this info helps.
                      Take care and good luck.
                      Jen
                      I speak of my personal experience only to provide support to others who have IC. I am not offering professional advice in any way. All patients are different and may respond differently to various remedies and medical treatments. These posts are based on my personal experience and are not meant to be viewed as medical advice nor do they replace the proper evaluation and treatment by a medical professional or healthcare provider. Please seek out treatment and medical advice from your doctor and medical team.

Comment

Wow, what great resources for info. Where would I be without this site? kissing

Sunshine - what is zetia?

Hope
                        Hope

Comment

Yup, my doctor has told me to take niacin. The insotol hexa~~~ the molecule that I metioned above is the one my doctor reccomended because it doesnt cause as many side effects. But I still take it under his direction!!

Hope this helps!
                          Rachel
                          @[email protected]

Comment

Working...
                          X