For new patients, Safeway shopping list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For new patients, Safeway shopping list

(I am giving the IC Spirit Award to Kadi for this extremely helpful post outlining things in the grocery store that are likely IC-safe. The IC Diet can be very confusing to newbies, and even some who've had IC a while, and this post makes it easier to find safe foods. This took a lot of time and effort to put together, and Kadi has shown real empathy for her fellow ICers by putting it together and posting it for all of us. --Sarojini)

Hi all,
    Just thought I would put this out here as another patient asked for this today. When I first got sick & went on the diet, I remember being utterly exhausted & nearly in tears standing in the grocery aisles at Safeway, trying to read labels & realizing I could eat maybe only 5% of what I used to...

By trial & error (and the great list of foods Jill has for us, look under "Diet & IC" in the Patient Handbook linked at the top of this page), I figured it out and when my mom got IC a year & a half later, I gave my dad this list to help him shop for her.

Not every IC patient can tolerate 100% the same foods, but my IC is very diet sensitive, so hopefully what's on here will be helpful to others...

Cheers,
    Kadi

Safeway Grocery List

Produce
    Lettuce
    Red bell peppers
    Pears (all types)
    Dates
    Raisins (I'm ok with them, some IC patients are not)
    Blueberries
    Corn
    Broccoli
    Cauliflower
    Zucchini
    Potatoes (all types, including sweet potatoes & yams)
    Carrots
    Marie's Lite Creamy Ranch dressing (I use less than a teaspoon on the side of the salad, dip my fork into it before each bite of salad, & take Prelief with it)

Fresh carrot juice (I mix this with the pear juice & lots of ice)

Meats
    The main thing here is to make sure the meat has not been injected with saline solution, broth, or lemon juice (or anything else for that matter!)
    Chicken
    Pork
    Ground beef (93% lean)
    Steaks

Deli Counter
    Safeway Dinner Roast Turkey
    Primo Taglio Roast Beef

Cracker/Cookie aisle
    Original Triscuits
    Original Wheat Thins
    Lund---- (can't remember how it's spelled) Brown Rice Cakes (plain)
    Original Pringles
    Original Fritos
    Classic Lays potato chips
    Safeway Organics Microwave Popcorn (no flavors, just the plain one)
    Pepperidge Farms Chessmen cookies
    Nilla Wafers
    Teddy Grahams (cinnamon or honey flavor)--I can't eat these, but my mom who has IC can.
    Nabisco Original Premium Saltines

Dairy
    Nonfat milk
    Knudsen cottage cheese (single serving containers only, the bigger containers sometimes have preservative)
    Original Philly cream cheese--in the block, not tub (tub has acidic preservatives)
    Tillamook or Kraft Mozzarella Cheese (Tillamook for slices, Kraft for shredded)
    String Cheese (can't remember brand)
    Land o Lakes Butter with Canola spread (be sure to get the one with the red top)
    Eggland's Best eggs (have extra omega's in them, a plus)
    Some IC patients can tolerate yobaby vanilla yogurt (wish I was one of them)
    Kozy Shak Rice or Tapioca puddings

Cereals & Mixes
    Quaker oats
    Bisquick (get some pure 100% maple syrup to go with the pancakes!)
    Jiffy corn muffin mix
    Honey

Baked Goods
    I buy only the things in the special shelves for local bakeries that do not use preservatives or go to Trader Joe's!

Canned
    Valley Fresh Premium Chunk White Chicken in Water
    Del Monte Lite Pear Halves
    Rice Dream Vanilla Classic rice milk

Freezer
    Frozen green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, corn
    Dreyers Vanilla ice cream (slow churned/less fat)
    Dreyers Caramel Swirl ice cream (slow churned)

Other
    Werther's Original Hard Candies
    PepOMint Lifesavers
    Kit Kat White Chocolate

Teas & Coffees
    Some IC patients are best off with just plain hot water & honey for a hot drink, but for those that can tolerate it, these are mild
    Plain peppermint tea
    Plain chamomile tea
    Last edited by Sarojini; 03-09-2007, 10:29 AM.
    Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
    I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
    Source - Pinterest
    "

Current treatments:
    -IC diet
    -Elavil 50mg at night
    -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
    -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
    -Pyridium if needed,
    -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
    -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
    -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
    -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
    -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
    -Managing stress= VERY important!
    -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Safeway Diet

Hi, my name is Judy and I just wanted to thank you for you "Safeway" list of foods. Safeway is one of my favorite stores but I do have to travel about 25 miles to get to one. Nevertheless, it's worth it when I can get just what I need and want. Thanks for the tips. Judy Gee

Comment

This is a great list and I think it's transferrable to just about any store. I have to buy for kids and for a bf who don't have IC and it's so hard to only think of ME when I go shopping. With this list I can make my own shelf in the pantry for this kind of stuff, and tell everyone else they can have the entire rest of the kitchen! Even though I've had IC for years now, this is a HUGE help to me!

Thanks!!!!!
      *IC-- Summer 2004; PFD--October 2005
      *Fibro--Fall 2000; CFS-- Fall 2000
      *MPS--Fall 2000; Crohn's disease-- 1997*IBS,GERD, *Migraines, hypothyroidism, GYN problems *Degenerative Disc Disease/scoliosis

Total Abdominal Hysterectomy--adenomyosis--9\08

04/17/09 Crohn's disease almost killed me with a combo of extreme constipation from pain medications. My bowel ruptured, I almost died from peritonitis and spent several days in the ICU then more in a private room on the floor. If you have any questions about severe constipation from pain meds please don't hesitate to send me a message.

Comment

diet

Thanks so much for the list. What about graham crackers?
        jlynn

Comment

My mom who has IC can eat the regular grocery store brand. For me (I'm more diet sensitive), I get some at the health food store with no preservatives. The brand has the word, "morning" in it, but I can't remember it exactly. I've not bought any in awhile, because I eat too many at once.

Sorry, wish I could be more help
          Kadi

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
          Source - Pinterest
          "

Current treatments:
          -IC diet
          -Elavil 50mg at night
          -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
          -Pyridium if needed,
          -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
          -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed

Comment

Kadi,
            So nice of you to take the time to give us this list! It's great for any store, I'm sure, and new IC patients as well as "veterans." Thanks!!

~Claudia

"A heart is not judged by how much you love; but by how much you are loved by others."
            ~ The Wizard of Oz

"If I ever go looking for my heart's desire again, I won't look any further than my own
            back yard. Because if it isn't there, I never really lost it to begin with!" ~ Dorothy

Comment

Safeway Shopping List

Thanks for the shopping list. Have you ever tried Jicama?

Comment

ic grocery list

Thank you for this helpful grocery list
                Linda

Comment

I've not tried jicama, but I'd love to hear from other IC-ers who have tried it. It would add a nice crunch to a salad
                  Kadi

Source - Pinterest
                  "

Current treatments:
                  -IC diet
                  -Elavil 50mg at night
                  -Pyridium if needed,

Comment

that's a great idea Kadi, awesome!
                    current meds:
                    cytotec 200mcg twice daily
                    toprol
                    allegra

ONLY 3 MEDICATIONS!!! YAY! Would never have dreamed this is possible

dx: hashimoto's thyroiditis 1998
                    dx: interstitial cystitis via cystoscopy with hydrodistention and biopsy 2003
                    dx: endometriosis 2003
                    dx: innapropriate sinus tacchicardia 2005

meds tried but failed:
                    elavil (6months)- severe tachycardia
                    elmiron (1yr6mo.)- no improvement, nausea, hair loss, stomach ulcers
                    a bunch of others

Me and my best friend's baby (also my Godson!)

Comment

Congratulations, Kadi. You so deserve this honor and acknowledgment for your wonderful post. Well done!!!!!!!
                      Sharon

Shopping??? Did someone mention shopping? I'll get my hat... ;-)

Where I can be found most days.

Link to the ICN Patient Handbook:
                      http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Link to the IC Diet:
                      http://www.ic-network.com/diet/

IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

Working...
                      X