Yogurt and Oatmeal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yogurt and Oatmeal

Hi, I was wondering if plain yogurt ( with no additives or preservates ) is OK to eat without a chance of a flare.

I was also wondering about oatmeal. Is that ok to have too?

I am needing to find something to eat for breakfast that is high in protein, and that will keep my blood sugar level even, so that I don't poop out so much at work and then get anxious.

Can anyone let me know about these two foods?

Thank you!

Dee

I'm not so sure about the yogurt, but I've had oatmeal and didn't notice any significant problems. I have not tried the instant oatmeal -I just made the plain stuff and added a little brown sugar. I'm not sure about the additives in the instant oatmeal. I think the only way to know for sure is to try it out and see as we all respond differently.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes!
    Jennifer
    I speak of my personal experience only to provide support to others who have IC. I am not offering professional advice in any way. All patients are different and may respond differently to various remedies and medical treatments. These posts are based on my personal experience and are not meant to be viewed as medical advice nor do they replace the proper evaluation and treatment by a medical professional or healthcare provider. Please seek out treatment and medical advice from your doctor and medical team.

Comment

Hey guys...

Had my oatmeal this morning. I can do the instant kind, I just get all natural instant oatmeal...its out there! Try a health food store. I can even do most apple cinnamons, which is odd, because I can only eat gala apples.

As far as yogurt, I can do all natural vanilla or blueberry. I might be able to do plain, but I dont like the taste baby I will however say that I have heard many ICers say that they cannot tolerate yogurt.

Ooh..and another idea. Eggs are a great protien source for me.

Hope this helps some.
      If you are like me and you can tolerate most products without additives/preservatives, you might want to look at an all natural granola or protein bar for breakfast. I have found a brand that I can do in a rush....as long as I am well hydrated, because it does contain a decent amount of vitamins. But i have found that I think I actually need these vitamins wink

Hope this helps some.
      Big Hugs,
      Rachel
      @[email protected]
      "Well the Secret O'Life is enjoying the passage of time." ~James Taylor

Comment

Thank you so much for the ideas! You guys are so sweet!

I'll try the instant oatmeal and maybe add some sugar and cinnamon!

Oh, the granola bars sound YUMMY! So the granola doesn't bother you?

Well thank you both for your replies, I really appreciate it!

Do you ever have scrambled eggs? How do you do with those? I figure those would be a good source of protein in the morning, right?

Thank you again, I REALLY appreciate it!

Dee

Comment

Hi Dee,
          Scrambled eggs are fine for me, cooked with a tiny pat of butter in a nonstick pan. Sometimes I add a tiny bit (like a half tablespoon) of mozzarella cheese shredded. Also I can eat string cheese (great portable snack)! Almonds are easy to add to cereals for protein too. Oh, sometimes I eat scrambled eggs and have pinto beans on the side (I get some canned at the health food store that have just beans & a tiny bit of seaweed for salt)... If I get tortillas to go with that I need to get the Trader Joe's whole wheat ones (no preservatives!).

Hope you get ideas that sound tasty & workable to you
          Glad you asked the question, reminded me of a few things & got new ideas too!
          Kadi
          Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
          I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
          ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
          Source - Pinterest
          "

Current treatments:
          -IC diet
          -Elavil 50mg at night
          -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
          -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
          -Pyridium if needed,
          -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
          -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
          -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
          -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
          -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
          -Managing stress= VERY important!
          -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Comment

Nope! The all natural granola bars and I do just fine. I just stay away from the strawberry (etc) varieties.....I havent tried them, but Im scared to. I go for almond, vanilla, blueberry, cinnamon....even raisin once in awhile.

Eggs are a wonderful source of protien. I have recently been watching to be sure I have enough protein in my diet. I have found that often I dont. I make my three egg omlet once in awhile. I will either use all egg whites, or if I buy eggs from the health food store that are enriched with Omega3 fatty acids, I will use a yolk or two. (Omega fatty acids are good for inflammation.) I will make mine with a bit of mozzarella, or goat cheese, which I have found to be very mild (and lower in fat!) and I can tolerate it well.

And Kadi, one of my FAVORITE lunch/dinners is Trader Joe's whole wheat tortillas, pinto beans, some sauteed veggies and garlic, and a few spoonfulls of cheese. Mmmm. Pleanty of protien and veggies, and tasty too!

Great post guys. Thanks!
            Rachel
            @[email protected]
            "Well the Secret O'Life is enjoying the passage of time." ~James Taylor

Comment

WOW! Thanks for the YUMMY ideas guys! Now I"m hungry! lmao I never knew about the Omega 3 being an anti-inflammatory, thanks so much for telling me. SO I guess fish would be good for dinner then, huh? Oh, the tortillas sound sooooo good. Guess I'll have to make a trip to Trader Joes today! Thanks again for the ideas, I really needed to figure out what was healthy to eat...I've been living off sugar ( which I know is bad ) but it doesn't give me flares. But today will be the start of a healthy diet, so thank you so much! If you have any more ideas, let me know! bunny

Dee blink

Comment

I do just fine with any type of oatmeal, which is lucky because I just love it! My favorite is the steel cut, or the groats.

I don't eat much yogurt because I can feel a difference when I eat it. Not a flare exactly, but an increase in burning. Hope this helps.
                Ellie

Comment

Hi Dee, Rachel & others
                  At T.J's - I can eat: Whole Wheat & Regular "Truly handmade" tortillas, mozzarella cheese (comes in a block), fresh veggies, the thick slice loaf of Cinnamon bread, frozen blueberries, almond butter (haven't actually tried that brand, but since the only ingredient is almonds, that should be okay).

What veggies do you sautee to put in the tortillas?

(I usually eat them with pinto beans, mozzarella cheese, brown rice I cook with IC-safe chicken broth, & romaine lettuce. Pretty tasty, but always looking for a new recipe)

Thanks guys, I love getting ideas for what works!!
                  Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
                  I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
                  ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
                  Source - Pinterest
                  "

Current treatments:
                  -IC diet
                  -Elavil 50mg at night
                  -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
                  -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
                  -Pyridium if needed,
                  -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
                  -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
                  -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
                  -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
                  -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
                  -Managing stress= VERY important!
                  -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Comment

Working...
                  X