Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I the only one that has to eat potatoes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I the only one that has to eat potatoes?

I've been stopping by here a few times a year for the past 3 years. My version of the IC diet seems to be very strict. Everything is at least slightly bad for me except for starch. So russet potatoes, white rice, pancakes and biscuits is it as far as good foods go. If I want to eat anything else I have to eat it with russet potatoes or I'll get worse. So I have pancakes for breakfast, meat and french fries for lunch, meat and mashed potatoes for dinner, a biscuit for a nighttime snack. And each time I get up in the middle of the night I have some water and a couple of potato chips. This works as long as I don't have to take any medicine, get my period, go without food, get really ticked off, or other non food things. Non food issues keep getting in the way of my recovery, but I was better last summer and I'll be better this summer.

Anyway, long story short, noone else mentions having to eat starches with their other foods. But if I don't do it, I get worse. Is there anyone else out there that has to do the same thing or am I just lucky?

Just curious. Thanks.

Potatoes aren't a problem for me, but I don't need to eat them.

Donna
    Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
    Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

It seems lately all I can tolerate is starchy things..
      Hugs
      Ronda

ONE Second, ONE Bite, ONE Breath, ONE Pill, ONE Minute, ONE Teardrop, ONE Hour, ONE Sip.. ONE DAY! I will Prevail from this disease! IC Hoping for a Cure!

Link to Patient Handbook:
      http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Diet Reference Sheet:
      http://www.ic-network.com/diet/icndi...tsheet0909.pdf

Meds For IC: Lyrica-25mg Glucosamine-500 MSM-500mg, Prosed Ds -When Flaring

Other Meds: Levlite- Continious Birtcontrol, Micardis-40mg for High Blood Pressure

Meds I have Tried:
      Topamax,Tofranil, Elmiron, Atarax, Cymbalta, Elavil, Enablex, Detral La, Prydium.
      Lexapro< Bad reaction to this med!
      Intstills, could not continue them due to some kind of reaction after 3rd instill. Tasted the lidocaine in my mouth, tongue and lips went numb then went into what seemed like a panic attack. Shaking, racing heart, tingling face/head, blood pressure shot up..

Dx With IC in Nov 2006 with Hydro/Cysto
      Hydro/Cysto Caused Bladder to Rupture.

Other Dxs-Vulvodynia,Fibro, Endo, IBS, HPV, Migraines, Spastic Colon, Mild Dysplasia.

ICN Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Comment

My bladder tolerates carbs really, really well, I have the hips to prove it. On a bad day, I would only eat meats and carbs, such as chips, fries, potatoes, plain pasta, rice, bread, and home made treats.

I once had to follow a very strict IC diet like you, but over time, my bladder improved and now allows me to get away with different foods here and there.
          Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."
          Mary Anne Radmacher

Comment

Thanks for the reply. So I'm not the only one.

Comment

Rice and pancakes

I live on rice and pancakes when I am flaring. I have started to eat rice for breakfast for the energy boost since I have given up caffeine. I'd love to hear from others what food they can tolerate easily, especially while ordering in restaurants. Lii

Comment

me too

Yeah me too.

Starchy vegetables, water, and milk, are the only things that don't bother me.

Everything else will cause some degree of pain.

But hmmmm.....I've never thought of eating potatoes at every meal to offset everything. Maybe I should try it!
                Lee Ann
                Current Rx Meds:
                Atarax, Ditropan, Elmiron
                Prior to pregnancy: The above 3 meds PLUS Neurontin, Topamax, Loratadine, continuous OrthoCyclen, Lidocaine Patches PRN, Temazepam PRN, & Vicodin PRN
                Hooray for babies!
                Misc. lifesavers: Hot baths, ThermaCare Heat Wraps, Ice Packs. The IC Diet has changed my life.
                Didn't work for me:
                Detrol LA, Amitryptiline, Morphine, Percocet, TENS unit, Interferential Pain Stimulator Unit, Hypogastric Plexus Nerve Block
                IC (Mod-Severe) since 1996

UPDATE: 5/21/08 Pregnancy and breastfeeding afterwards have alleviated my IC symptoms more than anything, EVER. Most days are 100% pain free & I now have normal frequency (as long as I take these 3 meds).

My little sweetie! Jack weighed 9 lbs 12 oz and was born via c-section on Feb. 28, 2008...

Comment

cereal

I live on cereal...3 meals a day..when i flare
                  not the sugary kind..as that bothers me..
                  but the healthy stuff....grape nuts. frosted mini wheats...
                  are my favorite

i add fresh blueberrys and 2% milk..
                  and i am down to slim 119
                  still got a beer belly though..working on it
                  Quit ELMIRON due to hair loss
                  Cystoprotek ROCKS!

find me on FACEBOOK -
                  search my email [email protected]

Current Meds:
                  AM Cystoprotek & ATARAX 50mg
                  Dinner CYSTOPROTEK
                  PM Elavil 25mg

Comment

Definetly not the only one!! I live on starches most of the time, although my starch of choice is oatmeal. If I am flaring, seems like they are the only things my bladder will accept at all! I am very, very sick of pancakes, oatmeal, and biscuits(and so are my tummy and hips)

Comment

while flaring I stick to starch and meats also... I have rice, buttered pasta, plain waffles, & baked potato. Oatmeal for breakfast with only honey in it.

Comment

Yes, I'm in the same boat you are...Been flaing for over 2 months now, and it seems like no matter what I eat, it bothers me. I'm trying to just stick to what I know for sure, such as potato's, pasta, rice, etc. But it just goes against everything I was taught before in trying to lose weight for so many years, so it's been hard for me to get comfortable with eating mostly the carbs, but I have to!! I never tried eating it with something else as you say to help me, maybe I should try that also...hmmm
                        I'm so limited to what I can eat now, it's so hard. I feel like I'm living on pasta!! I love pasta, but not this much! LOL...

Kari
                        Kari

I'm 47 years old, married 27 years. I have two wonderful boys and two wonderful grandchildren. I was diagnosed in 1994. Life has certainly thrown me many many surprises, all of which I'm trying to stay positive and hopeful, and I try to think about my blessings not my misfortunes, when possible. Stay Strong!

Comment

I'm trying to lose weight because my doctor is pressuring me to do so. I don't know how it's possible on this diet. Everything I'm eating is fattening but I won't live thin and miserable. So, I'm trying to find a balance. I eat organic salad with no dressing once a day. I need to eat fiber. When I eat too many carbs I can't go to the bathroom....not to be gross but really I can't.
                          Diagnosed May 2007
                          Currently Taking:
                          Urelle as needed for urgency/burning
                          Elmiron 100 mg 2x a day
                          Omacor 1 gm. 1x a day (to lower my Triglycerides)
                          Lipitor 10 mg.

almost forgot.....I'm ing for a miracle all day long ......

Comment

Yeah... starch like potatoes, oatmeal, bread, and ice cream go down and out really well... unfortunately. I just got some Boar's Head turkey (maple honey flavor) from Publix today and it was heavenly! It was nice to have something different... even though I'm pretty much a vegetarian!
                            [SIZE="1"][B]Be well, Alyssa :hi:[/B]

[

Comment

Working...
                            X