Smoked Meats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoked Meats

I noticed that grilling is a preferred method of cooking for IC, but only after eating a grilled hamburger and grilled acorn squash last night, did I realize that the meat was actually smoked with hickory chips. The meat was preservative and solution free ground natural beef 96% lean and no salt was added to it. I just used an egg to bind it and make patties.

But, are all smoked meats on the problematic list regardless of whether or not you did them yourself or were storebought?

I think last night I had a slight flare that lasted into this morning.
    Sonja

Dx: Idiopathic Dilated Cardiomyopathy/Congestive Heart Failure-1997, Vulvar Vestibulitis-2006, IC-Feb 2007, Atrophic Vaginitis 08, Heavy Long and Painful Periods leading to Partial Hysterectomy-2007, Rectal Fissure-2007, Pelvic Floor Dysfuntion-2008, Post-Menopausal-2010

Meds: Coreg, Elmiron, Elestrin, Est/Test Topical Gel, Valium Suppositories, Lyrica, Dyrenium to counteract edema from Lyrica, Pain Meds.

IC Diet: Very diet sensitive, esp. to spices.

Wow, I have never had smoked meat like that for burgers, did you get that in your grocery store? (I ask cause it sounds like something my hubby would like, lol). I usually just find plain old ground beef,

I think that the commercially smoked products usually contain other things, like the nitrates etc. I suppose home-smoked might be better, since you are controlling the ingredients, etc. But, since I have never attempted smoking, lol, I am only throwing out some guesses on that one! Hopefully someone with more info will pipe up, as fortunately my bladder has never minded those food items...
    Hugs,
    Tracey
    How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time...

Harry arrived 2/23/09!

*IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

IC Diet Cheat Sheet:
    http://www.ic-network.com/diet/2009icdietlist.pdf

Dx's:
    IC dx'd Nov 2004
    Lymphocytic Colitis dx'd July 2005
    Possible IBS
    Current IC Meds
    Vistaril 25mg in the evening
    Previous IC Meds taken:
    Cystoprotek - 2 caps 2x's a day
    Elmiron, 100mg 3x's a day
    Ditropan, 5 mg 3x's a day
    Others:
    Wellbutrin 150mg 2x's a day for Anxiety/IBS
    Pepcid 40mg a day for GERD
    Zytrec for Nasal Allergies
    Align Probiotic daily for IBS

Comment

Hi. Two things stood out on your post. I could not and still can't tolerate anything smoked or whole eggs. The whites are fine with me, but not the yolks. It does sound good though. We buy all natural meat when it's available also, good stuff! Hope this helped.
      Minds are like parachutes-they ony function when they are open.
      -Thomas DeWar-

ICN Newbie Volunteer

*ICN Angel Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Traceann-
        the meat I bought was 96% lean natural beef with no solution and no preservatives.

We smoked it ourselves the way we always grill. Charcoal and hickory chips and we put the lid on the grill with the vents slightly open. The hickory chips add a lot of flavor to meats that have no sodium added to them or bbq sauce or anything on them (I have to be on low sodium diet as well for dilated cardiomyopathy).

Now, it looks like I will have to not smoke meats. I had leftover acorn squash that put olive oil on and grilled with the meat. I had an instant flare. It was pretty obvious, too, since I was feeling better, then I ate, and wham! had a lot of urgency/frequency. I took some Tum and gulped even more water. They helped.

Hoping4acure-
        Thanks for the tip on eggs. I wonder if it is the B vites in yolks that bug yours. I've been eating eggs on the phase one and haven't had any troubles so far. I'll keep my eyes open for that as a possible trigger.

Anyone else have smoked at home meat issues??????
        Sonja

Dx: Idiopathic Dilated Cardiomyopathy/Congestive Heart Failure-1997, Vulvar Vestibulitis-2006, IC-Feb 2007, Atrophic Vaginitis 08, Heavy Long and Painful Periods leading to Partial Hysterectomy-2007, Rectal Fissure-2007, Pelvic Floor Dysfuntion-2008, Post-Menopausal-2010

Meds: Coreg, Elmiron, Elestrin, Est/Test Topical Gel, Valium Suppositories, Lyrica, Dyrenium to counteract edema from Lyrica, Pain Meds.

IC Diet: Very diet sensitive, esp. to spices.

Comment

Working...
        X