Beans? Looking for cheap eats!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beans? Looking for cheap eats!

This diet is taking me broke! I was thinking of trying some meatless meals...maybe beans. Any ideas? Thanks!

green thumb?

Well I dont eat very much meat to begin with, but vegetables and whatnot aren't cheap either! Right now I'm in the process of planting a garden. Hopefully it'll work out, because that was about the best solution I could come up with for my diet. Not to mention you know where your food is coming from that way.

Diagnosed: IC-2004' Endometriosis- 2000,TMJ - 2004, Osteoporosis-2005, IBS - 2005
    Peptic Ulcer-2005, PFD-2005, CFS - 2006, ADD - 1996 Bipolar disorder -2007. Other shinanigans: pelvic adhesions, Migraines, Cluster Headaches, fatigue, stomach ulcers, ovarian cysts, allergies, severe PMS.[/COLOR]

Since February, I have had MRSA 7 times, was hospitalized for IV a/bs, and will be taking Tetracycline for the next 6 months. In April, my gyno found that not only did I also have a currently active infection of Epstein Barr Virus, but it was reactivated, and as of the blood work last week, still is. Kind of confusing....

Current Treatment:
    Daily Medications: Elmiron, Cymbalta, Baclofen, Nexium, Pyridium, Adderall, Tramadol, Kolonpin, Tetracycline
    Other: Self-Hypnosis, IC Diet, exercise, IV drips 2x a week of a bunch of stuff...

Here is the test to find whether your mission on Earth is finished: if you're alive, it isn't. " -Richard Bach"

[/I"]:woohoo: So, I know everyone knows this already, but I just thought I'd remind everyone about how the Saints are going to win the Superbowl this year, so, yeahh...ThE sAiNts,in tHe DoMe...'nuff said

Comment

I do okay with beans. I especially like refried ones. I also am fine with pasta if I'm careful what I put on it. I also can eat lentils.

Donna
      Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
      Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
      Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
      [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

If you have GFS near you (Gordon Food Stores, they look kind of like a CVS or Walgreens but they have restaurant supplies instead), I highly recommend buying their big bags of frozen veggies. Frozen ones are actually usually better for you most of the time than the "fresh" produce at the store, because it was blast-frozen at the peak of it's freshness, which "locks in" it's nutrients. At GFS, you can get 2lb bags of things like broccoli or cauliflower for less than $3, or, you can get a 4 lb bag of their fancier mixes with things like squash and wax beans for usually $6 or less. A bag like that lasts me and my boyfriend for a couple of weeks. They work well for a lot of stuff I make like stir-fries and pastas. They also have boxes containing 10 or 12 frozen fish fillets like salmon and tilapia for $15-$25 each, and you can get several meals out of those. If you don't have a GFS, then it might be a good idea to scan the add for your local grocery stores to find out what frozen veggies they have on sale.

A good "whole protein" source a lot of vegans rely on is quinoa grain. You cook it pretty much the exact same way you do rice, plus, it just looks really neat.

Another thing that's helped me out with money is that we have an organic/natural food co-op here where they buy many dry food stuffs like flour, rice, oats, and bread, and then I can just go and scoop out however much I need.

Comment

beans menu suggestions

Hi, I saw your request for suggestions for beans that are okay. I use black beans alot and have no problems. Whenever you cook them though you might try adding a potato, the starch reduces the tendency to cause flatulence. (key ingredient in beeno)
          Also, I use meat now as a key flavoring in my cooking instead of going meatless. I cut out all vinegar, wine, tomatoes, lemon, spicy spices and I find meat really helps make veggies tastier. For example, two slices of bacon crumbled into green beans replaced my grandma's recipe that included vinegar, onions & lots of black pepper. Hope this helps.

Comment

another menu suggestion

Hey,

I eat beans a LOT as a cheap meal. I try to have at least one meatless meal a week. A favorite recipe of mine and my hubby is a variant on beans and rice. I cook up instant rice in beef bouillon to flavor it (if you can handle beef bouillon). You can also buy beef flavored rice. Some brands I can handle, others I cannot. Then when rice is done, I add a can of black beans and a little of the juice from the can for flavor. As a last touch add american or colby cheese. Mix and heat until beans are hot and cheese all goopy. Its really yummy and pretty flavorful.

I also make my own hummus. I follow any basic hummus recipe but just don't include the teaspoon of lemon juice. Hummus is made from chick peas (also called garbonzo beans) and cans of those are really cheap too...

Comment

Thanks for all the ideas!!!

I am going to try to grow my own garden this year. All these outbreaks from eating fresh veggies is making me paranoid. I bought some lentils and barley so I'll probably try them first. I've done okay with hummus...can you make a meal out of it? I swear food prices are constantly going up. My two boys have food allergies as well so having to buy special foods for them as well is really killing our budget! That and we tend to get in a rut very quickly. No shellfish, nuts, eggs or milk in our house. Some weeks I feel like we're eating the same thing every day!

Comment

Almost forgot...won't bacon cause a flare or is there a partcular brand that's safe? What about beef boullion? I've been afraid to even try these things!

Comment

HI! As far as veggies go, I have real trouble eating any night shade veggies....peppers (green,red or spicy), potatos, eggplant, tomatos...(they also bother my arthritis)...Make sure you are able to eat them before you plant too many of them. Roxie

Double Spinal Cord Stimulator surgery 8/09
                  Unsuccessful MiniArc sling surgery 12/07
                  Dx'd Hypothyroid
                  Dx'd Chronic Axonal Neuropathy & Myopathy
                  June 2007
                  Dx'd IC May 2006 (after suffering for 25+ yrs!)
                  First Cysto 1979
                  First Hydro 1981 (Many treatments since then!)
                  Collagin"Durasphere" injections for urethra
                  Gall bladder surgery Aug. 2004
                  Gastric Bypass Dec. 2004
                  Dx'd: Barrett's Esphogus July 2004
                  Dx'd: Vaginal Atrophy 2005
                  Bladder surgery 2000
                  Dx'd: IBS 2000
                  Hysterectomy (fibroids) 1999
                  Laminectomy 1989
                  Dx'd: Degerative Disk Disorder 1989

For IC I use Elmiron, Elavil and Freeze dried Aloe Vera (it works likes Elmiron, but naturally)and Azo as needed. I also take Zegerid, Randitine for Barrett's Esophagus. (which causes me to have constant yeast infections!)I take Cymbalta for Neuopathy/Myopathy pain. I use the Climara patch for menopause symptoms. I'm on a very strict diet because of the IC, IBS and Gastric Bypass. I take Primal Defense Probiotics and whole food Iron.
                  I no longer have the awful urethral pain! I've been using MSM gel now for 4 mo. and haven't had a flare up or the urethra pain.....it's amazing stuff!!:woohoo:

Comment

Sometimes your local butcher will have "uncured" bacon, meaning that it doesn't have any nitrites or nitrates. We have a few places around here where we can pick those up...and, also, some people just might not have a problem with those.

Comment

Working...
                    X