Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ? on taking BC pills to control IC symptoms

HI there
    I am a lurker here on these boards, but have had IC for about 3 years now, no success in any cures yet (have tried all the drugs, done the hydros, etc). I am now considering getting onto the Pill to see if that will help my IC symptoms. I find that my flareups are generally related to my menstrual cycle. I figure if I can get rid of ovulation (usually get a BAD flareup for a few days each month at that time) & then lighten my periods/cramping will perhaps lessen my IC flareups!!
    I am sure I am not the only one on here who has considered this...has anyone actually TRIED it & if so, what kind of side effects/success have you seen? Also what kind of BC pill did you use? My OB has me taking YAZ (will start my first pill tonite)...WOULD love feedback ASAP to help in my decision if I swallow it or not tonite, lol.
    THanks much
    Karen
    Currently Taking:
    20 mg Celexa
    fentanyl patch 12.5 mcg chgd every 3 days
    morphine IR 15 MG, up to 3x daily
    Xanax 1mg as needed (not taken daily)
    900 MG Oxycarbizine (mood disorder)
    300 MG Welbutrin
    Tizanidine 4 mg up to 20 mg daily as need
    Prevacid 30 mg
    Ambien as needed

my heating pad is my best friend, use daily on my lower back & pelvic area
    blessed to be able to receive massage & Amma , along with Avazzia therapy 3x weekly

Been diagnosed for 10 years now, consider myself pretty well versed in this disease & would love to help out with new IC sisters or brothers, feel free to message me.

bc pills

hey, thats a fabulous ?, I've been thinking the same thing... maybe some of this aggrivation is hormonal. I was officially diagnosed with IC on March 9th 2007- after a hydrodistention that was performed on Feb 2nd 2007.
    I would like to try the pill but I'm 42, and most doctors are not in favor with my age.
    I have felt some relief from the distention but still have a lingering irritating pain, most days with major flare ups once a week or so... I've been taking elmiron since I first met with the uro in Jan of 07.
    It is really hard to tell if it works or not.... I plan to keep taking it . i've also been watching my diet . It gets so confusing, since one time a food will irritate it and then another it won't,,, I have found the food journal to be hard to follow for this reason.
    I also take prelief tablets through- out the day, they seem to help alot!!
    Has anyone else tried the pill?
    Rubygirl

Comment

I was on the pill a while ago, then got off it, then I underwent a bladder infection, a cold, then to make matters worse I went through terrible stress with my husband after that I had this condition. I think they all worked together. Hormones I think are key ( stress ) or some people say switching birth control pills did it for them. I know that during that time I had terrible bumps break out on the sides of my face ( hormonal), so yes I think your menstural time can be bad in terms of flares. I've heard other women say they take seasonale because you only get 4 periods a year, but it may be bad to switch pills since it affects hormone levels. I have been putting faith in suppliments as my doctors have been stumped and saying things like "I'm gonna go back to the drawing board" which means their going in the back to their computer! I've been trying these with a certain level of success:

glucosimine W/ MSM
      fish oil capsules ( great for hair too)
      UTI herbal tincture ( for freq. and urgency symptoms and prevention of UTI and bladder infections)
      excercise is really important to chase away those flares ( streching)
      Stress reduction is key ( soft music, nightly relaxing bath, will ferrel movies) laughing out loud helps your body in so many areas ( relives constriction)
      singing helps me fool my body when I am feeling really stressed ( good tip)

trying soon (because I have heard of people having success with them):
      Querticin supp.
      Aloe Vera capsules
      detoxifier ( not sure what to use yet)

Comment

I was on ortho tricyclin lo for about 2 years. It didn't see much of an improvement of myic symptoms at all! I recently switched to loestrin 24 and havent seen a difference on it either. I hope someone out there has.
        ***Rachel***

Dance like no one is watching
        Love like you've never been hurt
        Live today like it's your last

Dxd with IC in June '06

Comment

Hi floridamom,
          I think I would completely be in remission if it were not for menstrual problems. I have been taking seasonale (the Continuous birth control) for about 8 months and I will be fine for a couple of months and then as soon as my period is about to begin or if there is spotting due to the pill, I have major frequency. I am trying to find a good gyno to talk to about this but so far I have not been that successful. The only problem I have with the pill is the spotting in between, that causes most of the problems but with time the spotting has lessened. I am not sure Yaz has spotting side effects but you may want to look into continuos Birthcontrol because as I mentioned for me its the week starting the period that causes major problems for me.

Hope this helps a little
          Kat

Physical therapy/Breathing exercises
          I consider myself pretty much in remission.
          With only occasional flares brought on by menstrual problems

Cur
          rent Meds:
          Atarax
          Flexiril or Valium when needed
          Elmi
          ron
          Urispas
          Vitamin E
          Zyrtec
          Cysta Q
          Estriol in olive oil caps for VV