I'm on a recipe mission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm on a recipe mission

I have been searching through recipe books and websites for great tasting food that I can actually eat. Here are a few very yummy recipes that I have tried so far:

Cheesy zucchini casserole:
    4 slices of bread, toasted and cubed
    1/4 cup melted butter or marg
    2 cups cubed zucchini
    1 large onion, chopped ( I omitted this)
    1 tsp garlic salt
    1 egg, beaten
    2 cups cheese (it called for cheddar but I used mozzarella and a bit of farmers)

Place bread cubes in a medium bowl and pour melted butter over top. Add zucchini, onion, garlic salt and egg, mix well. Transfer mixture into 9 x 13 baking dish and top with cheese. Cover and bake for 30 minutes and then uncover and bake for 30 minutes ( I cut recipe in half and only baked for 30 total minutes). This was absolutely delicious. I think I may throw some cooked chicken in with it next time.

Super Simple Chicken:

Put chicken pieces in a roasting bag. Top each piece with a tablespoon of marg or butter. Sprinkle generously with dried basil and garlic salt. Throw in a stalk of celery and a carrot for added flavor. I baked this for 1 1/2 hours. It was soooo tender and flavorful.

Basil Pork Chops:
    1/4 packed brown sugar
    1 1/2 tsp dried basil
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp chili powder (I omitted)
    2 tbsp vegetable oil, divided
    4 boneless pork chops

In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, basil, salt, and chili powder. Gradually stir in 1 tbsp of oil until crumbly. Rub over both sides of pork chops. In a large skillet, cook pork in remaining oil until juices run clear.

these sound really good, i use basil on almost everything and zucchini is a very safe veggie for me.

Lyme disease diagnosed 11/05
    vulvar vestibulitis diagnosed 2/06 -worst case she has ever seen..very bad.
    IC diagnosed with hydro/cysto- may 17, 2006

Over growth of lactobicilli found 8/07 treating with doxy.

Was able to get my first internal exam evaluation for PFD....wohoo 1/18/07:woohoo:

8/22/07- was able to get my first speculum exam, with pap

Strep D found in bladder with United medical labs May 2006
    2 strains of strep in stool culture 9/06
    high Strep ASO titre found 10/06

NEW MED

Capsasin cream-once a day for 20min,
    BUt wont lie it does burn

About to start valium supositories for PFD

Trigger point injections- oct 07

Current meds:
    Neurontin- 100mg at night supposed to work up to 300mg if i can tolerate it
    Zanaflex 2mg
    IC and low oxalate diet, no sugar diet
    Xanax for appointments to help relax me since they cause so much pain

Started PT 3/07, PT has really helped me in ways I never knew that it would

Meds ive tried
    Lyrica
    Klonopin
    Singulair
    Claritin
    Pyridium
    Soma- can barely tolerate half a pill
    Atropine cream- didnt seem to work, although i found out I was applying the creams wrong
    Estradiol cream
    Urelle- caused worse bladder spasm and retention

Various antibiotics for lyme which caused yeast and made the IC and VV worse

waiting for the next chronic illness to pop up

"Did you know?
    Every 15 seconds,
    a person is
    diagnosed with
    interstitial cystitis."
    Source: J. Dimitrakov, MD

Comment

Thank you those look really good....
      Hugs
      Ronda

ONE Second, ONE Bite, ONE Breath, ONE Pill, ONE Minute, ONE Teardrop, ONE Hour, ONE Sip.. ONE DAY! I will Prevail from this disease! IC Hoping for a Cure!

Link to Patient Handbook:
      http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Diet Reference Sheet:
      http://www.ic-network.com/diet/icndi...tsheet0909.pdf

Meds For IC: Lyrica-25mg Glucosamine-500 MSM-500mg, Prosed Ds -When Flaring

Other Meds: Levlite- Continious Birtcontrol, Micardis-40mg for High Blood Pressure

Meds I have Tried:
      Topamax,Tofranil, Elmiron, Atarax, Cymbalta, Elavil, Enablex, Detral La, Prydium.
      Lexapro< Bad reaction to this med!
      Intstills, could not continue them due to some kind of reaction after 3rd instill. Tasted the lidocaine in my mouth, tongue and lips went numb then went into what seemed like a panic attack. Shaking, racing heart, tingling face/head, blood pressure shot up..

Dx With IC in Nov 2006 with Hydro/Cysto
      Hydro/Cysto Caused Bladder to Rupture.

Other Dxs-Vulvodynia,Fibro, Endo, IBS, HPV, Migraines, Spastic Colon, Mild Dysplasia.

ICN Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

recipes

Since you are on a recipe mission -- search for posts by me -- I have posted a lot of recipes in the past in the diet & IC section. I don't know if this is allowed, but I host IC recipes at my site www.art4ic.com. You can get a lot of them there too.

I find I have to reinvent stuff to fit the IC diet.
        Laura D. in Florida

Share your poems and art about living with IC, and your IC-friendly recipes at www.art4ic.com

IC since 1994: primarily utilize herbal/natural treatments due to intolerance to many medications. Daily: Marshmallow Root Tea, Hormones, Cystoprotek, Desert Harvest Aloe Vera, Claritin, and relatively strict adherence to IC Diet.

Comment

Thanks for sharing, sounds delicious!

Kari
          Kari

I'm 47 years old, married 27 years. I have two wonderful boys and two wonderful grandchildren. I was diagnosed in 1994. Life has certainly thrown me many many surprises, all of which I'm trying to stay positive and hopeful, and I try to think about my blessings not my misfortunes, when possible. Stay Strong!

Comment

Also on a mission

Hi.

I am also on the same mission. So many people have good recipies, but they're scattered all over the place. I once suggested having ONE thread for them all but it didn't go anywhere. Some people have them here, some on their web site, some are on other areas of this site and it drives me crazy trying to find everything we already HAVE when what I really want to do is look for new stuff.

I work in the publishing industry and have the resources to put an IC cookbook together--yes, I know we have one or two, but I want there to be 10 of them! I have thought this through carefully as to how to do it. What I want is an end product that is sort of the "Joy of IC Cooking" with recipies (how DO you spell this word?) you would never know were limited to IC foods.

I have contacts with chefs and restaurants, and I want to challenge people to come up with new ideas; collects a dozen ideas for sauces, dressings, etc. I want a section for ethnic foods, one for vegetarian food, low carb, health, a section for entertaining, etc. Ten different recipies for pizzas. Combining foods in different ways to create new flavors. There are foods out there that aren't even on the chart and haven't been tested.

I want to have hints about how to improve cooking techniques to make the food we already eat taste better, eg, eggs are so much better when you cook them slowly, maybe where to cut the grain on the meat, etc. My neice is attending a cooking school and I see just how much is out there untapped. She has agreed to work on it with me. Of the 100% of all IC meals we can have, we haven't tapped into 20%, I bet.

Anyway, I am in the middle of another book project until March of next year, but I am working slowly. I have already had a lot of great stuff come my way.

I went to a Mexican restaurant and had this glazed salmon on garlic mashed potatoes with friend spinch that was great--I have friends with a Serbian restaurant who make a burek with phylo dough and goat cheese and lanb cheese and all kinds of non-aged cheeses I didn't know existed. My plan is to offer chefs and restaurants that suggest recipies (they can make one up, not share their secrets) a page or paragraph of info on them.

I also want to have flexible foods, in that someone can make a dish that's IC, take out a portion, then add in ingredients that the rest of the family might like.

Anyway, I AM going to collect these recipies for myself, and I might as well share them. My thought is to distribute it via an e-book, see how it sells, and if it does well, send it out to publishers and see who might pick it up. I could publish it through my imprint; I have ISBN numbers and such, but that's really a pain.

A great start would just be having one place we can put all our ideas.

Janvier

Comment

Working...
            X