Sandwich or wrap spread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sandwich or wrap spread?

I am looking for things to make for my daughter who has been diagnosed with IC. I was wondering what you all use on sandwiches and wraps instead of mustard, mayo, ranch, etc.

Or is Ranch and Mayo Ok?

Thanks, Paula

Paula,

When I'm NOT flaring, I can eat ranch and mayo in small amounts. Yogurt is even better for me, so if I need a mayo taste w/o getting a lot of mayo, I will mix a spoonful of mayo to plain yogurt and use that to mix tuna salad, or egg salad. Another tasty alternative for meat sandwiches is hummus. I can eat regular, garlic flavored, red pepper flavored and babaganush (eggplant) hummus. I spread it on turkey sandwiches and its really tasty and flavorful. For peanut butter sandwiches, I use honey instead of jam. Its really yummy and I've been eating pb + honey since kindergarten so I know kids like that alternative.

Comment

to the ICN...I am so sorry your daughter has IC. I am so glad you found your way here.

I can eat mayo but some of us can't. I have read that some of those who can't have mayo can use butter or cream cheese on their sandwiches. Everything with this disease is so individual. What's okay for some may not be for others. Sadly, the only way to find out is with experimentation. Take a look at the IC Diet. You can find the link to it at the top of this page. In it, you will find lists of those foods that are usually okay for us.
      Sharon

Shopping??? Did someone mention shopping? I'll get my hat... ;-)

Where I can be found most days.

Link to the ICN Patient Handbook:
      http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Link to the IC Diet:
      http://www.ic-network.com/diet/

IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

I like cream cheese.

Donna
        Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
        Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
        Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
        [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

I like cream cheese too... be careful of yoghurt, for me that was always a bigger flare trigger than even mayo! Peanut butter can also trigger flares

If you're making the sandwhich for her to eat at home, try melting IC safe cheese on it (it will make the sandwhich more tasty and moist without making her flare).....
          current meds:
          cytotec 200mcg twice daily
          toprol
          allegra

ONLY 3 MEDICATIONS!!! YAY! Would never have dreamed this is possible

dx: hashimoto's thyroiditis 1998
          dx: interstitial cystitis via cystoscopy with hydrodistention and biopsy 2003
          dx: endometriosis 2003
          dx: innapropriate sinus tacchicardia 2005

meds tried but failed:
          elavil (6months)- severe tachycardia
          elmiron (1yr6mo.)- no improvement, nausea, hair loss, stomach ulcers
          a bunch of others

Me and my best friend's baby (also my Godson!)

Comment

I can eat Peanut Butter/honey. Also a little bit of Mayo with tuna.

Comment

Rachael Ray made this today on her show. It could be adapted to the IC diet I think.

Spinach, Artichoke & Cheeses Wrap Or Dip
              Wrap it when you're on-the-go, or dip into it at a party!

ingredients
              1 2.5-ounce container Boursin cheese
              1 package cream cheese (4 ounces)
              Juice of 1 lemon
              1 15-ounce can artichokes in water, drained and roughly chopped
              1 10-ounce bag of spinach, stems removed
              Salt and black pepper
              2 bags, bagel chips (if making as a dip)
              4 large, wrap-size spinach tortillas (if making as a wrap)
              2 roasted red peppers, chopped
              preparation
              In a food processor, add the Boursin and cream cheeses, lemon juice, chopped artichokes and spinach, and pulse until combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with bagel chips as a dip or spread on a spinach wrap, top with red peppers and take it on the go!
              Yields 4-6 servings

Comment

I sometimes use Olive oil or the garlic infused oil instead of mayo or even as a salad dressing. I have to be careful that it is just garlic oil, no additives, preservatives or spices. I like to roast garlic at home and put it in some olive oil. It usually keep up to a month in the fridge. Some IC'ers can't tolerate Olive oil or garlic, but many are fine. While I am triggered by most things, this is safe for me!
                Rachel
                DX's:
                IC; PFD; possible Fibromyalgia; IBS;

Symptoms: Frequency, Urgency, pelvic and bladder pain, bladder and pelvic spasms, difficulty starting urination, weak stream, incontinence, vaginal and urethral pain

I've Tried:
                three Hydrodistentions, various Rescue Installments; 6 DSMO treatments; Pyridium Plus; Proced; Detrol (patch); Elavil; Uricet K; Elmiron; Nortiptyline; Ultram; Allegra; Ditropan; Ditropan ER; Vesicare; regular Lidocain; Neurontin; Lyrica; and few more I can't remember!
                Currently using:
                Valium; Vicadin; Proced DS; Claritin; Buffered Lidocain; Cymbalta; Baclofen; Prazosin @ night (also on Prednisone and Adderall for my joint pain and severe fatigue)
                Heating pads; frozen water bottles; A&D ointment; Poise pads; IC dieter since 8/06; yoga; imagery & relaxation CD, Mindfullness, self healing CD's; hot baths; seat cushion; prayer
                I am 28 yrs old, dx'ed in '06, still trying to get my health undercontrol!!

Comment

I can handle mayo and yoghurt, but use it sparingly. But even better is avocado, if your daughter can eat or likes that. If it's too hard, I add a little olive oil or plain yoghurt to make it spread easier. I've read that some of us can't eat avocados.
                  PS...I use real mayo, not the light...it has a lot more questionable ingredients.
                  Last edited by Briza; 03-26-2007, 10:00 AM.

Comment

I use cream cheese (get the cream cheese in the block, not the tub - the tub contains citric acid -ouch!) & mix a tiny amount of Marie's Lite Creamy Ranch*(available in the produce section) in it.
                    *No preservatives!

What I also find tasty is to put a slice of mozzarella cheese in the sandwich, with a few thin slices of red bell pepper & microwave for 20 seconds to melt the cheese. This is especially good on roast beef or turkey.
                    Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
                    I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
                    ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
                    Source - Pinterest
                    "

Current treatments:
                    -IC diet
                    -Elavil 50mg at night
                    -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
                    -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
                    -Pyridium if needed,
                    -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
                    -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
                    -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
                    -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
                    -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
                    -Managing stress= VERY important!
                    -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Comment

You all have given me a lot of good suggestions. Thank you!
                      My daughter is 26 years old so she has more mature taste beyond
                      PB & Honey. You all gave some yummy alternatives. It does sound
                      like she is going to have to figure out what her trigger foods are though.
                      As everyones is not the same.

Thank you all!
                      ~Paula

Comment

Careful, I noticed one of the posts has lemon juice as an ingredient. Definitely an individual tolerance thing. It would do very bad things to me, but sounds like ok for someone else.
                        Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
                        ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
                        Source - Pinterest
                        "

Current treatments:
                        -IC diet
                        -Elavil 50mg at night
                        -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
                        -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
                        -Pyridium if needed,
                        -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
                        -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
                        -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
                        -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
                        -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
                        -Managing stress= VERY important!
                        -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Comment

You have been given some excellent suggestions. Another option is placing cottage cheese in a blender and mixing in garlic or herbs your daughter likes and tolerates. That can make an excellent mayo substitute for sandwiches, for preparing egg, chicken or tuna salad and can also be used as a dip.
                          Annie

IC
                          Ulcerative Colitis and IBS
                          Pelvic Floor Dysfunction

_________________________________________________________
                          Retirement is great! Work is highly overrated!!!
                          ---My dear hubby

________________________________________________________
                          Never go to a doctor whose office plants are dead.
                          ---Unknown

Comment

sandwich/wrap spread

Hi,

I mash up ricotta cheese with olive oil and add some herbs (dill with tuna, other herbs like oregano/basil for chicken), and salt and pepper. You could mash the ricotta and thin it out with a bit of milk if you didn't want the fat from the olive oil or use a bit of each. I then add chopped veggies such as red/green pepper, celery, etc. for crunch (I like tuna or chicken salad like this).

If you roast some red peppers yourself and skin and puree them you could mix it with ricotta/or goat cheese, plus basil, salt and pepper. I make a dip for veggies like this.

What about making some herb/garlic butter - that might taste good.

For a sandwich/wrap at home garlic flavoured olive oil would taste good. You could bring some in a container if you were not eating the sandwich at home.

I use olive oil, herbs, salt and pepper as a salad dressing sometimes. I have taken it with me to a restaurant in a small plactic container in a baggie.

Most of the store brands of humous have lemon in them. You could make some yourself and leave out the lemon.

Just a few ideas.

Kathy

Comment

Ditropan and dry mouth

Hi....
                              Has anyone out there found a gum that is okay to eat?Most of them have aspartame or citric acid.
                              Thanks!
                              Lori

Comment

Working...
                              X