tortillas at King Soopers or Safeway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tortillas at King Soopers or Safeway

Are there any IC friendly tortillas at King Soopers or Safeway? I read every label I could find and they all have the same ingredients. I even found one "made with organic ingredients" that also had supposedly unsafe stuff. What brand can I buy?

If I have to go to one of those organic stores what brand would I buy there?

Thanks.

I buy mine at Wild Oats Market or Whole Foods

Comment

Unfortunately, I've not found any tortillas at Safeway I can tolerate. I get my tortillas from Trader Joe's, "Trader Joe's Truly Handmade Whole Wheat".
      Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
      I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
      ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
      Source - Pinterest
      "

Current treatments:
      -IC diet
      -Elavil 50mg at night
      -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
      -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
      -Pyridium if needed,
      -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
      -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
      -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
      -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
      -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
      -Managing stress= VERY important!
      -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Comment

I'm confused as to why the Tortillas would bother us? I have a bag in front of me and the only ingredients are : White Corn, Vegetable oil, and salt, No Preservatives.....So why do they bother us?

Kari
        Kari

I'm 47 years old, married 27 years. I have two wonderful boys and two wonderful grandchildren. I was diagnosed in 1994. Life has certainly thrown me many many surprises, all of which I'm trying to stay positive and hopeful, and I try to think about my blessings not my misfortunes, when possible. Stay Strong!

Comment

You've found a great brand, Kari! And you're right, those ingredients would not bother most IC-ers.

Unfortunately, the tortillas at my supermarket (Safeway) all contain preservatives (metabisulfite or citric or sorbic acid, or if they are all-natural, they have lime juice in them).
          Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
          I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
          ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
          Source - Pinterest
          "

Current treatments:
          -IC diet
          -Elavil 50mg at night
          -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
          -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
          -Pyridium if needed,
          -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
          -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
          -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
          -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
          -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
          -Managing stress= VERY important!
          -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Comment

Every tortilla I found at King Soopers had three or four ingredients with either large names or the word acid.

Kari. Perhaps you mean tortilla chips? Those probably just have 3 ingredients like potato chips. But I can't have chips of any kind (except for potato chips and not the new Lays), especially tortilla chips. I can't have anything powdery. Sounds wierd, I know. That's also why I can't take Prelief.

I'm going to Whole Foods today to see what I can find.

Carol

Comment

OOpps sorry, I thought you meant the Tortilla chips..
              Yes, I seem to be having a problem with them also and couldn't understand why since those are the only ingredients it should be fine..I am fine with the potatoe chips too as you said, weird...I was wondering if anyone knew why they would bother me?

Kari
              Kari

I'm 47 years old, married 27 years. I have two wonderful boys and two wonderful grandchildren. I was diagnosed in 1994. Life has certainly thrown me many many surprises, all of which I'm trying to stay positive and hopeful, and I try to think about my blessings not my misfortunes, when possible. Stay Strong!

Comment

Have you tried making them homeade? You could check the internet for recipes.. I know my mom always made the homeade.. And I think all she used was flour, water, and cooking oil...
                But try googling and see what you come up with...
                Hugs
                Ronda

ONE Second, ONE Bite, ONE Breath, ONE Pill, ONE Minute, ONE Teardrop, ONE Hour, ONE Sip.. ONE DAY! I will Prevail from this disease! IC Hoping for a Cure!

Link to Patient Handbook:
                http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Diet Reference Sheet:
                http://www.ic-network.com/diet/icndi...tsheet0909.pdf

Meds For IC: Lyrica-25mg Glucosamine-500 MSM-500mg, Prosed Ds -When Flaring

Other Meds: Levlite- Continious Birtcontrol, Micardis-40mg for High Blood Pressure

Meds I have Tried:
                Topamax,Tofranil, Elmiron, Atarax, Cymbalta, Elavil, Enablex, Detral La, Prydium.
                Lexapro< Bad reaction to this med!
                Intstills, could not continue them due to some kind of reaction after 3rd instill. Tasted the lidocaine in my mouth, tongue and lips went numb then went into what seemed like a panic attack. Shaking, racing heart, tingling face/head, blood pressure shot up..

Dx With IC in Nov 2006 with Hydro/Cysto
                Hydro/Cysto Caused Bladder to Rupture.

Other Dxs-Vulvodynia,Fibro, Endo, IBS, HPV, Migraines, Spastic Colon, Mild Dysplasia.

ICN Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

Thanks. I'm not much of a cook. I'm happy I now know how to cook turkey and steak and mashed potatoes. And I have minute rice figured out. I had to resort to a personal chef service to make me chicken stock and turkey gravy. Whatever works

I did go to Whole Foods today. 40 minutes away. It's always an interesting experience. Today I saw a guy wearing a tight black yoga outfit. Anyway, I bought three different tortillas I'm going to try. One was fresh made at the bakery, and two were in the refrigerator area. They definitely have a shorter list of ingredients. I hope they store well as it will take me a couple of weeks to figure out which one, if any, doesn't bother me.

Comment

Well I tried one of the organic tortillas. Yuck! So I tried the Mission flour tortillas from King Soopers with the metabasulfite in it. Luck me, they don't bother me at all. I think preservatives are the few things that don't bother me. So I can now have melted american cheese on tortillas. Yummy! Reminds me of a grilled cheese sandwich. And I should be able to have sliced steak and melted mozzarella on tortillas also. That ought to be good. That brings the list of things I can eat up to about 12.

Comment

well I am glad you found something that works for you
                      Hugs
                      Ronda

ONE Second, ONE Bite, ONE Breath, ONE Pill, ONE Minute, ONE Teardrop, ONE Hour, ONE Sip.. ONE DAY! I will Prevail from this disease! IC Hoping for a Cure!

Link to Patient Handbook:
                      http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Diet Reference Sheet:
                      http://www.ic-network.com/diet/icndi...tsheet0909.pdf

Meds For IC: Lyrica-25mg Glucosamine-500 MSM-500mg, Prosed Ds -When Flaring

Other Meds: Levlite- Continious Birtcontrol, Micardis-40mg for High Blood Pressure

Meds I have Tried:
                      Topamax,Tofranil, Elmiron, Atarax, Cymbalta, Elavil, Enablex, Detral La, Prydium.
                      Lexapro< Bad reaction to this med!
                      Intstills, could not continue them due to some kind of reaction after 3rd instill. Tasted the lidocaine in my mouth, tongue and lips went numb then went into what seemed like a panic attack. Shaking, racing heart, tingling face/head, blood pressure shot up..

Dx With IC in Nov 2006 with Hydro/Cysto
                      Hydro/Cysto Caused Bladder to Rupture.

Other Dxs-Vulvodynia,Fibro, Endo, IBS, HPV, Migraines, Spastic Colon, Mild Dysplasia.

ICN Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

If it ends up bothering you later, as things sometimes do, you might want to go to a mexican grocery store/aisle and get some cheap corn tortillas. I know they're not the same as flour, but usually the ingredients list is the same as the tortilla chips that Kari mentioned.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, but I can't have corn.

Comment

When I was at King Soopers today I saw they put out new tortillas in the cold section by the soy stuff. They're not organic, but they only have about 4 or 5 ingredients you would normally have in your home. No preservatives. I haven't tried them, but just wanted to let you know they now have safe tortillas.

Comment

Working...
                            X