Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just talked to my Uro's office about the IC Diet

Tuesday, April 10, 07

I decided to call my Urologist office today to see if my Urologist felt that the IC Diet works. They said that they have some patients try it and say it works and others say it doesn't. They did tell me to give it a try. I was dx back in 2004, but to this day, I have never even tried the IC Diet. I remember back then that my Urologist didn't feel the diet was worth trying. I have a friend who also has IC, and she has been trying to get me to try the IC Diet for awhile now and I keep putting it off.

I now have a question about the diet: Before starting the diet, should I continue for a week or so and eat and drink what I normally do and then track what I eat and drink and how often and how much I pee (sorry)? And then start the diet? PLEASE, give me some pointers.

Thank You,
    Kim

the diet

I started the diet immediately because of the severity of my symptoms. Even before I was officially diagnosed I began the process of elimination. Since it involves much compromise, I recommend eliminating some top triggers first.
    All the info can be found on this site. But if I am not mistaken, these would be,(caffeine, acidic tomato/citrus, artificial sweeteners/preservatives, carbonated beverages, liquor, cigarettes) etc. I really am convinced that even if people think they don't have to follow the diet, they should, as closely as possible at least. Because what our body allows us to get away with today, may very well not be the case tomorrow. Best of luck and health to you!!
    Love is a fruit in season at all times, within reach of every hand. ~ The Blessed Mother Teresa

Status: Diagnosed October 2006 via cystoscopy with hydrodistention. Max anesthetized bladder capacity only 250 cc's. Mast cells and pinpoint bleeding found.

Remission for me means less pain for more days than not. Frequency is inevitable with a bladder this tiny! That is ok though. The difference between when I was diagnosed and now, is that I have embraced that fact. Me and the loo, we are one.

Comment

I would start the diet immediately. If you feel as much better on it as most ICers, you'll absolutely know it.

Donna
      Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
      Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
      Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
      [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

I started before my actualy diagnosis as well b/c I suspected so strongly that IC was the problem. It improved my symptoms so quickly I was astounded. It has continued to work for me.
        Sonja

Dx: Idiopathic Dilated Cardiomyopathy/Congestive Heart Failure-1997, Vulvar Vestibulitis-2006, IC-Feb 2007, Atrophic Vaginitis 08, Heavy Long and Painful Periods leading to Partial Hysterectomy-2007, Rectal Fissure-2007, Pelvic Floor Dysfuntion-2008, Post-Menopausal-2010

Meds: Coreg, Elmiron, Elestrin, Est/Test Topical Gel, Valium Suppositories, Lyrica, Dyrenium to counteract edema from Lyrica, Pain Meds.

IC Diet: Very diet sensitive, esp. to spices.

Comment

strange reaction to ic diet

It seems the more things I eliminate, or the longer I am on this IC diet the worse I get. I have been on it very stricltly for almost 3 months, reading labels on everything and my frequency and pain have gotten worse. I just started vistaril a few days ago and the last few days have been even worse. I am so confused. Anyone have a similar experience?

Comment

I am not diet sensitve except for citrus and sometimes caffeine as long as I don't go overboard and my bladder is behaving. I was very strict on the elimination diet for several months and drank nothing but water to determine what my triggers were. I have found that other than the above, my triggers are hormones, stress and letting myself get too tired.

T83

Comment

Judy, perhaps this will help

I have been very good at the elimination diet.Perhaps too good. My new motto:moderation is key to overcoming our I.C.
              Why? For starters, there comes a point that I eliminated so much I couldn't even stand the taste of anything. All tasted like acid on my tounge. Nothing felt right. I got worse, total elimination can be really bad after a few months. It's great at getting over a flare, or recovering initially from a life of overindulgence, but eventually we must weave in milk with a taste of coffee, or in icecream. A plum tomato or two.A sprinkle of dressing.Some diluted grape juice. Even a couple sips of wine. And so forth. Such efforts, have made it all tasty and worthy of my time. Only through moderation and compromise. My IC is surprisingly under control.

I must also emphasize, proper medications.Pay attention to the way they make you feel! Many meds, particularly anti-frequency meds made my frequency and pain sooo much worse due to severe constipation.I would go 80 plus times a day,easy. I tried many kinds and everytime cried mercy and quit it,very quickly too! That alone cut the frequency and flares in half. If it's helping you, try healthy colon cleansers and natural laxatives like prune juice! Hope this helps! Also, for me, meds prescribed for anxiety and blood pressure along with elmiron, surprisingly helped my frequency issues much better than the anti-freq meds. So keep up the faith. You've done your body good. Now satisfy those cravings in moderation.If its a problem, cut back, try something else. It is experimentation time, beware, start off with a taste or mostly diluted, but have fun with it! You deserve it!! Warmest regards!!
              Love is a fruit in season at all times, within reach of every hand. ~ The Blessed Mother Teresa

Status: Diagnosed October 2006 via cystoscopy with hydrodistention. Max anesthetized bladder capacity only 250 cc's. Mast cells and pinpoint bleeding found.

Remission for me means less pain for more days than not. Frequency is inevitable with a bladder this tiny! That is ok though. The difference between when I was diagnosed and now, is that I have embraced that fact. Me and the loo, we are one.

Comment

Working...
              X