X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saveena
    replied
    Re: Any such thing as IC Safe yogurt?

It took a couple of tries, but I finally got nice, thick yogurt. I'm still learning how to use the Instant Pot, so my first batch was runny and sour. The second batch is super creamy (I added a tiny bit of cream). It is definitely less acidic than store bought and I read that if you cook it a shorter time or at a lower temp for longer, you can reduce the acid even more (the second would be a stove top method). I can mix in whatever I want after the plain base is finished, so for me this is a very nice alternative and it really is cheaper! I can also use this instead of sour cream on my potatoes.

This is the recipe I like best - https://amindfullmom.com/instant-pot-yogurt/
    One note to add is that when you mix in the "culture" or other yogurt (cheapest way is to buy some with the live cultures and use that during the "inoculation" phase), you need to mix it VERY well or it will only coagulate around the clumps. That was my first mistake.
    You can use any type of "milk" that you want according to the recipe. I might try using coconut milk next time to see what that is like!

Leave a comment:

• Saveena
    replied

Well that's the trick... from what I've read you either need to buy the live cultures or use a little bit of a pre-made yogurt as a "starter". Will try it this weekend and see what happens.

Leave a comment:

• ICNDonna
    replied

Originally posted by Saveena View Post
    Has anyone tried home made yogurt? I just got an Instant Pot and am thrilled with the idea of making my own yogurt and cottage cheese. They say it is less "tangy" so I'm thinking that means less acid.
    If you make it from IC safe contents, it's at least worth a try. I like doing home made foods.

Donna

Leave a comment:

• Saveena
    replied

Has anyone tried home made yogurt? I just got an Instant Pot and am thrilled with the idea of making my own yogurt and cottage cheese. They say it is less "tangy" so I'm thinking that means less acid.

Leave a comment:

• Marilyn Q
    replied

I make my own MSM gel using 2 TB MSM powder/crystals (make sure no additives, just pure MSM), and 1/2 Cup Aloe Vera Gel (George's because it is the purest I can find, no ascorbic acid).

I use it for sore joints/muscles, and for urethra, just rub a dab on.

Leave a comment:

• maryjane1
    replied

Originally posted by Roxie2007 View Post
    HI! I use the Dannon low sugar/low fat yogert and haven't had any problem with any flavor of it. Roxie
    How do you use the MSM gel? Doesn't the ascorbic acid bother you? Very curious

Leave a comment:

• maryjane1
    replied

I know this post is incredibly old but maybe...How do you use the MSM gel in your urethra? How do you handle the ascorbic acid in it? Very curious

Leave a comment:

• Want2BPainFree
    replied
    I think yogurt is one of those foods that contains a lot of tyramine, which I believe I read can trigger mast cell degranulation in the bladder, which causes irritation and inflammation.

Also, since the IC diet manual says to avoid fermented foods, I have not tried yogurt again, but before when I ate it, I ate Stoneyfield Fat Free with no additives.

Leave a comment:

• klassdg
    replied
    RE: Yogurt and IC

Hello.
    I didn't know Yogurt and IC don't go together.
    I am not a huge yogurt eater.

I eat Dannon Lite n'Fit Yogurt - low in fat, no sugar -
    no fruits - and have no trouble.
    I love their vanilla or my favorite -
    white chocolate raspberry.

Diane

Originally posted by TracyS View Post
    As I understand and unfortunately, experience it, yogurt and the IC diet do not go together. However, I wonder, does anyone know some alternatives that might work, as for example, reduced acid coffee exists, so does acid reduced orange juice, and there are yellow tomatoes. Any comments or hope for someone with IC who wants to eat yogurt like crazy?? Well, I just did for a couple of weeks, and now I think my bladder is saying, "no more". Any insights as to why yogurt is a difficult food? Do any alternatives work, like Kefir, or soy-based yogurt, or as I've been eating, greek yogurt? Looking forward to replies. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Sharyn
    replied
    What is MSM gel?

Leave a comment:

• Roxie2007
    replied
    HI! I use the Dannon low sugar/low fat yogert and haven't had any problem with any flavor of it. Roxie

Leave a comment:

• Lynn15
    replied
    i've been able to tolerate stonyfield farm organic yogurt. i stick with the vanilla or blueberry. i haven't really noticed it bothering me. what is it in yogurt that isn't good for us? is their acid in it?

Leave a comment:

• Sarojini
    replied
    I can eat yogurt -- vanilla, and the berry flavors. I'm lucky in that way.

I have heard that trying the yogurt that is made for babies and young children may be the way to go for ICers, since that type has fewer additives and is not as acidic.

Leave a comment:

• Momelf
    replied
    Originally posted by TracyS View Post
    As I understand and unfortunately, experience it, yogurt and the IC diet do not go together. However, I wonder, does anyone know some alternatives that might work, as for example, reduced acid coffee exists, so does acid reduced orange juice, and there are yellow tomatoes. Any comments or hope for someone with IC who wants to eat yogurt like crazy?? Well, I just did for a couple of weeks, and now I think my bladder is saying, "no more". Any insights as to why yogurt is a difficult food? Do any alternatives work, like Kefir, or soy-based yogurt, or as I've been eating, greek yogurt? Looking forward to replies. Thanks.

I've been hungry for yogurt too, but too afraid to try it. My first question would be....do you eat plain, unflavored yogurt or the flavored variety? Maybe it's the additives (like citric acid) that cause the problem.

Donna, which can you eat?

Thanks,
    Darlene

Leave a comment:

• leelee88
    replied
    I can eat vanilla yogurt and frozen yogurt with no problems..

Leave a comment:

Working...
X