AHA!!! I think I figured it out!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AHA!!! I think I figured it out!!

I have always been wondering why I can't take a simple pain reliever called acetaminophen. Specifically I was using Equate brand. Which is a generic for some drug store. Not sure which one. I can't remember!!lolol Anyhow I decide to look at the ingredients today, and no wonder I am having difficulty. It has sodium metabisulfite in it. Here are the list of complete ingredients:

carnauba wax
    croscarmellose sodium
    hypromellose
    polyethylene glycol
    providone
    sodium metabisulfite
    sodium starch glycolate
    starch
    stearic acid

Does anyone know of a acetominophen that doesn't have all this c--p?

I have been suffering because I have not been able to tolerate OTC pain meds, and I just figured out why. Pays to read the label. (which I usually do), but I guess I forgot on this one. Thanks a bunch!!!

Good for you! It's amazing what you can find on the label. I often end up checking them after the fact....after I've been set off. But I'm learning, just like you.

Out of curiosity I got my acetaminophen out...it's Vons/Safeway brand. Here are the ingredients:

Canauba Wax
    Cornstarch
    Hydropropyl Methylcellulose
    Polyethelyene Glycol
    Povidone
    Stearic Acid
    Titanium Dioxide

MAY ALSO CONTAIN: Polysorbate 80, Talc

I looks to me like it would be safe, but I've been so up and down with things, I don't know if it flares me or not.

Good luck to you!

Comment

Hi Momelf,

Thanks for your reply. This still looks like too many ingredients for me, but I think some IC'rs tolerate things better than I do. I'm very chemically sensitive. I researched yesterday, and the best one by far, and I've been taking it since yesterday without flaring is regular Tylenol. Not extra strength, not caplets.....just regular strength Tylenol. There are only 4ingredients, and they are all quite benign.

Cellulose
      corn starch
      magnesium stearate
      sodium starch glycolate.....

The only thing is that there is no coating to help it go down (which is what all those extra ingredients are anyway) so swallow them one at a time. I did two yesterday, and it kind of got stuck in my throat.

I flare very quickly when I take something chemical that doesn't agree with me so I pretty much know what the culprit is, and I've been an IC'r since Feb 06 so I'm really starting to know what helps and what hurts now. It takes about a year to figure it all out. Good luck to you too. Keep me posted on how you are doing.

Comment

That's good news! I think you are very smart, going for the fewest ingredients. I'll keep your recommendation in mind. I've only been diagnosed since October '06, so I've still got a lot to learn.

Best to you.

Comment

hello, i dont even mess with that ingredient anymore. i do use advil. no problems from it at all.

Comment

I think that is the Walmart brand.
            IC Awareness

Comment

I take hydroxzine
              Hydroxyzine hydrochloride occurs as a white, odorless powder which is very soluble in water.
              Hyroxyzine Hydrocholoride Tablets USP, 10 mg, 25 mg, and 50mg contain the following inactive ingredients:
              anhydrous lactose,
              colloidal silicon dioxide,
              croscarmellose sodium,
              FD&C Yellow No. 6,
              hypromellose,
              magnesium stearate,
              microcrystalline cellulose,
              polyethylene glycol,
              ploysorbate 80
              titanium dioxide.

Hydroxyzine Hydrochloride Tablets USP, 25 mg and 50 mg also contain FD&C Blue No. 2 and D&C Yellow No. 10.
              'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

Comment

Working...
              X