Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommend a good multivitamin (or several)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend a good multivitamin (or several)?

it's so difficult to get all the necessary vits i need...can anyone recommend a good multi vitamin (not just ester-c) that's safe for ic?

i appreciate it!

thanks,
    tracy
    (Added by ICNMgrJill on 5/19/08. I am sad to share that Verdicries (aka Tracy) lost her life in a tragic accident just a few days ago. We will miss her support, her encouragement, her sense of humor and, of course, the joy that she found as a mother and wife).

Tracy ~ 29 years old with Toxoplasmosis (from birth), Fibro/CFS (since age 13...ouch), severe IC, IBS-D, severe PFD (surgery made it even worse), vulvodynia, hiatal hernia, GERD, ulcers, severe gastritis, numbness/tingling in extremeties, pelvic nerve damage--mainly urethral, urinary retention, pelvic reconstruction 7.10.07 (fixed rectocele, rectal prolapse, lifted bladder, urethra, uterus, and repaired vaginal walls), Raynaud's, 2 severely herniated discs in neck and one in low back, anemia, PCOS, anxiety/depression/panic attacks (since forever). Still having major bowel problems (inability to empty rectum...any ideas?? ).

I'd like to be on House, MD as a medical mystery.

Married to Craig, a saint amongst men...who puts up with me and my eccentricities...

Connor & Mommy by the tree:

Connor with Santa...so happy!

I take: LIQUID Atarax, Flomax, Soma (yet again), acidophilus, Glucosamine/Chondroitin with MSM & collagen, d-mannose. MAJOR flare from Cystoprotek! Re-trying freeze dried aloe vera w/some decent results!

Tried and failed: Elavil, Ultram, Prosed DS, Benadryl, Bentyl, Valium, Ativan, Zanaflex, Librax, Sanctura (all caused retention among other things), bladder instills (owwwwww!), Elmiron (allergic-throat tightening). Failed Interstim-no feeling in sacral nerves...

I'm allergic to penicillan, sulfa, reglan, quinolones, clindamycin, and now LATEX!

Hi there,

I usually recommend a children's formula (much less of a dose to bother the bladder) and if you can go to a natural food or vitamin store, ask for everything "free": artificial flavor free, artificial color free, etc...I heard recently that Trader Joe's has one, but I have not checked it out. To prevent going on a wild goose chase, give one a call and ask. Much nicer on an IC bladder than driving miles and miles to the bearest store only to wander around helplessly looking for something that doesn't exist. ;-)

I hope that helps!
    Julie Beyer, MA, RDN
    IC Dietitian, Patient Advocate, Speaker, & Author

Did you know that up to 94% of interstitial cystitis patients find some symptom relief when they change their diet, and that dietary modification is recommended as a first line treatment for IC? Check out the IC Food List to get started!

Do you need a little more help understanding the IC Diet? Schedule a phone or video coaching session through the ICN Store today.

You can also learn more while supporting the ICN message boards by clicking on these book covers and buying the Confident Choices books from the ICN Store:

........ ........

Other IC Diet Resources:

IC Diet Webinar
    IC Diet Website
    For Health Professionals: Continuing Education About Interstitial Cystitis and Diet
    Free IC Diet Booklet: What Can I Eat?
    Confident Choices IC Diet Blog
    IC Diet Newsletter

*Let's Connect!*

Comment

vitamin shoppe

I get mine at Vitamin Shoppe. I avoid B & C vitamins all together. SO I buy a multi-mineral (without iron b/c it can cause constipation---bad for IC), and I also buy A&D which come in the same bottle, Vitamin E by itself, and Vitamin K by itself. All of the ones I named I buy the generic Vitamin Shoppe brand, they have a website if there's not one near you. The generics don't have extra fillers and dyes that irritate me. I honestly find their brand to be the best I have tried and I've tried a lot of different things.

I hadn't thought of doing the children's vitamin idea, that is a good idea, but what I'm doing now works for me so I'm gonna stick with it. But that was a good one I hadn't thought of.

I'm also personally too scared to try the Ester C b/c I'm coming down from a flare and I don't want to ruin my progress. But once I feel better I'm going to try the Ester-C.

I'm a little worried b/c I'm of child bearing age (30) and have never had kids and we would like some soon. I knoooooow I won't be able to tolerate the prenatal vitamins and folate is such an important vitamin in developing fetuses and low consumption of it can cause spinal cord defects like spina bifida. I've bought just folate and it kills me. Maybe my insurance company will cover a nutritionist under the circumstances to make sure I'm eating enough in my regular diet.

Anyway, I'm blabbering on and on, hope that helps.
      Lee Ann
      Current Rx Meds:
      Atarax, Ditropan, Elmiron
      Prior to pregnancy: The above 3 meds PLUS Neurontin, Topamax, Loratadine, continuous OrthoCyclen, Lidocaine Patches PRN, Temazepam PRN, & Vicodin PRN
      Hooray for babies!
      Misc. lifesavers: Hot baths, ThermaCare Heat Wraps, Ice Packs. The IC Diet has changed my life.
      Didn't work for me:
      Detrol LA, Amitryptiline, Morphine, Percocet, TENS unit, Interferential Pain Stimulator Unit, Hypogastric Plexus Nerve Block
      IC (Mod-Severe) since 1996

UPDATE: 5/21/08 Pregnancy and breastfeeding afterwards have alleviated my IC symptoms more than anything, EVER. Most days are 100% pain free & I now have normal frequency (as long as I take these 3 meds).

My little sweetie! Jack weighed 9 lbs 12 oz and was born via c-section on Feb. 28, 2008...

Comment

Thanks. I have children's vits but they don't give an adult the full amt they need and have a whole bunch of fillers in them that frankly don't help! I'll look at the Vit Shoppe though.
        (Added by ICNMgrJill on 5/19/08. I am sad to share that Verdicries (aka Tracy) lost her life in a tragic accident just a few days ago. We will miss her support, her encouragement, her sense of humor and, of course, the joy that she found as a mother and wife).

Tracy ~ 29 years old with Toxoplasmosis (from birth), Fibro/CFS (since age 13...ouch), severe IC, IBS-D, severe PFD (surgery made it even worse), vulvodynia, hiatal hernia, GERD, ulcers, severe gastritis, numbness/tingling in extremeties, pelvic nerve damage--mainly urethral, urinary retention, pelvic reconstruction 7.10.07 (fixed rectocele, rectal prolapse, lifted bladder, urethra, uterus, and repaired vaginal walls), Raynaud's, 2 severely herniated discs in neck and one in low back, anemia, PCOS, anxiety/depression/panic attacks (since forever). Still having major bowel problems (inability to empty rectum...any ideas?? ).

I'd like to be on House, MD as a medical mystery.

Married to Craig, a saint amongst men...who puts up with me and my eccentricities...

Connor & Mommy by the tree:

Connor with Santa...so happy!

I take: LIQUID Atarax, Flomax, Soma (yet again), acidophilus, Glucosamine/Chondroitin with MSM & collagen, d-mannose. MAJOR flare from Cystoprotek! Re-trying freeze dried aloe vera w/some decent results!

Tried and failed: Elavil, Ultram, Prosed DS, Benadryl, Bentyl, Valium, Ativan, Zanaflex, Librax, Sanctura (all caused retention among other things), bladder instills (owwwwww!), Elmiron (allergic-throat tightening). Failed Interstim-no feeling in sacral nerves...

I'm allergic to penicillan, sulfa, reglan, quinolones, clindamycin, and now LATEX!

Comment

I think this vitamin has stearic acid in it. Does this bother anyone?

Comment

Hi LeAnn, I'm new to the site. Wanted to ask you about the multi-mineral vitamin from the Vitamin Shoppe. I noticed that it had stearic acid in it. Is this something that bothers the bladder? I'm just trying to sort out what I can and can't have.

Any info will help.

Thanks, Cindy

Comment

Working...
            X