No announcement yet.

Chocolate, cheese, milk, salad dressing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS. I'd pass on the cheddar for now, it tends to bother many IC patients. Mozzarella comes in slices or shredded. I really like sandwiches with a slice of mozzarella now & if you put a turkey or roast beef sandwich with mozzarella in the microwave for a few seconds, it melts the cheese & you don't need a spread
    Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
    I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
    Source - Pinterest
    "

Current treatments:
    -IC diet
    -Elavil 50mg at night
    -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
    -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
    -Pyridium if needed,
    -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
    -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
    -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
    -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
    -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
    -Managing stress= VERY important!
    -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Comment

Carolyn,

I have always loved vanilla ice cream (with stuff in it though!). I'll think about a vanilla ice cream/shake next time I need something sweet!

Carob... never tried. I'll give it a try though. It is also nice to know that the Wendy's forstees are ok for IC... but I don't fancy them all that much (unless I dip french fries into it... don't ask... childhood treat/quirk) Obviously I don't get that often. I don't eat fast food (can't even remember the last time I did).

I used to eat salad with mandarin oranges and a little bit of ranch... so I'm trying to find a kind I like. I love caesar salad, but I have a feeling that will be off limits too.

I do like mozzarella, but sometimes I really want cheddar (with beans).

Thank you so much for your advice!
      [SIZE="1"][B]Be well, Alyssa :hi:[/B]

[

Comment

Kadi,

Thank you so much for the links! I have the IC newbie kit coming in the mail, so that should have the cookbook. I'm hoping all the information and suggestions you guys are giving me, I will be able to find palatable things to get me through this rough phase and will let me better ID triggers.

Thank you so much! Your suggestions are so helpful! I am really struggling with the changes right now, so all the help and support I get here has helped me tremendously!

[

Comment

Hey! Good news - the online cookbook has different recipes from the one you ordered, so you'll have a bunch to pick from.
          Main thing: learn to read labels! I remember getting totally sick in the beginning & not understanding how "safe" foods could be setting the IC off, but then learning that not all brands have the same ingredients & preservatives are a major trigger for me.
          I'm glad to help. I remember how totally frustrated I was starting out on the diet & how many people helped me out here

Hang in there, it gets easier over time (and as your body heals, you may be able to eat more eventually).
          Kadi

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
          Source - Pinterest
          "

Current treatments:
          -IC diet
          -Elavil 50mg at night
          -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
          -Pyridium if needed,
          -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
          -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed

Comment

Hey Kadi,

On one of the links you sent me, is there a list of preservatives to avoid? I don't really know what is considered a preservative or not on a label. I assume Whole Foods Market type places are safe to try, but I want to be able to pick out potential bad foods when I visit friends/family or shop at a normal grocery store (also, poor college student here, organic foods are expensive!)

I look forward to trying some recipes. I can't cook at all so I need to start with simple things.

Thank you! I know you guys say it gets easier, but it doesn't seem like it will right now (which all of you guys can relate to from your own experiences).

Well, thanks again!

Originally posted by kadi View Post
            Hey! Good news - the online cookbook has different recipes from the one you ordered, so you'll have a bunch to pick from.
            Main thing: learn to read labels! I remember getting totally sick in the beginning & not understanding how "safe" foods could be setting the IC off, but then learning that not all brands have the same ingredients & preservatives are a major trigger for me.
            I'm glad to help. I remember how totally frustrated I was starting out on the diet & how many people helped me out here

Hang in there, it gets easier over time (and as your body heals, you may be able to eat more eventually).

[

Comment

Hi Alyssa,

Preservatives & additives I avoid are:
              BHA & BHT (usually found in cereals)
              Added vitamins & minerals (cereals again)
              Vinegar (breads)
              Dough Conditioners (breads)
              Citric acid
              Sorbic acid
              Malic acid
              Nitrates, nitrites, phosphates (lunch meats)
              Metabisulfite, sulfites, sulfates
              Pretty much anything in a label that I can't figure out

Organic?
              I get organic milk & some of my produce organic, but my mom who has IC does not & doesn't have any trouble with it.

To save $
              I shop once a month at Whole Foods (Also known affectionately as "Whole Paycheck Market") for items I can't get anywhere else: preservative free breads, baked goods, pie crusts (freezer section), cereals without added vitamins/minerals/preservatives. I stock up on these things. And as a single person, I find it helpful to buy several loaves of bread & freeze half of each so that I can have variety without spoilage.

Then once a week, I go to Safeway or Trader Joe's for produce, meats, rice, dairy, pasta, etc.

The easier part happens when you get in a groove where you know what you can eat & can't & stop looking at everything in sight with a microscope, wondering if it's okay.
              I also keep a couple of binders where I print out safe recipes from here or other sites that I like & that makes things much easier too.

Cheers!
              Kadi

Source - Pinterest
              "

Current treatments:
              -IC diet
              -Elavil 50mg at night
              -Pyridium if needed,

Comment

Kadi,

Thank you so much for all that info! It helps so much! I know that I will be paranoid at first, but I sure hope I get into the groove of things. I am definately printing out everything that you have suggested to me! People at the grocery store will think I'm weird, but hey, whatever works! I know people with Celiac Disease and they can't have gluten (which there are many ways to hide it on the label)... so they have to comb the stores with a fine tooth comb too.

Boy this IC is hard for me. Thank you so much for helping me!

[

Comment

chocolate, cereal etc

HI,

I love chocolate as well & miss it a great deal. I have found that I'm fine with white chocolate. Lindt Excellence white chocolate is my favourite - it has natural vanilla. I also like the regular Lindt white choclate bars. I'm sure you will find other brands - but make sure they have few ingredients like the Lindt bars.

I use Chipits white chocolate chips in cookies instead of the semi-sweet ones.

Other sweet things I like are Breyer's all natural vanilla ice cream and Starbuck's vanilla bean frappuccinos. You have to learn to like vanilla. I have bought organic cookies at times - shortbread and animal cookies.

I buy some organic products including these cereals: Nature's Path Oatey Bites & Honey'd Corn Flakes. I buy organic canned beans because they usually are only beans, water and sea salt. I am ok with organic red raisens and prunes (you might not be). I don't buy regular dried fruit because it has sulphites added as a preservative.

Basically you have to read the labels on everything. It takes more time to shop. Making your own food is usually better than buying packaged food.

Good luck,

Kathy

Comment

I am a cholaholic. I just absolutely LOVE it. I eat a piece everyday. I don't think chocolate bothers me since I had a 3 week period of no symptoms. I am finding it really difficult to even stop eating it. I am having bad days. I don't know if it was the chocolate swirl cake I ate at a birthday party Saturday.
                    bunnykinb

6/04 dx Mild IC; 3/06 2nd hydro/cysto w/2nd uro; Moderate IC now. IBS dx 11/03. 6/08 dx Vulva Vestibulitis/Pelvic Floor Spasms. 7/20/15 Feels like I have moderate IC now. Burning again.

tried & failed treatments: Urocit K 2x/day, Prelief & Atarax 25 mg 3/05-6/06; elavil 10mg 11/30/06-2/28/07 (stopped due to hunger); elmiron orally but had throat tightness;heparin instills 1x/mo 9/04-2/05;elmiron instills every 2 wks 7/05-2/06;20 DMSO 7/28/06-9/07.nortriptyline 10mg 4/07-10/07current meds/treatments:Tofrinal 25mg;Yasmin bc. Heparin instills every 2 weeks 2/08-present. Mix: 8cc lidocaine, 8cc heparin (40,000 units), & 3cc sodium bicarb. main symptoms: frequency & labia/clitorial burning

Comment

Kathy,

Well, it's a good thing I do like vanilla... but chocolate.. there is nothing like it! I will seriously miss my chocolate, but once, I made a bet that I could avoid chocolate and Diet Coke for a month. The first 2 weeks were hell, then it got easier. I actually went close to 6 months before having either. I know it will get easier... it's just the initial stages... and not being able to lean on a wonderful, mouthwatering piece of Godiva chocolate!

I will try white chocolate though! Hopefully that won't hurt me!

Thank you!

Originally posted by Kathy in Canada View Post
                      HI,

I love chocolate as well & miss it a great deal. I have found that I'm fine with white chocolate. Lindt Excellence white chocolate is my favourite - it has natural vanilla. I also like the regular Lindt white choclate bars. I'm sure you will find other brands - but make sure they have few ingredients like the Lindt bars.

I use Chipits white chocolate chips in cookies instead of the semi-sweet ones.

Other sweet things I like are Breyer's all natural vanilla ice cream and Starbuck's vanilla bean frappuccinos. You have to learn to like vanilla. I have bought organic cookies at times - shortbread and animal cookies.

I buy some organic products including these cereals: Nature's Path Oatey Bites & Honey'd Corn Flakes. I buy organic canned beans because they usually are only beans, water and sea salt. I am ok with organic red raisens and prunes (you might not be). I don't buy regular dried fruit because it has sulphites added as a preservative.

Basically you have to read the labels on everything. It takes more time to shop. Making your own food is usually better than buying packaged food.

Good luck,

Kathy

[

Comment

I have had a piece of chocolate every day for the last few years (after dinner or pre-exercise treat). I will miss it (and the exercise)! I am hoping I get used to white chocolate or at least tolerate (taste wise and bladder wise).

I'm betting there was something in the cake... not the chocolate that you seem to tolerate. Or maybe you don't tolerate it all the time (IC is apparently unpredictable...)

Originally posted by bunnykinb View Post
                        I am a cholaholic. I just absolutely LOVE it. I eat a piece everyday. I don't think chocolate bothers me since I had a 3 week period of no symptoms. I am finding it really difficult to even stop eating it. I am having bad days. I don't know if it was the chocolate swirl cake I ate at a birthday party Saturday.

[

Comment

Born2swim
                          Omg I just found out Chocolate is bad bad.. I have been doing so good only eating white chocolate.. I ate a piece of birthday cake yesterday and I am paying the price today.. I hope you have got some good ideas on what you can and cannot eat.. Keep us informed on how your doing
                          Hugs
                          Ronda

ONE Second, ONE Bite, ONE Breath, ONE Pill, ONE Minute, ONE Teardrop, ONE Hour, ONE Sip.. ONE DAY! I will Prevail from this disease! IC Hoping for a Cure!

Link to Patient Handbook:
                          http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Diet Reference Sheet:
                          http://www.ic-network.com/diet/icndi...tsheet0909.pdf

Meds For IC: Lyrica-25mg Glucosamine-500 MSM-500mg, Prosed Ds -When Flaring

Other Meds: Levlite- Continious Birtcontrol, Micardis-40mg for High Blood Pressure

Meds I have Tried:
                          Topamax,Tofranil, Elmiron, Atarax, Cymbalta, Elavil, Enablex, Detral La, Prydium.
                          Lexapro< Bad reaction to this med!
                          Intstills, could not continue them due to some kind of reaction after 3rd instill. Tasted the lidocaine in my mouth, tongue and lips went numb then went into what seemed like a panic attack. Shaking, racing heart, tingling face/head, blood pressure shot up..

Dx With IC in Nov 2006 with Hydro/Cysto
                          Hydro/Cysto Caused Bladder to Rupture.

Other Dxs-Vulvodynia,Fibro, Endo, IBS, HPV, Migraines, Spastic Colon, Mild Dysplasia.

ICN Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

Working...
                          X