X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leelee88
    replied
    Born2swim
    Omg I just found out Chocolate is bad bad.. I have been doing so good only eating white chocolate.. I ate a piece of birthday cake yesterday and I am paying the price today.. I hope you have got some good ideas on what you can and cannot eat.. Keep us informed on how your doing

Leave a comment:

• born2swim
    replied
    I have had a piece of chocolate every day for the last few years (after dinner or pre-exercise treat). I will miss it (and the exercise)! I am hoping I get used to white chocolate or at least tolerate (taste wise and bladder wise).

I'm betting there was something in the cake... not the chocolate that you seem to tolerate. Or maybe you don't tolerate it all the time (IC is apparently unpredictable...)

Originally posted by bunnykinb View Post
    I am a cholaholic. I just absolutely LOVE it. I eat a piece everyday. I don't think chocolate bothers me since I had a 3 week period of no symptoms. I am finding it really difficult to even stop eating it. I am having bad days. I don't know if it was the chocolate swirl cake I ate at a birthday party Saturday.

Leave a comment:

• born2swim
    replied
    Kathy,

Well, it's a good thing I do like vanilla... but chocolate.. there is nothing like it! I will seriously miss my chocolate, but once, I made a bet that I could avoid chocolate and Diet Coke for a month. The first 2 weeks were hell, then it got easier. I actually went close to 6 months before having either. I know it will get easier... it's just the initial stages... and not being able to lean on a wonderful, mouthwatering piece of Godiva chocolate!

I will try white chocolate though! Hopefully that won't hurt me!

Thank you!

Originally posted by Kathy in Canada View Post
    HI,

I love chocolate as well & miss it a great deal. I have found that I'm fine with white chocolate. Lindt Excellence white chocolate is my favourite - it has natural vanilla. I also like the regular Lindt white choclate bars. I'm sure you will find other brands - but make sure they have few ingredients like the Lindt bars.

I use Chipits white chocolate chips in cookies instead of the semi-sweet ones.

Other sweet things I like are Breyer's all natural vanilla ice cream and Starbuck's vanilla bean frappuccinos. You have to learn to like vanilla. I have bought organic cookies at times - shortbread and animal cookies.

I buy some organic products including these cereals: Nature's Path Oatey Bites & Honey'd Corn Flakes. I buy organic canned beans because they usually are only beans, water and sea salt. I am ok with organic red raisens and prunes (you might not be). I don't buy regular dried fruit because it has sulphites added as a preservative.

Basically you have to read the labels on everything. It takes more time to shop. Making your own food is usually better than buying packaged food.

Good luck,

Kathy

Leave a comment:

• bunnykinb
    replied
    I am a cholaholic. I just absolutely LOVE it. I eat a piece everyday. I don't think chocolate bothers me since I had a 3 week period of no symptoms. I am finding it really difficult to even stop eating it. I am having bad days. I don't know if it was the chocolate swirl cake I ate at a birthday party Saturday.

Leave a comment:

• Kathy in Canada
    replied
    chocolate, cereal etc

HI,

I love chocolate as well & miss it a great deal. I have found that I'm fine with white chocolate. Lindt Excellence white chocolate is my favourite - it has natural vanilla. I also like the regular Lindt white choclate bars. I'm sure you will find other brands - but make sure they have few ingredients like the Lindt bars.

I use Chipits white chocolate chips in cookies instead of the semi-sweet ones.

Other sweet things I like are Breyer's all natural vanilla ice cream and Starbuck's vanilla bean frappuccinos. You have to learn to like vanilla. I have bought organic cookies at times - shortbread and animal cookies.

I buy some organic products including these cereals: Nature's Path Oatey Bites & Honey'd Corn Flakes. I buy organic canned beans because they usually are only beans, water and sea salt. I am ok with organic red raisens and prunes (you might not be). I don't buy regular dried fruit because it has sulphites added as a preservative.

Basically you have to read the labels on everything. It takes more time to shop. Making your own food is usually better than buying packaged food.

Good luck,

Kathy

Leave a comment:

• born2swim
    replied
    Kadi,

Thank you so much for all that info! It helps so much! I know that I will be paranoid at first, but I sure hope I get into the groove of things. I am definately printing out everything that you have suggested to me! People at the grocery store will think I'm weird, but hey, whatever works! I know people with Celiac Disease and they can't have gluten (which there are many ways to hide it on the label)... so they have to comb the stores with a fine tooth comb too.

Boy this IC is hard for me. Thank you so much for helping me!

Leave a comment:

• kadi
    replied
    Hi Alyssa,

Preservatives & additives I avoid are:
    BHA & BHT (usually found in cereals)
    Added vitamins & minerals (cereals again)
    Vinegar (breads)
    Dough Conditioners (breads)
    Citric acid
    Sorbic acid
    Malic acid
    Nitrates, nitrites, phosphates (lunch meats)
    Metabisulfite, sulfites, sulfates
    Pretty much anything in a label that I can't figure out

Organic?
    I get organic milk & some of my produce organic, but my mom who has IC does not & doesn't have any trouble with it.

To save $
    I shop once a month at Whole Foods (Also known affectionately as "Whole Paycheck Market") for items I can't get anywhere else: preservative free breads, baked goods, pie crusts (freezer section), cereals without added vitamins/minerals/preservatives. I stock up on these things. And as a single person, I find it helpful to buy several loaves of bread & freeze half of each so that I can have variety without spoilage.

Then once a week, I go to Safeway or Trader Joe's for produce, meats, rice, dairy, pasta, etc.

The easier part happens when you get in a groove where you know what you can eat & can't & stop looking at everything in sight with a microscope, wondering if it's okay.
    I also keep a couple of binders where I print out safe recipes from here or other sites that I like & that makes things much easier too.

Cheers!

Leave a comment:

• born2swim
    replied
    Hey Kadi,

On one of the links you sent me, is there a list of preservatives to avoid? I don't really know what is considered a preservative or not on a label. I assume Whole Foods Market type places are safe to try, but I want to be able to pick out potential bad foods when I visit friends/family or shop at a normal grocery store (also, poor college student here, organic foods are expensive!)

I look forward to trying some recipes. I can't cook at all so I need to start with simple things.

Thank you! I know you guys say it gets easier, but it doesn't seem like it will right now (which all of you guys can relate to from your own experiences).

Well, thanks again!

Originally posted by kadi View Post
    Hey! Good news - the online cookbook has different recipes from the one you ordered, so you'll have a bunch to pick from.
    Main thing: learn to read labels! I remember getting totally sick in the beginning & not understanding how "safe" foods could be setting the IC off, but then learning that not all brands have the same ingredients & preservatives are a major trigger for me.
    I'm glad to help. I remember how totally frustrated I was starting out on the diet & how many people helped me out here

Hang in there, it gets easier over time (and as your body heals, you may be able to eat more eventually).

Leave a comment:

• kadi
    replied
    Hey! Good news - the online cookbook has different recipes from the one you ordered, so you'll have a bunch to pick from.
    Main thing: learn to read labels! I remember getting totally sick in the beginning & not understanding how "safe" foods could be setting the IC off, but then learning that not all brands have the same ingredients & preservatives are a major trigger for me.
    I'm glad to help. I remember how totally frustrated I was starting out on the diet & how many people helped me out here

Hang in there, it gets easier over time (and as your body heals, you may be able to eat more eventually).

Leave a comment:

• born2swim
    replied
    Kadi,

Thank you so much for the links! I have the IC newbie kit coming in the mail, so that should have the cookbook. I'm hoping all the information and suggestions you guys are giving me, I will be able to find palatable things to get me through this rough phase and will let me better ID triggers.

Thank you so much! Your suggestions are so helpful! I am really struggling with the changes right now, so all the help and support I get here has helped me tremendously!

Leave a comment:

• born2swim
    replied
    Carolyn,

I have always loved vanilla ice cream (with stuff in it though!). I'll think about a vanilla ice cream/shake next time I need something sweet!

Carob... never tried. I'll give it a try though. It is also nice to know that the Wendy's forstees are ok for IC... but I don't fancy them all that much (unless I dip french fries into it... don't ask... childhood treat/quirk) Obviously I don't get that often. I don't eat fast food (can't even remember the last time I did).

I used to eat salad with mandarin oranges and a little bit of ranch... so I'm trying to find a kind I like. I love caesar salad, but I have a feeling that will be off limits too.

I do like mozzarella, but sometimes I really want cheddar (with beans).

Thank you so much for your advice!

Leave a comment:

• kadi
    replied
    PS. I'd pass on the cheddar for now, it tends to bother many IC patients. Mozzarella comes in slices or shredded. I really like sandwiches with a slice of mozzarella now & if you put a turkey or roast beef sandwich with mozzarella in the microwave for a few seconds, it melts the cheese & you don't need a spread

Leave a comment:

• kadi
    replied
    Hi Alyssa,
    Here is a sample shopping list, an overview of the diet & the link for the cookbook.

What made the diet easier for me to figure out is the IC diet in 3 columns ("usually ok", "sometimes ok", "usually not ok"). It's in the "Understanding diet & IC" article below. I started out eating only in the "usually ok" foods, then one at a time added in the "sometimes ok" waiting a few days between each trial to see if my symptoms increased.

Here are a few resources for you as well:

Article on understanding diet & IC
    http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/diet.html

IC Chef Cookbook:
    http://www.ic-network.com/icchef/

Safeway "shopping list"
    http://www.ic-network.com/forum/show...t=Safeway+list

Sending a hug & wishing you better days soon!

Leave a comment:

• born2swim
    replied
    Donna! So white chocolate is ok for some IC patients??? In the past, if I chose to eat chocolate, I always went with dark or milk chocolate (the white chocolate was too sugary sweet). Beggers can't be choosers! I'll give that a try to see if I can tolerate it! I do need something sweet now-and-then! Also, I think my protein shake (which has a bit of chocolate) bothers me too (not as bad as a chocolate bar though). I took Prelief before having it, but it still made me feel bad.

With cheese... if I got Kraft cheddar, would that be ok? It isn't like a block of cheese from the deli, so is that ok? I will try mozzarella sticks, but I love cheddar!

Boy, eating out with IC will be a challenge now

Leave a comment:

• born2swim
    replied
    Kim, what a sad trigger to have! In the last year, I developed a love for dark chocolate... so sad to give it up!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X