is it the food? or is it just me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is it the food? or is it just me?

I was just diagnosed with IC April 28, 07.. not to long ago.. before the surgery.. when i felt the urge to urinate.. i would.. and it was a good amount of urine.. but now, i feel that same urge to have to urinate.. but hardly anything comes out.. i called my doctor to make sure i didn't have a UTI.. which i ended up not having.. but im still having the urge to pee, and not urinating very much.. i've started the diet.. and have been gradually adding certain foods back to see what bothers me.. so say i ate a spicy food.. id feel the urge to have to pee alot.. and i would.. but say i didnt consume anything that would affect my bladder.. i still get the urge to pee.. but hardly do.. does anyone else have this problem? if so, what is it.. and could it be something im eating? it is soooooo annoying!

Sadly, it's not just you. That's one of the major symptoms we all have. It's very frustrating. You can do things like stand up and sit back down, run water, and a bunch of things I can't think of right now. Other's will hopefully chime in here.

Good luck! and Welcome to The ICN!
    http://www.TheCraftyEwe.etsy.com

Comment

i never had this symptom until after i had the surgery.. and it also burns now when i urinate sometimes.. but that also never happened before the surgery.. the only thing i had was very frequent urination.. and sometimes random shots of pain.. but never this urge and not being able to go.. and never burning.. i once thought i was still in the healing process from the surgery.. but i think im healed by now.. do u find that strange that only now im having these symptoms?

Comment

It can take up to six weeks to fully recover so that could be that you just need a little more time to heal. You also should be checked to be sure you don't have an infection from the procedure --- that does sometimes happen.

If you just started the diet after your diagnosis, that's not nearly enough time to be adding back foods. I suggest that you follow the diet totally until you begin to feel better, which could take quite a while. Only then should you begin to add foods back into your diet. And after you add a food, if it doesn't increase your symptoms, wait several days before adding another.

Sending healing thoughts,
        Donna
        Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
        Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
        Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
        [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

HI! I agree with Donna. It can take a while to feel the effect of a trigger food. Some times I can eat a trigger food on one day with no problem....but if I eat it again the next day....I'll flare. So give your body time to heal from all the foods.
          Also.....you didn't say if you dr. has given you any meds to start on? Elmiron and Elavil work great (both are presciptions) In the mean time run to the pharmacy and get some AZO. It helps calm your bladder down and helps with burning.
          IC is very frustating! Just when you think you get it figured out you get a flare outta no where! But just keep at it......hopefully soon you'll get the hang of all it and get back to a more normal life. (((hugs))) Roxie

Double Spinal Cord Stimulator surgery 8/09
          Unsuccessful MiniArc sling surgery 12/07
          Dx'd Hypothyroid
          Dx'd Chronic Axonal Neuropathy & Myopathy
          June 2007
          Dx'd IC May 2006 (after suffering for 25+ yrs!)
          First Cysto 1979
          First Hydro 1981 (Many treatments since then!)
          Collagin"Durasphere" injections for urethra
          Gall bladder surgery Aug. 2004
          Gastric Bypass Dec. 2004
          Dx'd: Barrett's Esphogus July 2004
          Dx'd: Vaginal Atrophy 2005
          Bladder surgery 2000
          Dx'd: IBS 2000
          Hysterectomy (fibroids) 1999
          Laminectomy 1989
          Dx'd: Degerative Disk Disorder 1989

For IC I use Elmiron, Elavil and Freeze dried Aloe Vera (it works likes Elmiron, but naturally)and Azo as needed. I also take Zegerid, Randitine for Barrett's Esophagus. (which causes me to have constant yeast infections!)I take Cymbalta for Neuopathy/Myopathy pain. I use the Climara patch for menopause symptoms. I'm on a very strict diet because of the IC, IBS and Gastric Bypass. I take Primal Defense Probiotics and whole food Iron.
          I no longer have the awful urethral pain! I've been using MSM gel now for 4 mo. and haven't had a flare up or the urethra pain.....it's amazing stuff!!:woohoo:

Comment

my dr. didn't prescribe me any medication. my symptoms were frequent urination and rare pain.. is there any medication for frequent urination?

thank you for the help.. i didn't realize it took that long to heal.. is the urge to urinate and not being able to as well as the burning attributed to the surgery?

Comment

Are you just seening a GYN? It sounds like you need to see an URO. who specializes in IC. Elavil greatly helps with urgency and frequency......and AZO is just an over the counter med that works great too. Elmiron helps rebuild the mucus lining in the bladder. Freeze dried Aloe Vera does that too and you can buy that right here on this site from Desert Harvest. Both of those meds are long term......as we didn't lose the mucus lining over night so it takes at least 6-12 mo. before you start to see results from them.....but when you do, it's great! Roxie

Dx'd Hypothyroid
              June 2007
              First Cysto 1979
              Gastric Bypass Dec. 2004
              Bladder surgery 2000
              Laminectomy 1989

For IC I use Elmiron, Elavil and Freeze dried Aloe Vera (it works likes Elmiron, but naturally)and Azo as needed. I also take Zegerid, Randitine for Barrett's Esophagus. (which causes me to have constant yeast infections!)I take Cymbalta for Neuopathy/Myopathy pain. I use the Climara patch for menopause symptoms. I'm on a very strict diet because of the IC, IBS and Gastric Bypass. I take Primal Defense Probiotics and whole food Iron.
              I no longer have the awful urethral pain! I've been using MSM gel now for 4 mo. and haven't had a flare up or the urethra pain.....it's amazing stuff!!:woohoo:

Comment

I went to a urologist.. i had surgery april 27.. cystoscopy.. distension.. he didnt really tell me much about what he did.. and told me i had to research it on my own.. he said if within 2-3 weeks, i didnt feel any improvement.. then i should call him back and we would do that thing where they flush your bladder with this medication and you let it out 20 mins later..i feel like i was just left in the dark after the surgery.. he told me what i had and that was it

Comment

WOW sounds like you need to find a new dr! Some dr.s are such idiots with no bedside manners. Why don't you post a message here on the site telling what city and state you live and that you are looking for a good IC dr? I'm sure you'll get a few answers back. You shouldn't have to wait for weeks while you are in pain. I hope things get better for you. Roxie

Dx'd Hypothyroid
                  June 2007
                  First Cysto 1979
                  Gastric Bypass Dec. 2004
                  Bladder surgery 2000
                  Laminectomy 1989

Comment

Working...
                  X