X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• born2swim
    replied
    Originally posted by Jcdc35 View Post
    I am a coffee junkie. A major reason why I'm here today I have been drinking Trader Joe's low acid decaf. I have been drinking 8 oz a day and have had no problem. I just wanted to share that. I have also ordered Teeccino and am going to try that over the weekend. I will be looking for the rest of my life for a coffee substitute. I cannot give up that taste.
    The other day I though I'd try some decaf Hazelnut coffee from The Fresh Market. I had about 4-6 ounces and it was the best tasting thing I have ever had in my life. I used to drink decaf coffee (can't tolerate caffeine) and I have missed it so much. Those 4-6 ounces ended up being the worst 2-3 days I have had in months. Coffee for me is completely off limits

Leave a comment:

• born2swim
    replied
    When I was in high school I drank a ton of coffe (6- 8 cups a day of strong coffee). I began to have breathing problems and then it became severe enough that I wound up in the ER 2 times. They looked at me, heard my mom was dying from cancer, and said it was anxiet without doing any testing. Come to find out later it was an allergy to caffeine. I had to stop all caffeine cold turkey... and let me tell you that was torture! I used sugar to keep me going, fix the mood swings, etc. Then when the caffeine withdrawls were over, I started to lower the sugar content. It was hard, believe me, but doable.

Good luck (if you do decide to give up the caffeine!)

Leave a comment:

• Jcdc35
    replied
    The Vanilla nut is my favorite so far. I have tried the Maya Mocha and the Maya Java. I got a sample pack with 10 packs. I try a different flavor every work day. I like them all so far but none of it is coffee to me. I still have my 8 oz regular in the morning but I'm going to make the switch to 8 oz low acid decaf because it's not really worth it. I'll finish the samples and let you know what flavor was best.

Denise

Leave a comment:

• Charisse
    replied
    Let me know how you like the Teecino. I really love the vanilla nut one but am afraid to drink too much because it contains high amounts of inulin fiber which has upset my IBS in the past. Anyone else notice this from Teecino?

Leave a comment:

• Jcdc35
    replied
    I am a coffee junkie. A major reason why I'm here today I have been drinking Trader Joe's low acid decaf. I have been drinking 8 oz a day and have had no problem. I just wanted to share that. I have also ordered Teeccino and am going to try that over the weekend. I will be looking for the rest of my life for a coffee substitute. I cannot give up that taste.

Leave a comment:

• slaston
    replied
    If prelief is too expensive, just try drinking an 8oz glass of water with a tsp of baking soda in it. That's what my urologist told me to do.

Leave a comment:

• runningshoe
    replied
    If you live on the east coast Hannaford stores are now stocking low acid coffee. I bought the Toddy maker AND use low acid coffee. I only have a little though.....

Leave a comment:

• Briza
    replied
    Coffee was hard for me to give up, but have found that one cup of decaf with half milk is tolerable. I've never drank much soda, just an occasional diet Coke, and I do miss that, but it does a number on me so I think I've had only 3 since 2003. I like rootbeer, some report that it is more tolerable than other sodas, so I occasionally get one at Dairy Queen, they put a lot of that great crushed ice in it and haven't had any problems with that.
    What I really found though, was that it was the actual ritual of making coffee in the mornings before work and sitting down to sip it before heading off to wrk was what I missed the most, so I started making a fresh iced chammolie tea (don't like hot tea) in the mornings and that has become my main ritual now, and reserve the coffee for the weekends. It's hot where I live most of the time, so the iced chammomile tea is really refreshing.
    I get the decaf espresso beans, grind them, and have a fun Italian stovetop espresso maker, so weekend coffee has become a real treat.

Leave a comment:

• pingpong
    replied
    Recently I read somewhere that espresso beans are lower in acid than regular beans because the longer roasting time somehow reduces the acid. I have no idea how reliable this information is - has anyone else read or heard something along these lines? Giving up coffee is a major sacrifice for me, so I've been using low-acid coffee in my toddy (it's a cold-brew method that is supposed to minimize the amount of acid in the coffee - ICDonna has referred to it several times) and I still need to limit myself to one cup a day. Luckily, I've never been much of a soft drink fan, other than the original Coke in the 6-1/2 oz. glass bottles! (It just doesn't taste the same from a can or a 2-liter plastic bottle.)

Leave a comment:

• Jcdc35
    replied
    I am brand new and I just received my IC diet yesterday. I almost burst into tears when she told me I could have 1 8oz cup of coffee a day. I drink at least 64 oz a day. She said that is a huge part of the problem for me. After reading these posts I am feeling so much better. Thank goodness you folks are here

Leave a comment:

• Charisse
    replied
    Donna I don't think soda is worth it to me either. I have had a couple of A&W root beers over ice and they seem okay but no more cola or sprite. I guess diet sodas are even worse. It is funny trying to explain this diet to people because they just don't get it. They ask "even Sprite or diet soda?" It's the coffee I really crave. I will have to look for that low-acid coffee at TJ's. I bought the Folgers brand which is actually not bad although I'm a huge espresso fan so regular coffee doesn't usually cut it for me. I will have to research to see if they make low-acid espresso. I am pretty sure they don't because I recall reading that it's the heat and compression of the espresso that pulls the acid into it. I bought some Teeccino from Whole Foods which is a coffee substitute that is acid-free. It actually tastes very good -almost better than real coffee although it pretty much tastes like coffee. I thought it would taste horrible but it didn't. However there's no caffeine in it so I was missing my energy boost. Thanks again for responding everyone. This website has been so helpful to me!! Oh and one last question. Can anyone here tolerate Splenda? I know Aspartame is on the no-list but just wondering about Splenda? Charisse

Leave a comment:

• ICNDonna
    replied
    I can have a cup of coffee in the morning if it's low acid. I've been getting it from Trader Joe's --- it's not caffeine free, but for me the problem is acid. I also have a toddy maker, which further reduces the acid without giving up the caffeine.

I did, however, totally give up carbonated beverages, It just isn't worth it.

Donna

Leave a comment:

• Charisse
    replied
    I'm so glad I'm not the only one who can't give up my coffee!! I have been using Prelief when I drink the espressos and so far I have not noticed it causing any significant pain. I have totally given up soda and even chocolate which I thought I could never do. I can't drink Crystal Light either -it's the hardest on my bladder out of anything. It gives me immediate urgency issues. Charisse

Leave a comment:

• dg2901
    replied
    I have 2 espressos every night. There are certain things that I wont give up and one of them is coffee. I do however take a couple of Prelief just so I know I at least attempted to ward off any discomfort the coffee may cause.

Leave a comment:

• lasrlsrps
    replied
    I usally don't have much caffine since I have Menier's Disease witch is ringing in the ears, if I have alot of caffine or salt it goes ski rocketed and it sounds like a freight train going though my head, not good. I also get so nauses and sick for hours with the headach that comply's with this. I have also noticed also with these products that my IC flair up! To deal with both at the same time, I'd have to have an injection of morfine or vidion in my system. I have so far advoided this since I don't like ER visit's and I will be going back to my doctor, I find diet drinks ok, but that also depends. Try Crytal light or having decaf coffee for breakfast and see if that helps, my husband likes his stong too, so I know! I hope you find an alteritive. Does prelief work? Can you get something like that over the counter? I can't afford it here online right now, but it would sure be nice to have.

Lori

Leave a comment:

Working...
X