Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eating Out on IC Diet

Hey guys,

What are some good things to order at restaurants if you want to follow the IC Diet? My husband and I love to go out to eat. Besides a baked potato or sweet potato, I never know what to order. I seem to be pretty diet sensitive.

I was really missing Starbucks and feeling so sad and so left out every time people would go----I couldn't have tea or coffee. Even the chamomile seems to bother me. But someone told me to get chai or steamed milk with a little of the Torani syrup flavorings. Some of the syrups are even sugar free. I was so happy! I tried it and it is sooooo good and doesn't bother my bladder at all. So now I don't feel left out of the coffee experience anymore.

I would love to have more IC Diet friendly ideas for things to eat in public.

Thanks ! ! !
    Lee Ann
    Current Rx Meds:
    Atarax, Ditropan, Elmiron
    Prior to pregnancy: The above 3 meds PLUS Neurontin, Topamax, Loratadine, continuous OrthoCyclen, Lidocaine Patches PRN, Temazepam PRN, & Vicodin PRN
    Hooray for babies!
    Misc. lifesavers: Hot baths, ThermaCare Heat Wraps, Ice Packs. The IC Diet has changed my life.
    Didn't work for me:
    Detrol LA, Amitryptiline, Morphine, Percocet, TENS unit, Interferential Pain Stimulator Unit, Hypogastric Plexus Nerve Block
    IC (Mod-Severe) since 1996

UPDATE: 5/21/08 Pregnancy and breastfeeding afterwards have alleviated my IC symptoms more than anything, EVER. Most days are 100% pain free & I now have normal frequency (as long as I take these 3 meds).

My little sweetie! Jack weighed 9 lbs 12 oz and was born via c-section on Feb. 28, 2008...

Yeah! I need some ideas too. I do get the vanilla bean frappiccino at Starbucks-it doesn't have any caffene in it, I have them make it light so its not so fattening either.

Isn't the chai decaf? I have always been afraid to try any decaf anything. Can others drink this? I use to love the decaf chai tea blend.

What other ideas are there on eating out?
    The happiest people don't neccessarily have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything that comes their way!!

Meds:
    IC: Elmiron, Tofranil, Hydroxyzine, Prosed DS, stool softener
    UC: Asacol

Comment

chai

Oh I mean the chai that is just steamed milk---it's just made with chai spices. It's not coffee at all. I get skim milk. But even the skim milk tastes really good.
      Lee Ann
      Current Rx Meds:
      Atarax, Ditropan, Elmiron
      Prior to pregnancy: The above 3 meds PLUS Neurontin, Topamax, Loratadine, continuous OrthoCyclen, Lidocaine Patches PRN, Temazepam PRN, & Vicodin PRN
      Hooray for babies!
      Misc. lifesavers: Hot baths, ThermaCare Heat Wraps, Ice Packs. The IC Diet has changed my life.
      Didn't work for me:
      Detrol LA, Amitryptiline, Morphine, Percocet, TENS unit, Interferential Pain Stimulator Unit, Hypogastric Plexus Nerve Block
      IC (Mod-Severe) since 1996

UPDATE: 5/21/08 Pregnancy and breastfeeding afterwards have alleviated my IC symptoms more than anything, EVER. Most days are 100% pain free & I now have normal frequency (as long as I take these 3 meds).

My little sweetie! Jack weighed 9 lbs 12 oz and was born via c-section on Feb. 28, 2008...

Comment

Just thought I'd share, as I found out the hard way....(at the hair salon)
        Chai is the Indian word for *tea* and it can be decaf, but I found most have caffeine....and this *tea* has other spices to make it taste...well different.

I have to have decaf or all sorts of bad things happen these days...I do fine with Dunkin's Decaf with Sugar (Sugar free stuff like equal, sweet-n-low makes my IC and IBS unhappy).

I've done really well with Rooibos tea (sounds like Roy-Bos) I think cos its a shrub or herb and not tea per se....its so hard to keep all this stuff straight soemtimes
        Somewhere there's a reason /Why things go like they do /Somewhere there's a reason /Why some things just fall through /We don't always see them /For what they really are /But I know there's a reason /Just can't see it from this far /Maybe I don't like it, /But I have no choice /I know that somewhere, /Someone hears my voice / I thought I knew it all /I thought I had it made /How could it end this way? /I thought I knew Somewhere there's a reason /Why things don't go my way /Somewhere there's a reason /That I cannot explain /Just like the change of season, /Just may not be my turn /But I know there's a reason, /The lesson's mine to learn

Comment

Eating out on IC diet

Hi,

Here are some of the things I eat in restaurants:

Fish, (trout or salmon are my favourites) - grilled. I tell them to put no lemon on it. Steak, roast beef, burgers with cheese and lettuce, grilled or roast chicken (I don't eat the skin of any that are spiced like Swiss Chalet, veal chops, lamb (not in a sauce - maybe rack of lamb or chops), eggs, pasta without tomatoes in it (I have had spagetti with garlic, olive oil, broccoli rabe and chicken - it was great - make sure they don't add chillies to it), pizza with no tomato sauce - only green peppers, mushrooms, mozzarella and oregano. At Subway I get the roast chicken on white bread and add lettuce, green peppers, cucumber, white cheese, salt and pepper.

If you find a chinese restaurant that will leave out msg, you might be able to eat things like chicken with snowpeas, chicken guy ding, etc.

I can eat Pho- I usually get the chicken one and have them add vegetables. I put Thai basil in it. The restaurant I go to makes their own broth & it has no MSG.

I can order any plain vegetables. I put butter on them or maybe olive oil. I order salad without dressing and ask for olive oil to put on it with salt and pepper.

Some of the desserts I eat out are: creme caramel, creme brulee, pear or almond pastries as long as they are not glazed with jam, vanilla ice cream or gelato, white cake or cupcakes, pastries made with white chocolate.

I drink mint tea at most coffee places. I am fine with the vanilla bean frapuccino at Starbucks.

I hope this helps some.

Kathy

Comment

I usually end up at a salad bar or eat chicken when we go out. If it's a place where they serve breakfasts all day, I order hash browns with eggs. At fast food places, I order a cheeseburger with just lettuce. Last night I picked up a pizza without red sauce for my family.

Donna
            Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
            Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
            Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
            [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Working...
            X